The RUNNING thread : All Runners cmon in!!
Feb 18, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
GS it seems like you are on the right track so far. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me sometime, I'd be happy to lend some knowledge to a fellow Head-Fi'er
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks buddy...i'll keep your offer in mind
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #32 of 63
I'm just running as conditioning for Ultimate Frisbee, so we do a mix of long and short running and are moving towards shorter faster runs. Our schedule is usually something like a 5-8 mile run, 1 mile race, 2-4 mile run, interval training, 2-4 mile run, and stairs or short interval training, Sunday we get off. The amount of running is modulated by the practice, Winter League schedule and our lifting schedule. Due to the weather repeatedly turning cold and being snowy between nice periods , we keep on having to run on treadmills which I find horribly boring, so I try and run as fast as possible to get in over with. I'm also prefer sprinting to the distance running, 1 mile or shorter is better.

That icing of the knees is something I should do as I have some knee problems at times.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhawk1729
That icing of the knees is something I should do as I have some knee problems at times.

My trainer recommended this but didnt leave me instructions. Does it help? How does it help assuming you have what feels like "compaction" pain and general foot muscle stiffness?

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
My trainer recommended this but didnt leave me instructions. Does it help? How does it help assuming you have what feels like "compaction" pain and general foot muscle stiffness?

Thanks.

Ice them for about 15 minutes on then off, then on again. I kind of remember a physical therapist telling me thiis. I am no expert, but that is what I do when my knees bother me after a run. I do 2 or 3 reps with the ice.

3 mile run this morning and it felt good. I will be ready for an 8 miler when your down here in April.

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Thanks.

I was just asking my sister, a 3rd year med student and a runner, this last week. Icing has an anti-inflammatory effect. It reduces the pain and throbing by reducing blood flow to that area. If it's really bad I would take an advil too. I'm not sure if icing actually helps the injury heal faster. I'll ask my sis when I see her.

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #36 of 63
As I understand it if you have an acute injury you ice for a day or so to keep the swelling down. After that you move into heat which increases blood flow allowing the injury to heal. I am not a doctor, I only sue them.

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
As I understand it if you have an acute injury you ice for a day or so to keep the swelling down. After that you move into heat which increases blood flow allowing the injury to heal. I am not a doctor, I only sue them.

Yeah you're pretty much on tyrion. After activity, ice it. It'll keep the swelling down and generally just feels good. But before you run GS, it would a good idea to heat your knees. This gets the blood flowing and makes the muscles/tendons more willing to stretch for you.

Also, don't forget to strech very good before and after every run. I can't stress this enough, it's incredibly important. And if you are having a chronic pain, don't run through it. Biking and running in a pool are excellent ways to give your legs a rest.

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 63
OK I did approximately 4 miles on the treadmill today...just got back in, showered and getting dinner ready
tongue.gif

I didnt have any ice so I went outside with a plastic bag, shovelled some snow into it and used that...one bag on each knee
tongue.gif
Feels pretty sweet I must say...

Then I applied "DEEP HEAT" over the area...OOoooh...I feel so drowsy now
wink.gif

Bliss!!

Feb 19, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #39 of 63
Guru, I wouldn't mention the shower or pinkie may start a thread about hair at the bottom of the drain. Keep this thread going it's given me motivation to start running again.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Guru, I wouldn't mention the shower or pinkie may start a thread about hair at the bottom of the drain. Keep this thread going it's given me motivation to start running again.

So are you going to run NYC??
very_evil_smiley.gif

DO IT!!! Just go for it...If you havent done it before then you want to do it at least once before you get too old
eggosmile.gif

Besides, my uncle and I will be there and you will ENJOY talking to him...bloke is from Germany and he loves George Bush
tongue.gif
LOL

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

So are you going to run NYC??
very_evil_smiley.gif

DO IT!!! Just go for it...If you havent done it before then you want to do it at least once before you get too old
eggosmile.gif

Besides, my uncle and I will be there and you will ENJOY talking to him...bloke is from Germany and he loves George Bush
tongue.gif
LOL

It sounds like he and I will get along just fine. I am considering doing it. The only problem is I am going to Maine in October for my cousins kids Bar Mitzvah and then we are taking my son and a couple of friends to California for his Bar Mitzvah. It will be a tour of California's skateboard parks. I don't know if I can swing another trip. I will talk it overr with my wife.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #43 of 63
Unbelievable what 1.5 years can do to you...it works both ways. I was HUGE...130kgs (286 lbs) huge
eek.gif
...in 2002 when I came to the US. One year later and MANY MANY miles of running later I had gone down to 82 kgs (180 lbs)as you can see in these pictures...Thats nearly 50kgs (110lbs) in weight loss in exactly one year!!
basshead.gif

http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru1.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru2.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru3.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru4.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru5.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru6.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru7.jpg
http://www.gurushankar.com/GScareer/guru8.jpg

And then I threw in the towel somewhere towards the end of 2003 and BLOATED again to 110kgs (242 lbs). At the Orlando meet I was around 100 kgs (200 lbs) and at the Miami meet I was a solid 118 kgs.

And I stayed that BIG until I moved to Erie and got back into a fitness program. I dropped back down to 110 kgs (242 lbs)and stayed there until a month back.

Then the NYC marathon fever hit me and I hit the gym nearly everyday. Been losing weight steadily since then and I am now down to 98 kgs (216 lbs) ...phew!!

I need to get back down to 80-82 kg (around 180lbs) and stay within that range to be able to compete in the marathon without too much strain. Working hard at it...its easy to get down to a certain level (maybe 95 kgs? ) but after that it is DEATH to lose more weight because the body just freakin refuses to cooperate

Just wanted you to have a background of my "FATNESS" and to let you know that I have lost weight and looked good before...and I can do it again if I have to...no - if I WANT to...

And now I want to...it SUCKS BALLS!! to be fat

Best regards,

gs

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #44 of 63
hey i just got back into running about a week or two ago, the last time I ran a mile was 4 years ago and i really hated it back then. i started doing it again to lose a few pounds. i only run 1 mile(sometimes 2 if i have time and energy) a day 6 times a week at about 6-7 mph.i workout at the gym about 3-4 days a week is this good enough to be able to lose weight in order to get that "cut" look? any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by electic
hey i just got back into running about a week or two ago, the last time I ran a mile was 4 years ago and i really hated it back then. i started doing it again to lose a few pounds. i only run 1 mile(sometimes 2 if i have time and energy) a day 6 times a week at about 6-7 mph.i workout at the gym about 3-4 days a week is this good enough to be able to lose weight in order to get that "cut" look? any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Running speed is not important...time is important. How about you break up a 60 minute run into speeds varying between 3.5 mph and 7 mph...spread out the speed for ex:

* walk at 3.5 for 3 minutes
* jog at 5.5 for 5 minutes
* jog at 7 for 2 minutes
* jog at 6.5 for 5 minutes
* jog at 5.5 for 3 minutes
* walk at 3.5 for 2 minutes...

keep repeating this 20 minute cycle for 2 or 3 times and you'll be fine. You start breaking into fat burn mode only after around 45 minutes of cardio...until then it is purely glycogen...

Diet control is also important.

But this is not going to get you cut unless you lose a MAJOR part of the body fat AND do weights...without weights you will not have the muscle mass to show off through the fat-less skin
tongue.gif

This is random advice...speak to a physical fitness trainer and a dietetian and get your workout plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back