The retro IEM thread. Lets talk about our old discontinued IEMs
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #121 of 263
Weren't these joker's pick for best bass or basshead earphones? i believe he raved about the bass on these, but these were hard af to purchase.

I think so.
I believe he gave 8.8/10 for overall sound quality compared to say Sony EX-1000’s 9.3ish scoring.
I personally loved Atrio’s bass but after while I felt it induced too much pressure to my eardrums so sold it.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #122 of 263
Another fun one from my collection, that was discontinued. The Campfire Lyra II is a killer V shaped set, that I think did not get the love it deserved, as it was released at the same time and overshadowed by the Vega. I have to say with a Penon OS849 hooked up to the Lyra II and connected to my DX160, it is pure bliss and these are highly capable iems. The soundstage is airy and big thanks to the OS849, and the mids have better clarity and separation, as well as better extension up top. The OS849 transforms these iems into something special, and I can listen to the warm and smooth sound sig all day long. I especially love these with some good acoustic guitar like Ottmar Liebert. One of my all time favorite albums, Slow by Ottmar Liebert, sounds devine with this pairng. :ksc75smile:
20200813_054141.jpg
Ottmar Liebert's Nouveau Flamenco is one of my go to albums for testing acoustic guitar and instrumental. love that guy!

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #123 of 263
Who remembers these and their funky tips...
1597354205887.png

Maximo IP-590 series.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #124 of 263
Ottmar Liebert's Nouveau Flamenco is one of my go to albums for testing acoustic guitar and instrumental. love that guy!
That's awesome! I love all his stuff, and it sounds killer in good headphones and iems.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #126 of 263
Wow, very interesting tips. I love out of the box tip designs.

How effective were the tips?

Early version were too thin and could end up ripping and only good for the straight barrel type earphones like Final E's, X49, etc. Good idea but not the execution. Not sure about any follow ups that were improved.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/maximo-imetal-im-590-earphones.423421/#post-5667051
Pics are still there somehow and you can see the problem and right through the back thin part :) and welcome back to early 2005. :stopwatch:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #127 of 263
the best Monster product ever from a sound POV and aesthetic POV was the Miles Davis Trumpets. These were Monster's take on the microHD driver. Fairly balanced with a slight boost in bass that was very punchy, but nothing that bled into the mids, these had a wide soundstage and natural extended treble, so jazz sounded amazing and so did classic rock. I really enjoyed these gorgeous iem's, but the tips were proprietary and similar to the tips on the Klipsch S4. This means not much tip rolling available, and they were not silicone, but almost a vinyl type material. I got wonky ears, so fit was good only when i was laying still (very similar to the JVC FW01 fit), otherwise if i was mobile and turning my head, the left side suction would release and it would pop out. Plus i never liked earphones with mics. So after some deep contemplation, i gave them as a gift to my ex girlfriend. She loved the fit and the look and the sound, and still has them to this day. it's been her everyday use go to's all these years later, and i'm glad she gets enjoyment out of them, because they are a great sounding phone that's well tuned and conversation makers. They will get people asking about them. One of those times joker's recommendation was spot on. If you can get over the fit, look at picking these up on ebay.

Monster-Miles-Davis-Trumpet-400x300.jpgIMG_4277.JPGIMG_4279.JPG

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #128 of 263
Does ASG1plus count? I love those and also enjoy my EX1K every once in a while.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #129 of 263
How many of you head-fier's have had this classic gem at one time? I've had this thing three different times. my first one got stolen, and made me cry for days lol. the second one i had made into a custom, but the mold was a bit off, so i sold them to someone who was going to get them reshelled, since i could prove they were TF10's that were custom shelled. the last time i got them, and i had already gotten rid of the custom cable i bought for them originally that made them really sing. the original cable for the UE TF10 made them sound very recessed and plasticky highs, so i sold them off (those are the ones in the pic) and bought the Dunu DN-1000 instead (didn't keep those long). For a long time, it was the last of the full BA earphones that i bought (outside of the UE700 and Doppios i already had). Still, with the right cable, these were one of the funnest, most musical earphones i ever had the pleasure of listening to. So much musicality and detail, but not hyper detailed or clinical, but enough to keep you engaged and involved.

The legendary Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

IMG_4071.JPG

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #130 of 263
True story I bought mine used on the sales forum for a good price. I got a good deal alright but with a crap tone of ear wax all over the tips. Guy says he wets his tips to put in his ears. Yes he threw his used tips in a bag. I managed to salvage the TF10 but the tips. Lol.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #131 of 263
Yikes! i've never used any used tips from pre-owned. i don't even bother with alcohol lol I just toss them. too gross.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #132 of 263
This thread made me go out and buy me a new pair of Sennheiser CX300II's! I was freaking out because of all the reports of FAKES out there. I took a flyer on eardio.com and they sold me an authentic pair. Went through all the checks, spelling errors, red flags, and the box even had the Sennheiser verification code. They even sent me a Sennheiser bear as a gift! They sound great and this is OOTB. The detail retrieval is a little better than i remember, and i used my old pair from 2008-2012 faithfully. The soundstage is excellent, as is the treble and the mids are just a tad recessed. The bass has that bump and thump without being too overbearing, which is just how i remember them. I'm enjoying the fun sound, while i await my mofo's!

thanks @Dsnuts

IMG_4168.jpgIMG_4169.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #133 of 263
Ah yes. The Monster IEM golden years. I don't think there another iem that can top the Miles Trumpet and Tribute packaging and contents. I must have used the infamous "life time warranty" half a dozen times with the Tributes and Coppers. Good old days.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #135 of 263
Ah yes. The Monster IEM golden years. I don't think there another iem that can top the Miles Trumpet and Tribute packaging and contents. I must have used the infamous "life time warranty" half a dozen times with the Tributes and Coppers. Good old days.

For the current price (300$+) the Trumpets aren't worth it, but yeah they were amazing, even fantastic. Ticks lots of boxes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back