The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #616 of 1,456

I'll cheers to that.  I couldn't fathom using that player...let alone spending the stupendous amount of requested cash on one.
beerchug.gif

You should not feel too bad about being wrong about that because most other people who have never used it feel like the same way (but you will not find a single negative review of this player by an actual owner - at least in terms of superb SQ which is most important).

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #618 of 1,456

No, you misunderstand me. I don't have (and am unlikely to ever have) enough spare money to afford these really expensive DAPs.  I want to try them before I never buy them - for free. How can I do that?

Can you afford an iPod Touch + AMP?
Then you can afford the X3 which is better in terms of portability and sound quality at cost of the extra media features/games that come with the iPod Touch. 
Given how recent it launched, it is having some issues around the edges but it is being worked on solidly by the manufacturer (FiiO) to improve the usability.  Two of their members are active in the community and able to answer questions and assist owners.  

The X5, which is due to be launched later this year, is also likely an affordable option with get performance as well.

As for testing, it depends on your local audiophile community.  You may find a someone who is willing to let you try their device for a period of time, especially if they own multiple DAPs.  If not, I know our local audiophile store here lets you try the device (in store of course) to see if it suits you. However those are about as good of an option as you're going to get - otherwise, your comments could come across as entitled.  This is not a poor man's hobby, sadly.  

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #619 of 1,456
  And the sound quality in the Tera is somehow linked to it not having a screen or user friendly controls and interface?

If you're telling me that adding such normal human functionality would ruin the sound quality of such a device, may I kindly refer you to a psychiatrist?

Is it linked?  Maybe.  I'm not too understanding about the hardware involved, the finishing on the product (especially if "hand polished") is not cheap.  And user friendly controls?  It is the only player I know of that is designed to be more expensive when you opt for user unfriendly controls!

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #620 of 1,456
  How do I listen and evaluate these DAPs then?  I don't have the money to buy them.

I'd gladly road test them if I could.

This is what I was getting at when I replied to you.  How can you critique other people for spending money on a different non-mainstream DAP, when you have no point for comparison (ie haven't ever heard it)?

If there is one thing I dislike about Head-fi sometimes it's the number of opinions put out there about gear when the commenters have never heard it .....

As to your other question - 
  • Find Head-fiers in your area that might be willing to lend/swap gear.
  • Get to a local Meet
  • See if you can become an evaluator on a tour (like the Fiio X5 at the moment)
  • Become a reviewer.  Note - to do this you'll need to be prepared to forgo any preconceived bias, and be prepared to put some work in to evaluate gear as well as you can.  The average review now takes me around 20-30 hours to fully put together (from evaluating to final write-up + photography).  It takes a lot of research, and a lot of time listening - but it is a lot of fun, and a good way to evaluate gear without huge cost (for me - it's just the cost of freight).  Occassionally you get to keep the review samples - most of the time you send them back - but the actual experience of evaluating is the gain.

BTW - if you do have the time, filling out your Head-Fi profile is helpful.  It lets others know what gear you've had experience with & also where your listening preferences are 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #621 of 1,456
  And the sound quality in the Tera is somehow linked to it not having a screen or user friendly controls and interface?

If you're telling me that adding such normal human functionality would ruin the sound quality of such a device, may I kindly refer you to a psychiatrist?

For my usage scenario Tera has more friendly controls and interface than my iPhone. That may sound strange but with Tera I can navigate all songs and albums on my SD without ever taking the tiny device out of my pocket.
I hated using iPhone for music because I always had to keep taking it out of pocket to change albums or playlists. And could Tera have the screen? Sure - but then either the device would have to be larger, or buttons much smaller to make room for screen (but then it would have the same usability problems as my iPhone).
Having said this, if you are using your phone for something else while listening to music (so it's out of your pocket most of the time) of course the iPhone would be better in that case (assuming you are happy with it's SQ and don't care about HD).
But that is not my usage scenario so for me the compromise of having large buttons I can feel through my jeans over touch screen (in addition to best SQ I have ever experienced) is the perfect design. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #623 of 1,456
The second part of the equation, the video rants about the Apple and Android fanboys but what I'm saying can also be applied to this site and the runaway brand worship you sometimes see on here

Nice video, and I totally agree with you! I don't have an Android device, nor a Sony, but I like what they've done to them. I can't say the same with the new Apple devices and iOS 7. As you said, Apple is losing their edge.
A thumbs up to you. :)

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #624 of 1,456
The Tera plater is a wallet murderingly extortionate €1680.

Even the Sony ZX1 is €700.

When are these madmen going to stop punching us in the neck?

By the way, for those who need to know this stuff, I personally use a Samsung Galaxy S3 (19300) as my portable player, since I was gifted with it as part of some work I did for the 2012 Olympics. I wouldn't fork out for a new one myself, but with an airtime contract they are pretty reasonable I think - especially given the range of functionality. I'm always on the internet on it, for example. Can you get internet on the Tera?

Soundwise, I've rooted the S3, have Boeffla kernal installed and use Gonemad Music Player app which has a lovely interface. Through my Soundmagic E10 IEMs (you high end posh kids may scoff, but these cost me thirty quid, are built to withstand rough-housing daily chuck and play tactics, are supremely comfortable in my ears and sound acetastic, so nanana to you),, my music keeps me warm and happy on these cold wintry days and nights.

The most I've payed for a music player before was a couple of hundred for the Cowon J3, which is pretty much the limit of what I think these companies should charge for something which essentially just goes in your pocket and plays music. The J3 sounded nice enough, but it eventually crapped out on me. The S3 sounds miles better though.

I hate Apple, so don't go there. Call me an Android fanboy all you like, it won't change the fact that there's something of the night about those Apple people. Mark my words, they will own your soul and dreams soon enough.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #625 of 1,456
I hate Apple, so don't go there. Call me an Android fanboy all you like, it won't change the fact that there's something of the night about those Apple people. Mark my words, they will own your soul and dreams soon enough.

*facepalm*
Your post was all right up until that point. Seriously? -_-

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #627 of 1,456
Just as some people can afford to spend £2000 on a dac they spend 1 hr a day listening to music through or £4000 on a pair of SR009s that form part of a collection of 20 headphones, there will be some of us that can justify spending serious money on daps. The 2nd hand market is full if them too . You don't have to buy this stuff new.
The headphone is still the most important part of the listening process though.
An HD800 into the Colorfly C4 will give more satisfying SQ than a pair of £30 earphones

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #628 of 1,456
Just as some people can afford to spend £2000 on a dac they spend 1 hr a day listening to music through or £4000 on a pair of SR009s that form part of a collection of 20 headphones, there will be some of us that can justify spending serious money on daps. The 2nd hand market is full if them too . You don't have to buy this stuff new.

The headphone is still the most important part of the listening process though.

An HD800 into the Colorfly C4 will give more satisfying SQ than a pair of £30 earphones

Sennheiser HD800 = £1000
Colorfly C4 = £450
Put them together and I can't eat or pay the rent and look like a complete tit when on the bus.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #629 of 1,456
*facepalm*

Your post was all right up until that point. Seriously? -_-

Sure, why not? They wind me up. Doesn't have to be rational - its an emotional thing which I can't explain, but that doesn't make me wrong.

That's the problem, you're wrong but you just can't see it. You're getting worked up over a platform which means you're getting angry over a computer or a cellphone. How does that make any sense? It doesn't make sense, basically it's a phone, pick the platform you like and leave it alone. Theres no need to get worked up over somebody else who who likes an iPhone and you like an android. That's all I was saying with my video. You shouldn't be allowing yourself to get worked up over a plastic and metal object. An object is just that an object not part of your character or your family or a part of anything else that should matter, or at least it shouldn't be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back