The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Jan 17, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #61 of 367
I'd like to give one a shot as I'm in the market for a portable DAC/amp

•-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess:
Audeze LCD-2 (Pre Fazor)
Ultrasone Edition 8
Shure SE535 Red
•-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess:
iPhone 7
Yulong D100
Violectric V200
•-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:
None
•-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):
New York, USA
•-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in):
English

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #64 of 367
I have an X7ii with the standard AM3A amp. Does the Q5 come with an amp module fitted and with my AM3A fitted to the Q5, what improvements could I look forward to?
]

Slightly smoother sound, base don the DAC Q5 has, but at this point that is speculation.

Having the same AMP stage as X7mkii, the sound should be a bit similar. I am curious to test the differences myself actually!

Might prolong the battery life considerably though.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #65 of 367
Thanks. I asked the same question on the official FiiO forum about using the A5 full sized amp with my X7ii and suggested it might prolong battery life. A representative from Fiio said it wouldn't!

That was the best answer I got, as most people answered thinking I was talking about the AM5 amp module! I don't go on their much after that.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #66 of 367
Thanks. I asked the same question on the official FiiO forum about using the A5 full sized amp with my X7ii and suggested it might prolong battery life. A representative from Fiio said it wouldn't!

That was the best answer, as most people answered thinking I was talking about the AM5 amp module! I don't go on their much after that.

The AM5 module wouldn't prolong the battery life

stacking A5 on X7mkii might not be necessary

Stacking Q5 on X7mkii might not be necessary either, it has detachable modules just so you don't need to stack...

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #67 of 367
I never said the AM5 Amp module would, they just started talking about it when I was talking about the A5 (E12, E12A replacement). I thought stacking the A5 might give you more power than the AM5 module.

I was asking about stacking with the Q5, as I wondered if it had a better DAC than the X7ii?

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #68 of 367
I never said the AM5 Amp module would, they just started talking about it when I was talking about the A5 (E12, E12A replacement). I thought stacking the A5 might give you more power than the AM5 module.

I was asking about stacking with the Q5, as I wondered if it had a better DAC than the X7ii?

I tend to prefer ESS DACs over AK DACs as a rule of thumb... AK tends to be smoother, which isn't something I prefer.

I haven't tested AM5 and A5 side by side, but A5 might provide a bit more power

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #69 of 367
I've just been told on the other thread, that the Q5 comes with an AM3A amp.That's ridiculous.

Why are they doing this again? It's like the initial release of the original X7 all over again, where you were forced to have the rubbish AM1 amp.

If I could buy the Q5 without an amp and just buy an AM0 and transfer my X7ii's AM3A amp across, it would save me money. The AM3A is a great amp, but I don't want or need two!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #70 of 367
I've just been told on the other thread, that the Q5 comes with an AM3A amp.That's ridiculous.

Why are they doing this again? It's like the initial release of the original X7 all over again, where you were forced to have the rubbish AM1 amp.

If I could buy the Q5 without an amp and just buy an AM0 and transfer my X7ii's AM3A amp across, it would save me money. The AM3A is a great amp, but I don't want or need two!
It's not ridiculous.
Heathens like me do not own any other amp module and as such literally would not have a chance to audition it if it didn't come with an amp module. Besides, the whole point of a "flagship DAC amp" is for people (like me) who prefer to use their phones as a transport for easy to use UI and complete non-lagginess (if that makes sense). Connecting it to a dap twice its price defeats the purpose of having it in the first place considering it already will be on the same level or exceed the sound of the dac amp.
Another thing that I would like to point out is that the am3a on the Q5 would give it the sound desired by its designer. And as a future reviewer, I believe that it is my duty to give a review of the intended product before I do any swapping about of the amp modules.
Who knows, maybe after the initial launch, they might just take up that idea. But for now (especially on this thread) please try to keep it civil.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #71 of 367
Perhaps the advantages of AM3A will be the greatest in Q5, which is very rare. I prefer the first user to buy FiiO to be able to like it. Of course, the modules like X7Ⅱ may appear to be repeated, and mass production will make the lowest cost and allow us to control the price better.
If the brand new module can't meet most hobbies, it will not be listed as a standard. If the cost is too high, it is not suitable for supporting sale. If you do not sell module, there will be a lot of trouble after sale.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #72 of 367
:arrow_backward:The tour begins officially! The very first 3 units of Q5(with the said accessories) had been sent out yesterday to @KopaneDePooj, @tim0chan and @Ynot1 and will be followed by @betula @obsidyen and @Audiowood. Happy listening!:L3000::L3000::L3000: (Also, this arrangement is subject to further notice! )

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #73 of 367
It's not ridiculous.
Heathens like me do not own any other amp module and as such literally would not have a chance to audition it if it didn't come with an amp module. Besides, the whole point of a "flagship DAC amp" is for people (like me) who prefer to use their phones as a transport for easy to use UI and complete non-lagginess (if that makes sense). Connecting it to a dap twice its price defeats the purpose of having it in the first place considering it already will be on the same level or exceed the sound of the dac amp.
Another thing that I would like to point out is that the am3a on the Q5 would give it the sound desired by its designer. And as a future reviewer, I believe that it is my duty to give a review of the intended product before I do any swapping about of the amp modules.
Who knows, maybe after the initial launch, they might just take up that idea. But for now (especially on this thread) please try to keep it civil.

I will post my opinions as I see them. Nothing I said wasn't "Civil". The worst word I used was ridiculous. Hardly the "C" word!

Regarding using it with a DAP twice the price, isn't it quite popular to use a Chord Mojo with A&K DAPs? The cheapest, the AK70ii is roughly double the price. I've never owned any A&K products, but I'm sure I've read that they actually recommended it?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #74 of 367
I will post my opinions as I see them. Nothing I said wasn't "Civil". The worst word I used was ridiculous. Hardly the "C" word!

Regarding using it with a DAP twice the price, isn't it quite popular to use a Chord Mojo with A&K DAPs? The cheapest, the AK70ii is roughly double the price. I've never owned any A&K products, but I'm sure I've read that they actually recommended it?
To me, I do not think we are in much of a position to criticize the actions of the manufacturer at this point of time. I think that's bcos the sales have not even started, and no one save the ppl at fiio have heard it. Let it play out then we can think about telling them how to improve.
As for the ak, I think it may be OK for to others who have the budget. However, for
me, it goes against my philosophy so ymmv

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #75 of 367
:arrow_backward:The tour begins officially! The very first 3 units of Q5(with the said accessories) had been sent out yesterday to @KopaneDePooj, @tim0chan and @Ynot1 and will be followed by @betula @obsidyen and @Audiowood. Happy listening!:L3000::L3000::L3000: (Also, this arrangement is subject to further notice! )
When should I expect it to arrive? Also, who do I pass it to next.? Preferably a fellow local reviewer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back