The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #301 of 367
AM5 might sound better, but I think at this point it is worth to mention that the the Q5's battery time drops to 6 hrs with this more powerful amp module. (From 10 hrs with the AM3A.)

Sound better is subjective. Personally I think the AM3A has better tonality - but that's just me. I was suggesting AM5 for the guy who wants to do basshead EQ. And your point very valid. He wanted a higher current output. So if AM5 is already down to around 6 hours - putting more output will curb the battery life even further.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #302 of 367
It's great so see portable dacamps are finally starting to incorporate higher bitrate Bluetooth codecs at these price points. LDAC or Aptx HD would have been ideal however this is a good start. I would love to have the dacamp in one pocket or a bag, tuck the wires away and be free to control on my phone without wires moving around.

I've been thinking of getting the Q5 to replace my dragonfly red for use on the move with my Shure 1540s. The reviews out so far generally seem to be positive, however i was a bit concerned that a few people have said the treble can be a bit aggressive. The DFR is already a bright and analytical DAC and can sometimes be a bit much for me in that combo. Can anyone who has tried the Q5 provide some insight into how it compares with the DFR?

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #303 of 367
hello, I wanna ask something, looking by picture its avaiable to use Q5 as portable amplifier ? judging by its line out and line in position are close together can it used without amp module as line out device?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #304 of 367
hello, I wanna ask something, looking by picture its avaiable to use Q5 as portable amplifier ? judging by its line out and line in position are close together can it used without amp module as line out device?
Dear friend,

The Q5 can work as an AMP. Without the AMP module? Which input you are using?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #306 of 367
Didn't for my phone
elaborate? it didnt work? or it didnt drain battery?
which phone and cable did you use?
coz i have fiio q1 mk2 along with oneplus 3 (usbc) and unless i cut my usbc-microusb cable and solder the ground and ID pins, the dac keeps draining my battery.
can someone confirm if this is the case with q5, or does it work without draining battery without modifications?
thanks, would suck your d**k for a valid answer, no homo

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #307 of 367
coz i have fiio q1 mk2 along with oneplus 3 (usbc) and unless i cut my usbc-microusb cable and solder the ground and ID pins, the dac keeps draining my battery.
can someone confirm if this is the case with q5, or does it work without draining battery without modifications?
I used the cable that came with the Q5 in their review package, no charge. My phone is the lg g6

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #308 of 367

There was a link posted in the Q1ii thread to a usb cable that was confirmed to not charge the Q1ii. I assume it will work the same for the Q5.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #309 of 367
There was a link posted in the Q1ii thread to a usb cable that was confirmed to not charge the Q1ii. I assume it will work the same for the Q5.
yea i ended up making that cable (its gnd and id are shorted), but the cable died, so did my mk2's usb port (wear and tear)
now i'm gonna use take the solder mask off of the circuit's traces and solder the wire directly, and using a switch drilled into the back to control the otg mode.. :D
i just wish i had the time.. #engineeringstudentlife

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_112628_726.jpg
    IMG_20180311_112628_726.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #311 of 367
yea i ended up making that cable (its gnd and id are shorted), but the cable died, so did my mk2's usb port (wear and tear)
now i'm gonna use take the solder mask off of the circuit's traces and solder the wire directly, and using a switch drilled into the back to control the otg mode.. :D
i just wish i had the time.. #engineeringstudentlife

How did you manage that haha, I've had mine for like 2.5 months and its barely got a scratch on it.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #313 of 367
Alright done with the review. I have posted in the review section. Now shipping to the next reviewer.

Here is the review link
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...h-and-dsd-capable-dac-amplifier.22846/reviews

Enjoy folks!

Thank you for your review. Im considering the Q5 and it was very informative and helpful especially as this is a new product and not many people have it yet.
Interestingly you described it as warmish, whereas another reviewer commented that it was bright with aggressive treble. did you find the treble to be at all fatiguing? Do you have any experience with any other dacs to compare it to?

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #315 of 367
Since not many has head the Bluedac, I will use a comparison to several devices from the brightest to the warmest tone.

1) Lightning adaptor - Thin and bright. Sometimes crossing to Sibilance (brightest)
2) BlueDAc - More to neutral
3) headamp Pico slim
4) Fiio Q5
5) A&K XB10 (warmest)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back