The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Feb 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #136 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the images are credit of RSA, not John [Though he's a great photographer].

Sorry, I wasn't too clear - I meant the Photo Gallery in John's sig. some great shots.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #137 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get the cable to connect from Protector to HD650 ?

Just simply reterminate the stock HD650 cable to the new balanced connector.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #138 of 837
It is very easy to terminate the stock cable with the connector being used and you can buy a new cable for not much money. The cable I am using right now is terminated as a standard balanced cable and then uses an adapter going to the balanced termination plug that the Protector uses, as seen in previous images. It is a cable and adapter that Ray has made. The wire is the special military wire he uses for his IC's and the sound is excellent.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #139 of 837
It would be great if Ray could sell Protector together with an adaptor as shown in the photos.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #141 of 837
Not sure if this has been asked before or not...

What is the volume control that is being used? (how does it work at low volume with high sensitivity headphones/IEMs)

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #142 of 837
I use the JH13's on medium gain at about 12 o'clock. On low gain around 2 or 3. Now the 13's aren't the most sensitive but there is plenty of volume control room to move and the volume comes on nice and gradual.

This amp is very layered. There are singers and instruments in the past were clumped but now can be heard as slightly in front of and to the side or two singers side by side but distinct. This really adds to the realism. All "sounds" are controlled but in a natural and musical manner. By controlled I mean they come out of a point (imaging) that is realistic and not diffuse in any way unless the recording is like that.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #143 of 837
with your JH13 being the only headphone/monitor in the equation, would you choose any other amplifier pairings?

I'm not sure of this, but I'd bet that balanced armatures like the extra amperage from the balanced drive. I don't know if the added voltage does as much for them?

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #144 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with your JH13 being the only headphone/monitor in the equation, would you choose any other amplifier pairings?

I'm not sure of this, but I'd bet that balanced armatures like the extra amperage from the balanced drive. I don't know if the added voltage does as much for them?

Balanced drive does not inherently provide more amperage. For a given voltage and impedance of your headphones, in this case 28 ohms for jh-13's, you get a resulting amperage, up to the amperage that the battery can provide, but in the case of iems, this will not be a problem, then the voltage will sag. But .02 volts on a single ended amp, and a .2 volt difference between the lines on a balanced amp will still produce the same current draw.

Though the protector does use two batteries and would therefor be able to go to a higher voltage before it would start to sag, because the dual batteries could provide more amperage then a single battery design, but this really isnt relevant to highly sensitive iem's

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #146 of 837
I find the Protector drives the balanced HD650's with ease with great bass control.

I am listening to Jerry Garcia right now on an out of print Cd from 1990 with the JH13 Pros. The organ on "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down" goes way low on the bass and runs up and down the frequency range. The flow and depth will send shivers up your back, at least it does mine.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #147 of 837
I have a question which requires me to apologize before asking as I am sure it has been asked before. I have searched for the answer without luck.

Would the Protector benefit from a balanced input such as from a Laptop -> Balanced USB DAC -> The Protector? Or do you feel one could have an unbalanced USB DAC and not notice much of a difference. I ask this question in hopes of upgrading the sound fed into a set of JH13s.

Thanks all.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #149 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question which requires me to apologize before asking as I am sure it has been asked before. I have searched for the answer without luck.

Would the Protector benefit from a balanced input such as from a Laptop -> Balanced USB DAC -> The Protector? Or do you feel one could have an unbalanced USB DAC and not notice much of a difference. I ask this question in hopes of upgrading the sound fed into a set of JH13s.

Thanks all.

It can not accept a balanced input, not only does i not have the physical input, but it is not a differential design, so it wouldnt really help. It goes through the phase split after the voltage gain, right before going into the output buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back