The RS-2 return
Oct 4, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mortalcoil

1000+ Head-Fier
A couple of weeks ago I chimed in yelling to the world that I just received my new RS-2s,the sound was wonderful,everything seemed great.
evil_smiley.gif

Fast forward two days later when I notice a fair size gouge in the inner ridge of one of the cups.( not to mention a nastily crimped cable).
I thought "Well its only cosmetic,live with it".

Returned them.Even after pointing out the flaw to the MGR,I was told that "its no big deal,teac is a soft wood" TEAC ?.These headphones are mahogany not teac I exclaimed.

The whole idea that I had to explain that $600 headphones should not look this way blew me away.I could feel the "Yeah whatever" attitude oozing from every pore. Anyways,I left with RS-2 #938 and my sanity.

Just had to vent.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 20
Curious to how a headphone would get through Grado's quality control with flaws like that. MGR should have known not to argue with a head-fier
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Curious to how a headphone would get through Grado's quality control with flaws like that. MGR should have known not to argue with a head-fier
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree on both accounts
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 20
I've taken pretty firm stand with even the slightest visual defects, if I pay high bucks for something it better come out from the package in mint condition.

Though I have been fairly lucky with my purchases, only things I have had to sent back are a super.fi cable and an ipod (twice).

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 20
Both RS1s I've purchased, I've done it in person and insisted upon a complete inspection before leaving the store with them. Wood phones (any brand) are easily damaged even in production and can have defects... I don't think I'd ever buy a pair online without seeing them first.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil
Even after pointing out the flaw to the MGR,I was told that "its no big deal,teac is a soft wood" TEAC ?.These headphones are mahogany not teac I exclaimed.

Who or what is MGR?

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Who or what is MGR?

Manager, I think.

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 20
Good on you for returning them.

Its the only way Grado will stand up and take note of their degrading QC.

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Both RS1s I've purchased, I've done it in person and insisted upon a complete inspection before leaving the store with them. Wood phones (any brand) are easily damaged even in production and can have defects... I don't think I'd ever buy a pair online without seeing them first.

Great advice. Another option would be to buy from a "small" online vendor (eg. Headroom, TTVJ) who will likely take the time to visually examine the cans if you so requested. Most importantly, they will also have alot of experience in knowing how a good one should look and can spot any abnormalities.

Better yet, buy it used on the FS forum and thoroughly question the seller about any cosmetic defects the cans may have. Also, make sure the ad has alot of high quality pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Curious to how a headphone would get through Grado's quality control with flaws like that.

If you think his cans were bad, look at what I got a while back...
rs1smile.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154679

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69

If you think his cans were bad, look at what I got a while back...
rs1smile.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154679

Yup! That's the reason I checked them by hand. A lot of stores / dealers will give you the "we make sure that everything we have is carefully inspected on arrival." If they won't let you check it out or they won't check it out, don't buy from them. They're making a nice sum of cash from any Grado sale (especially an RS1) and IMO they need to earn it. I left one Hi-Fi shop because I didn't feel they were treating me well.

For the record, I purchased both in person at Harvey's midtown store in Manhattan. The guy who is at the headphone area in the center of the main floor of the store is a great guy... he let me carefully examine each pair.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Who or what is MGR?

MGR would be the manager.Originally I was told that the clerk couldnt open each RS-2 , due to the fact that its in a sealed pizza box.

I consider myself lucky in this case having snagged the last pair , its looking like the RS-2 will become like the RS-1 , and be as an order as required item.

Its really tough trying to judge an RS-2 simply by looking at the front of the cups through the box.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Was it that hard to type out "manager"? Yeah, you get something, if it's there's a flaw, you return it and get a refund or replacement. Pretty simple, I don't know really what to add to that?

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil
MGR would be the manager.Originally I was told that the clerk couldnt open each RS-2 , due to the fact that its in a sealed pizza box.

I consider myself lucky in this case having snagged the last pair , its looking like the RS-2 will become like the RS-1 , and be as an order as required item.

Its really tough trying to judge an RS-2 simply by looking at the front of the cups through the box.

I'd open it in the store then after purchase. Thankfully, the RS1 isn't in a sealed box.

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

I don't remember having read stories about Audio Technicas woodies sold new with defects in the wooden cups... are there such stories?

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I don't remember having read stories about Audio Technicas woodies sold new with defects in the wooden cups... are there such stories?

I remember someone getting a W5000 with dings in it, and being upset that he couldn't return it without spending a fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back