The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #91 of 367
Thanks for the reply regarding the UK dealers. I am from Luxembour and ordered from advancedmp3players in the UK, I will see how good and quick their service will be.

I think that is a real alternative to all the people who are not limited to German language, who live in Germany ow like me outside of Germany.
The dealer in Germany is just arguing they have a different coat structure and support in German language.
Different cost structure - well maybe, but the VAT is lower in Germany compared to the UK, the import duty (if any) is the same, etc. So I think the only thing is that they want a higher margin. Up to the customer to decide where to buy.
Support in German - at least here in the forum there are plenty of people who don’t care, for other people that might be different. I personally don’t mind if the distributor communicates in English, French, Italian or Spanish.
Looking forward to receiving my device.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #92 of 367
Yeah I'm waiting. Really hope that it will be cheaper than on the official german store...

The Q5 is still listed for 449€ there. Too expensive. I honestly planned to buy the Q5 immediately after release. Just the device I was searching for. I was really looking forward to it.

The MSRP was stated to be around 349$. According to current exchange rate that would be 286€. But we know, that's not how it works: you would expect the price for Europe to be 349€, maybe a litte less. But 449€?? That's just ridiculous.

No offense: At 349$ and even at 349€ the Fiio Q5 will be an absolute bargain. But a price 100€ above the expected price for Europe and technically nearly 170€ above the price for the US... That's a shock. I really have to think again now.

that is why I ordered it on aliexpress directly from fiio. Hopefully the customs won't eat all the price difference...At least I get a nice leather case and a pet :wink:
And hopefully the first batch won't be faulty in any way because warranty issues and sending back to china is too time consuming/costly etc.:wink:

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #93 of 367
Yippie!!!
Uv89ODk.jpg

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #96 of 367
I want to know how this will compare with x7ii especially considering the price difference between these two.

If @FiiO can enlighten us that would be great..

FiiO doesn't usually post sonic impressions, at least so far.

The mai difference is in the DAC, where X7mkii has the flagship from ESS, their desktop version.

Since the AMP is the same, AM03A, Q5 should sound similar.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #98 of 367
FiiO doesn't usually post sonic impressions, at least so far.

The mai difference is in the DAC, where X7mkii has the flagship from ESS, their desktop version.

Since the AMP is the same, AM03A, Q5 should sound similar.

I mainly want to use this for streaming through my phone which x7ii is not capable of. Unless they are coming up with something like hibylink but even that doesn't support streaming iirc.

So for guys like me who stream music, q5 is the only option. Guess i have to wait for impressions and reviews. Aggghhh..

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #100 of 367
I mainly want to use this for streaming through my phone which x7ii is not capable of. Unless they are coming up with something like hibylink but even that doesn't support streaming iirc.

So for guys like me who stream music, q5 is the only option. Guess i have to wait for impressions and reviews. Aggghhh..

I really think X7mkii is capable of streaming, but that is another discussion, as I haven't tested that, at this point being more of a guess. I do not have an account for streaming since I do not use it.

As for the sound, usually the AMP part of a DAP is the one that gets a bit part of the synnergy, and Q5 comes with AM03A, the same as FiiO X7mkii, I am fairly sure that you will get a similar sound, more or less.

It is the DAC which is different, and the AK DAC in Q5 is used in a few high-end devices as well, so I wouldn't worry too much, it should be pretty awesome.

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #101 of 367
How would I love to review this lovely device with PSB's brand new M4U 8 headphones - also including wireless with APTX-HD!
And they replaced the ugly crackling headband with a much more stable one.
But that's another story maybe being told sometime in the future (read this Paul Barton - I'm still in love with the m4u 2s despite of their flaws :wink:)

Edit:typo

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #102 of 367
I really think X7mkii is capable of streaming, but that is another discussion, as I haven't tested that, at this point being more of a guess. I do not have an account for streaming since I do not use it.

As for the sound, usually the AMP part of a DAP is the one that gets a bit part of the synnergy, and Q5 comes with AM03A, the same as FiiO X7mkii, I am fairly sure that you will get a similar sound, more or less.

It is the DAC which is different, and the AK DAC in Q5 is used in a few high-end devices as well, so I wouldn't worry too much, it should be pretty awesome.

It is certainly capable of streaming because of android but i was talking of bluetooth in my case which means my phone is source here.

The amp is why i compared it with x7ii basically. The dac is different i know but there is a substantial price difference which can be due to lack of screen or due to fiio postitining the q5 below x7ii sonically.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #104 of 367
My unit had a scratch by the controls button. So the cases could be worthwhile beyond the included pouch. I also tried Bluetooth pairing and it worked but took a minute. I checked the manual and it comes loaded with cables. I hope to play music soon.

There is a blue light indicator on the power button and a hidden led light that is kind of neat. All in all the form factor looks similar to the e12.

Also I saw a torx screws and driver included. And the charge microusb and signaling microusb are dedicated on the unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back