The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jan 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #678 of 1,456
I own an iPhone 4S, so I'm not sure if my observations are of any use here, but:

Interesting thoughts. you found it lacking vs what, exactly?

Sorry, I never got back to you.

I usually use an iPod 5th gen with a JDS Labs C5[D] for my portable setup, but my observations can also be compared to my desktop setup too (Objective DAC/2 or Objective DAC/JDS Labs C5[D]).

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #679 of 1,456

Hey, weren't you a die hard AK120 user?

I still am with the S-mod. But with the Flat 4 Sui the X5 definitely pairs better and I enjoy it better overall :). The S-mod in terms of overall sound quality and technicality still wins by far. But synergy also plays a big roll in it all.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #680 of 1,456

I still am with the S-mod. But with the Flat 4 Sui the X5 definitely pairs better and I enjoy it better overall :). The S-mod in terms of overall sound quality and technicality still wins by far. But synergy also plays a big roll in it all.

Aha how would you rate X5 against an unmodded AK?

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #681 of 1,456
Using them with the 1Plus2 I'd still give the nod to the AK120. But it is hard to justify the AK120s MSRP pricing when the Fiio hits pretty high for its asking price. Both have good UIs but the Fiio is more polished overall. The AK120 has a more polished finish and looks to be of higher quality (I'd sure hope so @ its price...).

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #682 of 1,456
  Using them with the 1Plus2 I'd still give the nod to the AK120. But it is hard to justify the AK120s MSRP pricing when the Fiio hits pretty high for its asking price. Both have good UIs but the Fiio is more polished overall. The AK120 has a more polished finish and looks to be of higher quality (I'd sure hope so @ its price...).

So if we take it to a purely bang for buck scenario the X5 gets the tip of the hat then.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #687 of 1,456

I think it will be a while. We are sort of in the audio third world here:wink:

Yeah, makes me wish the audio market here would heat up a little more. I still get people who look at me funny when they find out my head/earphones are over 40 bucks, lol.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #688 of 1,456
  Yeah, makes me wish the audio market here would heat up a little more. I still get people who look at me funny when they find out my head/earphones are over 40 bucks, lol.

It seemed to peak in the mid/late 90's, now all the former high end audio shops are hawking Dolby 755.999 home theatre stuff, with some 4X4 room set aside for high end stuff.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #689 of 1,456
Thirded, gents. We get gouged paying amazon.ca prices or (as I've had happen), import fees that are as much as $50 C.O.D.... And that's on top of paying extra for express shipment 
angry_face.gif

Had to go through a forum member to get my AKG K240 MKIIs for under $150 / Paid $250 total to get my dang Bluebuds X's a couple weeks ago.
Now I just troll the Source Components For Sale board to get my stuff used from head-fi members
triportsad.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #690 of 1,456
Makes me glad I left Deadmonton for Manila.  Down the street from me is a small, but really well-stocked audiophile store that always has great customer service and a wide-selection of headphones/DAP to try.  Never could find any Fiio dealer in Edmonton, and now I can go to pretty much any music store and get at least their cheaper options.  The only thing you can't get here easily are the Cowon line, surprisingly enough.

I'm going to be moving to Vancouver this spring, so if anyone has any wishes for me to snag on the way... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back