The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #121 of 367
The control buttons did not work in MFi mode. They worked in bluetooth only so far.

And doing a review fast will be very challenging, cause this Q5 has lots and lots of features.

So far I feel there is more power overhead than Q1MKII. But I don't have a difficult to drive headphones, so the advantage is not as useful.

The sound in balance and in single ended is a lot closer than my experience with Q1MKII.

The digital inputs, coax and optical, feature is nice but I don't know if this is going to be useful when bluetooth brings really good quality, kudos to CSR/Q.

One thing I found was Q5 did not do bluetooth host, only client mode. I don't know if line in had to be plugged in. I was wishful thinking that Q5 can act as a bluetooth extender.

And with the case on, the volume control works less accessible because the backside is covered for protection, and only the topside is accessible.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #122 of 367
Hi
I can confirm what you say. Yes I also think Q5 cannot send bluetooth signal to another device only receive.
BTW now I got the Q5 to charge when connecting it to PC USB. I think it is the cable I used which is very shaky. The connection could not be sticked firmly into the micro usb port. Will check with another cable.
Also connected the Q5 to the Fiio Music app via bluetooth and checked the settings. I don't hear any differences between the 5 AK filter settings.
Sometimes the app doesn't recognize the Q5 via bluetooth. Only restarting bluetooth connection worked. It doesn't work with lightning cable.
Also the other FiioController app doesn't work with the Q5 I think. At least I couldn't get a connection via lightning cable. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #124 of 367
I think for people who wants to stay single ended, the Q5 is definitely an upgrade to Q1MKII. But still, for people who like the assurance of future proofing I think the Q5 does a good effort. In following, I would say Q5 for headphones and Q1MKII for iems with balance cable. And for people who need bluetooth, Q5 brings balance amping that I can not think of one device that can do bluetooth and balance amp. And speaking of bluetooth, I don't know about aptx and aptx hd because I don't know if I have that. I thought android and snapdragon was going to put aptx standard. I have a nougat device, but don't know yet if aptx hd low latency is built in. And I don't know if bluetooth 5 is supported either. iphone X can do that, but I'm not that privileged.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #126 of 367
How do you benefit from dual dac? I can not tell what is being used or not?
1 channel 1 DAC. Better measurements, overall better sound

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #127 of 367
I think for people who wants to stay single ended, the Q5 is definitely an upgrade to Q1MKII. But still, for people who like the assurance of future proofing I think the Q5 does a good effort. In following, I would say Q5 for headphones and Q1MKII for iems with balance cable. And for people who need bluetooth, Q5 brings balance amping that I can not think of one device that can do bluetooth and balance amp. And speaking of bluetooth, I don't know about aptx and aptx hd because I don't know if I have that. I thought android and snapdragon was going to put aptx standard. I have a nougat device, but don't know yet if aptx hd low latency is built in. And I don't know if bluetooth 5 is supported either. iphone X can do that, but I'm not that privileged.
Balanced is not necessarily the future. Single ended done right is not worse than balanced, just more expensive. (See Chord DACs for example.) I would say balanced is an interesting alternative, but not the future. It exists for a long time, only relatively new to portable market.

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #128 of 367
Balanced is not necessarily the future. Single ended done right is not worse than balanced, just more expensive. (See Chord DACs for example.) I would say balanced is an interesting alternative, but not the future. It exists for a long time, only relatively new to portable market.
The next big thing seems to be a fight between good se and bal. And also 2.5mm bal Vs 4.4 pentaconn

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #129 of 367
Thanks. I'm guessing dedicated dacs routed with dedicated inputs avoids switching or switches that can add unwanted signal contamination. With that said, Q5 having so many inputs, dual dac is much appreciative; prolly less so when there are fewer inputs like the Q1MKII.

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #130 of 367
I know Q5 is bulkier than Q1MKII, but it is still portable and with bluetooth, very convenient to carry separately. But how does Q5 stack up with non-portable units that's more or less unlimited by choice of power and real estate? Audiogd stuffs are highly praised. I wonder where Q5 is relatively and with upgrade options if the Q5 can sound even better.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #132 of 367
Does anyone know if Audeze balanced cable will work with Q5? Correct termination?

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #133 of 367
Fiio uses 2.5 mm balance cable. It is standard by way of practice. If you have a 3.5 mm balance cable then you would need an adapter to go from 3.5 mm balance to 2.5 mm balance. Single ended cables can not be made balance using an adapter. Just saying the obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back