The right price for a AKG K340 (Vintage Headphones) ?
Nov 14, 2010 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cheaphifi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, someone here can tell me the right price range for AKG K340 Headphones ?
For a pair in good conditions :
80-100$
100-150$
200$ or more ?

I'm about to start the hunt for these on ebay (ebay.de)... 

I saw they are considered like a mythic headphones on some french test (they compare the K340 Light-Bass version to 700$ Headphones)...

I'm very curious about these headphones...

Thanks you for your help or any recommandations...

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 4
I guess you already got your AKG k-340 from Daroid.
Maybe I'm OT, but I'm curious.
How dou you compare your new cans with the k-601?
The old ladies can be shokingly different from the very polite (and somewhat sterile) 601. How do you drive the k-340? I feel they are quite heavy to shake...
Thanks

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I guess you already got your AKG k-340 from Daroid.
Maybe I'm OT, but I'm curious.
How dou you compare your new cans with the k-601?
The old ladies can be shokingly different from the very polite (and somewhat sterile) 601. How do you drive the k-340? I feel they are quite heavy to shake...
Thanks

I found mine in France, germans ebayers are reticent to send their parcel in other countries...

For the moment i'm carefully listening to it, to try to found if drivers are in good shape, because i want them to be re-cabled... i'm using an Audio-GD C-2 to amp them, it's not a problem to the C-2, it work great with these Cans... for the moment i can objectively compare 340s and 601s, i'll wait a little and i'll give my impressions...

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I have an old pair of bass-light K-340, I think I paid 120 euros (bought second hand in Italy 3 or 4 years ago), they were in quite good condition, but without original box or manual.

I seldom use them, because they haven't really the kind of sound I like and were heavy and offerred a doubtful comfort.  Moreover, having tried several headamps I found that these cans unmodified performed usually very poorly, I couldn't understand why they got such a success. In 2009, I bought a DarkVoice 336SE, which has been warmly recommended to drive the k-340, but it sounded much better with my K-501, so I was tempted to sell the 340, but having followed various threads on this subject, I eventually decided to invest some money in a modding.

I sent my old k-340 for an extensive modding (courtesy of fellow headfier kt-88). The result is very satisfying, they now perform greatly with my DarkVoice headamp and finally I understand why they are so sought of, but still they have a sound signature which is not my cup of tea and heavy and uncomfortable they remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back