The Rudistor RP010 Has Arrived! (Pics!)
Apr 14, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #46 of 97
You clearly hate tubes, but believe me, the hassle is another reason not to like them! It's driving me mad.

Beautiful amp. Actually, I thought the volume control was going to be a vishay 125 step like the one found in the Placette. It's a motorized remote stepped attenuator using high grade resistors. I remember looking at Rudi's site years ago and seeing an amp that uses this kind of attenuator. I thought it was the RP010. One indication of this volume control is a row of LEDs to display the attenuation level.

Anyway, can a Rudi expert chime in on this? Am I crazy, or did Rudi offer this kind of remote volume control on his amps at one point?

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #47 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful amp. Actually, I thought the volume control was going to be a vishay 125 step like the one found in the Placette. It's a motorized remote stepped attenuator using high grade resistors. I remember looking at Rudi's site years ago and seeing an amp that uses this kind of attenuator. I thought it was the RP010. One indication of this volume control is a row of LEDs to display the attenuation level.

Anyway, can a Rudi expert chime in on this? Am I crazy, or did Rudi offer this kind of remote volume control on his amps at one point?

I'm not an expert by any means, but IIRC, Rudi never used a motorized attenuator in any amp before, I could be wrong, but I do not recall any model using it...You are right about the remote operation in older models though, as the older verison of the RP010 could be also customized as remote operated, if the customer required it...

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a special motorized pot that is supposed to be superior to any other kind of pot. You may remember the high-end Melos amps had a motorized pot they called the "Photentiometer" and also claimed it was superior to any normal volume pot (I have no idea how similar or different the Rudi pot is vs. the Melos). Here is what a previous version of Rudi's site said about it (from archive.org):

I'm almost 100 percent certain that the RK50 is the superior potentiometer technically. But I really don't think the premium commanded by higher cost potentiometers such as the RK50 is worth it as the human ears are not very likely to pick up on the differences/improvements beyond a certain point.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #49 of 97
My amp has a remote... I haven't really messed with it though.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #50 of 97
markl,

Thanks for sharing your impressions with this beauty!

Then again, you don`t mind me taking your impressions with a huge grain of salt, do you?

I mean, I really enjoyed your nicely written and enthusiastic review of the RPX-33 (which I own myself), and now I read almost the same about the RP010, which then must turn the RPX-33 almost into a low-fi-amp by comparison (I`m exaggerating a bit of course).
We all know that differences in sound quality of amplification become smaller and smaller (if at all noticeable) in these price regions (and the RPX-33 isn`t exactly cheap, right?), and now all of a sudden there are huge differences?

I suspect we all witness a case of psycho-acoustic effects here.
Like: "I paid 3k for the new amp, so it has to be noticeable better than the earlier one, it has to be, it has to be!!"
And then:
"So, with some relief, I can happily tell you the RP010 nicely out-performs the mighty RPX-33. *phew*"

Right, that`s how our brain works, difficult to trust our own impressions.

Doesn`t make your new amp a worse one of course, not meant to disregard your impressions too. Only wanting to put things a bit into perspective though, and personally I`m getting a bit curious when reading such enthusiastic reviews about different high-priced amps by one and the same person in a short amount of time.

Sorry if my post comes across a bit harsh, it`s not meant like that (english isn`t my native language).

Enjoy your new toy, it looks great, and sure it is!

For me personally it`s pure size is rather insane though.
Esp. when compared with the RPX-33, which isn`t exactly small either.
And that goes even if one uses it as a pre-amp (which I do with mine).
The RP010 easily outsizes a full integrated amp, but after all, it`s a headphone-amp!
Now these are matters of personal taste of course.

Again, thanks for sharing your impressions, and enjoy your new toy!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #51 of 97
Quote:

Right, that`s how our brain works, difficult to trust our own impressions.

It measures better, it sounds better: it must be psycho-acoustic. Sometimes you just gotta love head-fi.

The RK50 indeed is the best pot available. It's more precise than a stepper. You could motorize it, but that further adds to the cost. Even without a motor it ain't cheap at all: would add at least 1200USD to the price of the amp.

Rudi uses the Pesante Dissipante enclosure from Hifi2000 (Italy) for a.o. the RP010. The front plate is screwed onto the body, normally the screws go through a set of handles (it's intended for 19" use) nothing he can do about that.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It measures better, it sounds better: it must be psycho-acoustic. Sometimes you just gotta love head-fi.

Not exactly what I`ve said, right?

It must not be, but it could.

After all, differences in this region should be subtle, and noticable after careful listening for at least several days, and not be slammed right into our faces as "first impressions". That`s the point.
Should I be wrong here, then something should be wrong with the RPX-33 review.

But I`m not going to get into arguments here, to each his own.

wink.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #53 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the NX-33 and really many amps in general... but this is Rudistor's top of the line solid state (Top of the line period really except for the ridiculous RP1000).

It sounds quite nice and quite a bit more refined yet full sounding than my old Headroom Home... but at something like 6-7x the cost when comparing both new price-wise I would have hoped that is the case
smily_headphones1.gif
Definitely adds some extra sound stage though!

Is this the best of the best in solid state? (Discounting ridiculous custom amps)... hopefully after the meet I'll know! I don't doubt that its a contender.

Needless to say given Markl's larger breadth of experience I too am anxious to hear his impressions!

THe RP1000 is not a SS amp, it is hybrid, and not sure why you call it that way, but it is not ridiculous, it is indeed very far from that term soundwise...

I have it for two weeks home, and I did not have at that time the Edition 9, but honestly I have never hear anything similar with my CD3K...Definitelly a very unique musical sound...

Rudi never claimed that any of his amps is the best amp among others, and actually he refrains from comparing one given amp with others, icluding his amps, the reason is very simple, the comparison must be done against the real sound, and the real event, he attends weekly a concert, and that is the real challenge for him, to make his amps sound similar to what he hear in the theater...his amps are done like musical instruments...that is his philosophy, for good or bad...
wink.gif

Comparing two amps is like comparing two photocopies of a document, instead of the photocopy with the original...
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

You completely misunderstand. That is the best motorized pot you are
going to find that is available today. Anything else that even might
be available is going to be more than 10 times the price of that pot.
The DACT with the stepping motor is currently $645 and its not a pot.

OK, gotcha.
wink.gif

Quote:

I mean, I really enjoyed your nicely written and enthusiastic review of the RPX-33 (which I own myself), and now I read almost the same about the RP010, which then must turn the RPX-33 almost into a low-fi-amp by comparison (I`m exaggerating a bit of course).

Hi leonid05. You could say the same thing about the Ray Samuels HR-2 before I got the RPX-33. Half the price of the RPX-33, and still one hell of an amp (I think you'll find a few people around here who like Ray's amps
wink.gif
). Up in the permanent section you'll still find my review of the HR-2 from years ago. It's very enthusiastic and that reaction was honest.

IMO, the RPX-33 merits all the praise I heaped on it, as does the HR-2. They are both stellar amps, but yes, frankly the RPX-33 out-performs the HR-2 to a noticeable degree. So, too does the RP010 outperfrom the RPX-33. I happen to think I praised the RPX-33 pretty heavily in my impressions, not disparaging it.
blink.gif
After all, it was my positive experience with that amp that made me save my pennies for the RP010.

If I may pull a quote from my impressions:
Quote:

You don't know what you don't know. It's only possible to hear the "faults" in your current gear by hearing something better.

When I first tasted Stawberry ice cream, I liked it a LOT better than Vanilla. I was enthusiastic about Strawberry and that was genuine. Now I sample Chocolate for the first time, and like it even better than Strawberry. That doesn't mean Strawberry is suddenly a "bad" flavor; it was the best ice cream I'd had up til that point. It's the same thing here.

Quote:

We all know that differences in sound quality of amplification become smaller and smaller (if at all noticeable) in these price regions (and the RPX-33 isn`t exactly cheap, right?), and now all of a sudden there are huge differences?

Deciding on where the point of diminishing returns is also arbitrary and also psychological. For example, I can't afford Rudi's insane concept amp the RP1000. So, psychologically, I'm better off telling myself, "hrmph, that must be WAY beyond the point of diminishing returns, it's probably only a tiny bit better than the RP010." But that doesn't make it so, just because I want it to be so.

Diminishing returns for some on this board is a Tomahawk. Pay more for a *headphone amp*? That's crazy!

I don't know how to quantify the difference between the RPX-33 and the RP010, except to say, that I feel I got what I paid for. Cheers.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #55 of 97
Quote:

Deciding on where the point of diminishing returns is also arbitrary and also psychological. For example, I can't afford Rudi's insane concept amp the RP1000. So, psychologically, I'm better off telling myself, "hrmph, that must be WAY beyond the point of diminishing returns, it's probably only a tiny bit better than the RP010." But that doesn't make it so, just because I want it to be so.

Diminishing returns for some on this board is a Tomahawk. Pay more for a *headphone amp*? That's crazy!

I don't know how to quantify the difference between the RPX-33 and the RP010, except to say, that I feel I got what I paid for. Cheers.

The man is right. The conception of diminishing returns exists in the little amp market and is far more important there than in the big-home amp market. The reason is simple, there is only so much that can be improved upon and still be portable. Whether a headroom Airhead is that much worse from an RSA Hornet or the Headphonia compared to the Larocco Pocket Reference is kind of up in the air... there just isn't that much to compare between these amps, which is why the most detailed comparisons will only yield about two paragraphs worth of real information.

On the other hand, anyone who's been to a meet can testify that some of the larger amps out there yeild results far beyond what can be achieved at the entry level. There are even some among us who argue that everything bellow the 1K range is actually terrible sounding, and that the good stuff exists at the top.

This not only carried when you are comparing stuff worth several hundreds to several thousands but when you are talking about the difference between 2K and 4K amps. My zana deux is a wonderful 1600$ amp, but it's not in the same league as the 4500$ ES-1 or SDS. Same thing with sources... the difference between a stello DA100 ($800) and a Bel canto (1600) are not that big when compared to the differences between them and a 4700$ EMM Labs dac.

The sad part about the high end is that to make a real difference that's worth it, you'll going to have to pay alot of money. While one can easily live and love my components, please understand that there is stuff out there that's really good.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing with sources... the difference between a stello DA100 ($800) and a Bel canto (1600) are not that big when compared to the differences between them and a 4700$ EMM Labs dac.

confused.gif
Your reasoning goes completely against the law of diminishing returns of high-end.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
Your reasoning goes completely against the law of diminishing returns of high-end.

I don't think diminishing returns is actually a law...

it's probably a viewpoint sort of thing, I have no clue if at the really high end there is much of a difference, but from where i sit i know my stuff doesn't perform nearly as well as those super-rigs out there.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Finally, for scale, here's a shot of my stack with the Rudistor RPX-33 on top. As you can see, the RP010 is HUGE, and I'd guess weighs close to 30 pounds.

rp0100342bg0.jpg

I have to say, this is the first time in a LONG time I have had amp-envy. Very nice, Markl. VERY nice.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #59 of 97
Quote:

You got earbuds free with your source. Anything else (including your KSC-35) is suffering from diminishing returns. That doesn't mean it isn't better.
wink.gif

No matter what people say here, there are more or less distinguishable classes of equipment. F.i. a 5K source should always show improvement upon a below 500 priced one. If it doesn't there's something wrong in the matching of the components, the manufacturer messed up pretty bad (.... happens) or you simply don't like the result.

What we all like to do is pick the pieces that fall into a certain price league, yet (for us) performs (almost) as good as many of the ones in a higher price range. If you have found that particular piece of equipent, then that higher price range suffers from the law of diminishing returns. But unfortunately with hifi, there's almost always another, even higher price range you can look at... and thus we keep improving until we've hit the ceiling of what we're willing to spend. After that, EVERYTHING falls under the law of diminishing returns.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back