The Rudistor RP010 Has Arrived! (Pics!)
Apr 13, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 97
Quote:

Gratz man I do love my Rudistor 010 mark 1 ;p But the look/tweaks from mark 2 must be awesome. It looks like you have some sort of version with no balanced inputs/outputs ?

Can you go into some detail as to how yours differs from stock?

That's right, this is strictly a single-ended amp. I will never be re-cabling my R10s to make them balanced, my heavily modified CD player's outputs are single-ended, and my expensive ICs are also single ended, so I opted against a balanced amp. Because they are all custom, you can get it balanced if you want.

As far as I know, there is no real "stock" version per se anymore, it's all build-to-order.

Quote:

I noticed the RP010 did not utilize an Alps RK50 as the pot... anyone know why this is?

It's a special motorized pot that is supposed to be superior to any other kind of pot. You may remember the high-end Melos amps had a motorized pot they called the "Photentiometer" and also claimed it was superior to any normal volume pot (I have no idea how similar or different the Rudi pot is vs. the Melos). Here is what a previous version of Rudi's site said about it (from archive.org):

Quote:

The volume control is achived by IR remote unit, the potentiometer is moved by motor. The motorized potentiometer is the best possible solution that make possible an optimal positioning, it is extremly smoth and totally noiseless, and ( after accurate selection )the precision L-R is higher than in any stepper attenuator or digital control (digital are also very noisy)

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 97
Nice amp! But where are the tubes? Are they hidden under the individual boxes. Doesn't it make them hard to roll?
confused.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 97
Sorry but this is marketing CRAP. There is nothing special about a motorized pot, especially one that uses a commercially off the shelf ALPS pot. Majority of remote controlled Chinese Integrated Amps have them.

The Melos Photentiometer is a unique design though, as far as I know nobody else has or copied their design.

Everything else is interesting design though....I am not sure about placing 2 toroids so close to one another. If you are going to go overboard with all the shielded boxes and stuff why not separate the toroids so the EMF around them don't interfere wit one another?

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 97
Congrats, Mark! It's nice to see gear not so common to Head-Fi come along once in a while. Eagerly waiting for your review.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 97
Ah well the one he advertises on his site for 3500 euros is the one I would think is "stock," i.e. the components that he would put in one that he would sell for that price.

Makes sense why you won't be going balanced.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 97
[size=small]First Impressions[/size]
Here are some random notes. The unit is NOT burned in. I am comparing directly against the RPX-33 (which I reviewed very favorably here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208706), with which I can fairly easily do A/Bs right now (though my RPX-33 is already spoken for and will fly away early next week).

So, I'm comparing head-to-head the new RP010 against the amp that was previously the best thing I'd ever heard (RPX-33).

Here we go:

1. As far as I'm concerned, Rudi is an audio GOD. OK, not THE God, but A god.
wink.gif
At the moment, he flies under the radar a bit here on this site, but believe you me, that will change as more and more people get to hear his wares. OK, I haven't heard his down-scale entry-level stuff, just his better and now High-End solid state. I can't judge how good or bad his more real-world designs are. But based on how great the expensive stuff is, I have to believe they are pretty darn good for the money. In any case, Rudi obviously has a pair of Golden Ears, his stuff is voiced to please.

2. I've often said on this site that I have no use for the concept of "neutrality". Sorry. I have no idea what that is or what that sounds like (and neither does anyoine else, IMO). I only know "I like" and "I don't like". Period. Rudi's stuff is easy to like. In general, I disparage the whole concept of slavish devotion to so-called "neutrality"; from what I've seen, such gear is dry, cold, analytical, dead, lifeless, and dull. It's lowest-common-denominator audio for the anal-retentive-- "OK nothing offends me or sticks out, so it must be good". Yawn.
redface.gif
Rudi's stuff is ALIVE and VIBRANT. That's not to say I think his gear is "colored"; I can't easily point to any frequency anomolies or other tricks. I can, however, point to the fact that his gear just shuts down that evil audiophile fascist cop in our heads who's always on the beat and ready to arrest any component that steps out of line. He becomes irrelevant, because you are far too busy enjoying yourself to take any notice of his meek protestations to the contrary. Rudi's stuff brings me closer to the music and gives me pure ENJOYMENT, and even if that's illegal or immoral or just plain "wrong" in terms of Puritan audiophile "dogma" I just don't give a damn. Isn't that what it's all about?

3. Images are rock steady on the RP010. It's not that the RPX-33 is "flickery" or indecisve, it's just that the RP010 has it locked down tight.

4. If you like BIG soundstage, the RP010 is for you. It's even bigger and so much DEEPER than the RPX-33, which is already huge. Seriously, the RP010 makes the RPX-33 sound kinda "rinky-dink".
eek.gif
I never thought I'd say that, but there you go. The RPX-33 seems to shove things together in the middle of the soundstage, where the RP010 just opens up and separates sounds/images into a completely surround-sound presentation.

5. The RP010 maintains all of the benefits of the RPX-33, and adds on to it. There is a STRONG family resemblance between them sonically (what a relief!). The RP010 just delivers even more of what the RPX-33 does so well.

6. The RP010 is every bit as dynamic as the RPX-33, possibly more so. You may recall, I found the RPX-33 to be incredibly adept at PRAT, proving itself to be a very very powerful unit, with astonishing bass response. Here's the thing: these units come with two headphone jacks-- one offers HIGH gain, the other LOW gain. So, if you have a stubborn, power-hungry headphone with a demanding load, you can use the HIGH jack. My Sony R10 is very very sensitive. But I found that on the RPX-33 I needed to use the HIGH gain jack. On the RP010, the HIGH gain jack is way way way too much. There is an audible very low-level hiss through my R10s from this jack, it peers so sharply into the innards of the RP010. So instead, I have my R10s plugged into the LOW jack. The thing is, the volume knob setting on the lower-powered RPX-33 with my headphones in the HIGH gain setting is roughly equal to the same volume level I achieve with my R10s plugged into the LOW gain headphone jack on the RP010.
blink.gif
If you look at the specs on Rudi's site, you can see that the RP010 outputs roughly DOUBLE the power of the already mighty RPX-33. No one can say these amps are under-powered. The result is an ease to the sound, an effortlessness that makes the amp disappear. Yet the sheer power at their disposal makes your headphones kick some serious @ss when needed. The heat sinks on this RP010 must only be for show, as the unit is a cold as a stone, never breaking a sweat, where the RPX-33 gets moderately warm-ish.

7. The Rudi's give you a natural organic, and REAL sound. This amp is all about TONE. It's incredibly REAL and NATURAL. But it's different than the RPX-33. That amp sounds in hindsight a bit "crispy", with the outlines of sounds emphasized. The RP010 is just more refined. The RP010 places a different em-PHA-sis on the sound. It emphasizes the middle of the note, where the RPX-33 emphasizes the leading edge (i.e EM-pha-sis). This gives the RP010 more "body" than the RPX-33 and a meatier sound. But the RPX-33 has the illusion of slightly faster speed but at the expense of a slightly "thinner" sound.

8. Because it's less "crispy" and "sharp", the RP010 might sound slightly less "detailed" than the RPX-33, but that's a bit of an illusion. The RP010 allows small sounds to just happen naturally where they are more spot-lit on the RPX-33. This brings up one of the major differences between the two amps. You've heard the expression, "missed the forest for the trees"? The RP010 is much better at presenting the whole musical gestalt, where the RPX-33 calls out and sharply defines individual elements in the mix. The RP010 is more coherent and "whole" as a result.

9. Cymbals are one of the easiest places to spot differences between the two, and this is one place where I always focus. It's very hard to get cymbals right. The RPX-33 is great in that regard, but the RP010 is just several steps ahead of it. You don't know what you don't know. It's only possible to hear the "faults" in your current gear by hearing something better. I wouldn't have been able to hear it before, but the cymbals on the RP010 are so much more natural and complete and full than they are on the RPX-33 where they sound a bit crispy, spitty, thin and harsh. It's all relative though, as I wouldn't have heard that until it was eliminated.

10. The RP010, even without any break-in, is already taking me to new places unimagined. There is NO background noise. Different recordings sound remarkably different, so you will have to (albeit glady) re-learn all your favorite albums. The RP010 is an extremely sensistive instrument; yet, like the RPX-33, it's incredibly powerful and punchy. Yes, it has BIG b@lls, but doesn't lose a single drop of NUANCE.

When you order an amp as expensive as this, you can't help but be wracked with trepidation. It's not enough for that amp to be merely at the same level as its predecessor, but only slightly *different*. It had bloody well better out-perform it. So, with some relief, I can happily tell you the RP010 nicely out-performs the mighty RPX-33. *phew*
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #26 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but this is marketing CRAP. There is nothing special about a motorized pot, especially one that uses a commercially off the shelf ALPS pot. Majority of remote controlled Chinese Integrated Amps have them.

The Melos Photentiometer is a unique design though, as far as I know nobody else has or copied their design.

Everything else is interesting design though....I am not sure about placing 2 toroids so close to one another. If you are going to go overboard with all the shielded boxes and stuff why not separate the toroids so the EMF around them don't interfere wit one another?

One of the things that toroids do well, and I know that you are aware of that, is the absence (or almost absence) of these strong electro-magnetic fields you find in other types of transformers, that is why they are so widely used. The strongest and more critical point is around the leads of the transformer, even though not a big deal neither, you can place them as close as you want and still you will get not EMI that you need to be worried about...

BTW the Chinese cheap amps you mentioned (if they are cheap, in other words, a $500.00 amp in China, is not cheap at all) do not use motorized Alps inside that have been hand selected by a Swiss or a German company, that assures you the best and finest quality directly from first hand selection in the Japanese production, very expensive BTW (those cost far more than the actual price you can pay around here for those)

It is true that there are not too many motorized pots available in the market nowadays, and this is indeed one of the best motorized (if not the best) you can get. Pay attention that the statement is not saying that it is the best pot you can get, he is saying the one of best motorized one, that is different...

But those are indeed RK27, disassembled by Rudi, and hand matched to a very precise 0.02db L/R, this is the only way to get nowadays a high quality pot, motorized, quad, stereo...etc (Ray does the same I think, not sure to what extend his precision is though)...And I think that even for an stepped attenuator, 0.02db is good enough...
The next step in that line is the RK40, this one is going (or already gone) out of production (Rudi bought the whole huge stock from those European distributors) but it is not quad and not motorized.

Now about stepped attenuators, I feel that they are good for power amps, but not for headphone amplification, the 24 steps make too hard to found the right volume, specially at low levels, so we prefer to use traditional rotating analog pot, and frankly we like the smooth rotation made by a good potentiometer helped by the heavy full brass chromed knob....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

We use Alps RK27, upgraded RK27, RK40 and RK50, all of them, just form Swiss and German official distributors, and coming only form Japanese
production facilities...Nothing from China here!!!!...
evil_smiley.gif

Going down, later on you can find a lot of clones of those ALPS...I have seen those they claim to be ALPS, in many Chinese amps, and the quality is far from similar to the ones Rudi use, you feel that in the rotation, later on measure them...
rolleyes.gif

Also about the Melos, well in all the Melos I have seen that are remote controlled, the Photentiometer and remote feature has been removed/replaced/canceled due to failures an further lack of replacement parts...And as usual, there is nothing wrong in using an standard simple topology, as a remote control, a linear PSU, a capacitance multiplier, etc, etc...that have been proved to work fine, time after time, over many years, over those so called "proprietary topologies" that may fail later on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a metal engraved/etched piece that says "Hic Sunt Leones" on the top of your product is Panache in it's self..

but if your going to make a bold statement like such back it up on the other parts of the amp like metal engraved/etched plates by the IEC inlet instead of a sticker. something more on the headphone jacks instead of leaving the tightening nuts on the outside making the amp look DIY. these are two of the small details out of a few that "should" be well looked over before anyone puts a metal engraved/etched piece that says "Hic Sunt Leones" on the product...

Rudi does do some fine panache work though..I cant wait to meet him at the national..
and of course congrats on the amp..she does look amazing..

Well if you ask Mark, this was a custom amp, in which many features that are in the new balanced one (now stock) were removed. The new stock panel for those amps are all engraved, but they have a lot of other holes for different jacks, and features that Mark did not want on his, and to order just a single panel engraved like that, cost an additional bunch on money, and some additional time, that maybe the customer was not willing to stomach...

The sound, well you have markls impression to judge now...

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well if you ask Mark, this was a custom amp, in which many features that are in the new balanced one (now stock) were removed. The new stock panel for those amps are all engraved, but they have a lot of other holes for different jacks, and features that Mark did not want on his, and to order just a single panel engraved like that, cost an additional bunch on money, and some additional time, that maybe the customer was not willing to stomach...

I kind of figured that before, like I said Rudi usually makes amazing looking amps from the pics I seen before..the national will be my first listen to any of his products so I can't wait..

Sovkiller you are the America distributor for Rudi I think so will you be there and rudi? I would like to meet both of you there..

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 97
Quote:

the Photentiometer and remote feature has been removed/replaced/canceled due to failures

LOL, exactly right. Any Melos owner can tell you that their "Photentiometer" was a total piece of cr@p.
orphsmile.gif
It never worked.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of figured that before, like I said Rudi usually makes amazing looking amps from the pics I seen before..the national will be my first listen to any of his products so I can't wait..

Sovkiller you are the America distributor for Rudi I think so will you be there and rudi? I would like to meet both of you there..

Sorry but I couldn't make it, my actual job don't let me....but Rudi will be there, along with an NX-33, RPX-33, and few other goodies sharing the table with Ultrasone, as they booked both too late...
rolleyes.gif
... But honestly if i just knew before I would be more than glad to share it, as Steff (the nice girl) will be there....
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

Nice amp! But where are the tubes?

I know it's unpopular, but screw tubes! Boo-hiss, I hate them.
mad.gif
Yes, they can add tone and body and warmth to cheap amps that need it. Sure, it can be an imperfect "solution" to poorly designed solid state amps.

I hate tubes because the best ones you'd actually want are rare and hard to find, and EXPENSIVE. I hate them because they wear out and need to be replaced. I hate them because there are forgeries and dealers you can't trust who will sell you bogus tubes that may have only half their strength left. I hate tubes because it's ancient technology easily bested by properly configured solid state technology that will LAST.

The fact is, with a properly-designed solid-state circuit, you get all the great tome/timbre of tubes without any of the draw-backs. You can also get better precision and bass response.

No, I can't argue that every solid state circuit out-performs every tube circuit. Hardly.
tongue.gif
I am saying it costs a lot to get proper solid state performance, but once you have it, you have it forever, it won't fade or die on you like a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back