The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jan 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #631 of 1,456
The Tera plater is a wallet murderingly extortionate €1680.

Can you get internet on the Tera?

Agreed that Tera is extremely expensive. I paid half of that for mine (new) before the last price increase. However I think it's so good that I would have to buy a new one if something happened to mine (even at current price although I would hate paying that knowing how much I paid the first time around).
I can't get internet on the Tera and that's perfectly fine with me - as I said earlier if it had that it would need a touch screen which would make the device bigger and/or buttons smaller so not be useful when in pocket.
Also, having screen and internet would obviously decrease battery life, and having radios in it would likely degrade the sound and make the firmware less stable due to having to implement non-music related bells and whistles.
When I need internet it's easy enough to pull my iPhone or iPad out of my pocket.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #634 of 1,456
Jan 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #636 of 1,456
Sennheiser HD800 = £1000
Colorfly C4 = £450
Put them together and I can't eat or pay the rent and look like a complete tit when on the bus.[/quote]

You do have a point there. Find a rich friend get him to buy you the kit and buy a bus so he can chauffeur you around in it :)
I agree the HD800s look like a German Experiment. I don't take them out to play and they're banned from my workplace.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #637 of 1,456
You have an ipad, an iPhone and a Tera player in your pocket?

I guess after forking out for those, you don't need a wallet anymore, but still, you must have big pockets.

iPhone usually in one pocket, Tera in the other (or shirt pocket), and iPad in my bag.
It's interesting how you would zero in on that iPad in pocket when you knew perfectly well what I meant?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #638 of 1,456

iPhone usually in one pocket, Tera in the other (or shirt pocket), and iPad in my bag.
It's interesting how you would zero in on that iPad in pocket when you knew perfectly well what I meant?

If you already have an iphone in your pocket, why's it so important to have a Tera player in the other which allows you to change tracks without looking at the screen? Can't you just play an album on your iphone, put it on shuffle or even make a playlist?

On top of that, I've looked at the controls on the Tera and for the life of me I can't work out how you'd be able to know what music was on it, let alone go about selecting it. Must require the insight of a zen master.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #639 of 1,456

If you already have an iphone in your pocket, why's it so important to have a Tera player in the other which allows you to change tracks without looking at the screen? Can't you just play an album on your iphone, put it on shuffle or even make a playlist?

On top of that, I've looked at the controls on the Tera and for the life of me I can't work out how you'd be able to know what music was on it, let alone go about selecting it. Must require the insight of a zen master.

I did that for years (playlists & shuffle on iPhone). I still have playlists and shuffle available on Tera as well - have several smaller capacity SD cards for playlists and even though I hardly ever use shuffle it is available if I want it).
But I really think of Tera as turntable in pocket and get the most enjoyment from it using it similar to how I used turntables (reminds me of how I used to listen to music when I was in HS when I really got hooked on music - makes me more likely to listen to full albums and I end up listening to a lot of songs I would not put in my playlists - often happened on iPhone where after few second preview I would discard 80% of songs on CD's I bought and not add them to playlists at all - but it turns out when I give those songs more of a chance I end up liking a lot of them).
Organizing music on SD's for Tera does require some planning. I either use small cards with just a few albums and know/remember what I store on them, but I also have several large cards (128GB) where I store all my favorite artists (all of their albums) from certain genres. Since Tera sorts everything alphabetically it's not that hard to follow where you are if you know your artists and their albums (which are subfolders under artists and I prepend the years of release to names of albums which really helps to find what I want).
But this work in terms of getting organized is obviously one key compromise people who go with Tera must make.
One thing I hate on the iPhone was the triple click required on their headphones to move back (more than half the time I could not execute that reliably and would end up moving forward instead).
But SQ is the main advantage of Tera - if iPhone sounded even close as good as Tera and could play HD music I would probably have never even looked at Tera in the first place.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #640 of 1,456

I take it that you never figured out how to use the iPod shuffle? Though I am, by no means, defending this outrageously overpriced product, I am hesitant to support your claims that its navigation "must require the insight of a zen master." The target market for the Tera only listens to digital files of the highest caliber, and thus can only fit a relatively small selection of music even on a 64 GB card. In my very limited listening session with the Tera (30 min or so), I was easily able to switch through its two-tier folder system and find an artist/album of my liking. Given that, at most, a 64 GB card might be able to fit 20 uber-res albums, it doesn't seem that finding one album out of twenty would be all that difficul--I would go so far as to say that the Shuffle's interface is even less effective than that of the Tera due to its lack of "album/artist" button. Don't assault what you've never actually had the pleasure/misfortune to experience for yourself, as this helps no one. I thought the Tera to be a great sounding piece of kit, but undeserving of its 2000 euro price--yet you don't see me bashing each and every one of its features or lack thereof. Mr. Altmann probably rationalized his pricing of the Tera with the understanding that the type of person willing to spend $700 on a DAP would easily shell out a full 2000 euros for the same product. In fact, that's what the entire audiophile market revolves upon. The issue is that, while extremely profitable, the audiophile market is...tiny. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #643 of 1,456

As for the Tera - how poor that you can only get 20 albums on it.  That makes it about €100 an album then.  Ouch.

Completely false - you really need to read up on Tera and stop making assumptions and wild accusations without having basic facts.
For your info, Tera does not have any internal storage so all the music for Tera is on generic SD cards which get loaded into Tera (and obviously easily exchanged - that is one of the best parts of design). 
The only limit is the maximum SD size can be 128GB. All this obviously means that your calculation about price of storage 100 euro per album makes absolutely no sense.
I personally cary 4 of these 128GB SD cards with me all the time - one for favorite artists/albums from each of the genres I like, and also a few small 16GB-32GB SD's for playlists (and music I purchased most recently).

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #644 of 1,456
  Well, the Shuffle sounds rubbish as well then - thanks for pointing that out, will make sure I never try one.

As for the Tera - how poor that you can only get 20 albums on it.  That makes it about €100 an album then.  Ouch.

Look, if someone wants to send me a Tera to test, I'll happily report back.

Lostinspace, I, though I can easily afford to, will never purchase the Tera. I hate the product with a passion, but I don't endlessly deride others for their purchases or erect a no-fly zone around and savagely shoot down any prospective buyers. Objectively...there is little/no data available, save for the wild impedance data. For consumers who think uber-res audio makes a difference and that pure silver cables are a must, the Tera is the perfect player; no number of poor naysayers will ever change their minds. The original intent for this thread was not the flaming of current offerings, but the basic problems afflicting the entire market today. 

UI and measurements aside, you should not be putting down something you have never personally experienced in real life. I understand that you're upset that anyone has actually purchased that damn device, but your whining isn't helping anyone. Contribute something somewhat useful or don't post at all.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #645 of 1,456
What a horrible post. I'm perfectly entitled to single the Tera out as the epitome of what's wrong with the audiophile DAP market, so back off please. And to add salt to the wound, I just discovered it doesn't even have its own internal storage built in. What a joke.

Anyway, here's the thing - and you might find this 'somewhat useful' a contribution or you may not, how do I know, since I don't know who you are - why is it seemingly impossible for manufacturers to design and sell a user friendly, brilliant sounding portable music player at a price that normal people can afford? It's not just about economies of scale - what's the margin on a NW-ZX1 being sold for 500 odd quid?

A £200 bundle combination of great sounding IEMs with a great sounding music player must surely be possible and marketable and sellable in enough quantities to make it viable?

I see Hifiman are launching the HM-700 with bundled RE-400s for $249 - what's that like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back