The retro IEM thread. Lets talk about our old discontinued IEMs
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #166 of 263
I've still got my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's and they're still going strong. I still rate these headphones very highly and still use them as a yardstick against other IEM's. I recently listed all the PDA (personal digital assistants) I have had (and sold on) over the years and was utterly stunned when I realised just how many I have had in my possession at some point. I suspect that if I started listing headphones that have passed through my hands, the results would be one hell of a massive list.

20171229_174700.jpg

UE is a favorite brand of mine. The TF10 is a benchmark for me. Nothing matches the top end sparkle or the bass presence and body (especially for a BA setup, but even compared to many dynamics). I actually bought a new pair recently, and I still greatly enjoy it. It's an earphone that you listen to and don't immediately appreciate how good it truly is. It's an earphone that you really start to appreciate once you start directly comparing it against other earphones, 1, 10, 30, however many you buy to try out and pit each and every one against it. You then truly understand how good the TF10 actually is. I'm not sure why they still don't actively sell it. I'm just glad some are still floating around.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #167 of 263
My favorite IEM that is no longer available is Audio Technica's ATH-CK100. It is the second best IEM I've ever used. I still have mine, but it unfortunately need repair and lost the midrange driver on one side, crossover failure, or something.

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #168 of 263
Ultimate Ears got bought out by Logitech, and the TF10 was the last Jerry Harvey tuned earphone, so they stopped selling all the old Harvey tuned pieces. They started up with their UE900, post JH.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #169 of 263
I got my third pair of UE TF10's coming in today. Shows you how much I love the TF10 to purchase it yet again. I technically only sold it once, since the second one was a reshelled CIEM that wasn't molded properly in my left ear, so I sold it off begrudgingly. This pair i'll be keeping until they don't work anymore.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #170 of 263
True story. I bought a used TF10 from a fellow headfier used on the threads. The earphones themselves was in great shape and I got a good deal. However, all the tips that came with them was covered in ear wax. Yes it was gross beyond gross. I had to throw away the tips.

I found out the guy used to wet all the tips before throwing them in his ears. Why a person would do that is beyond me. Lol.

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #172 of 263
Oct 26, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #173 of 263
The Custom 3 would be fun to have again. It's been a very long time since I heard them, but the headphonelist review is on point matching my own testing and review back when I tried them out. For a BA, they're quite thick bodied in note, but being a BA design, it didn't get muddy. It just gets smoothed over a bit. The weight of note made them overly warm in presence, and the highs probably could have been more aggressive/hotter to make the earphone a little more interesting. They're somewhat of a rare bread offering a thick note in a BA format. Just the design wasn't rugged enough to last super long. Etymotic is about the only company that takes longevity seriously, although Shure does pretty well too with good construction and healthy use of strain reliefs. Too many companies just don't seem to care how long things last, and it doesn't really matter if it's a $50 earphone or a $500 one, or even $1500 for that matter. Too many simply don't care.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #175 of 263
Where did you find a brand new pair?

i just bought a new pair for $100.00. Ebay auction. Brand spankin'. The best way to get older stuff in new condition at a bargain is ebay auctions. eventually people get tired of bidding, and like with the Tf10, not many are looking for them, so I scored them cheap. Same went for my UE900s, UE700, and AKG N40.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #176 of 263
It's old and retro but also new again... https://www.koss.com/headphones/wir...-67254491&mc_cid=9dbe2110e3&mc_eid=eed7cbfe3a
The Plug wireless
1605043237282.png

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #177 of 263
Funny I just stumbled across this thread now since I jumped into the way back machine myself.

Pulled my old GR07BE out of the drawer. Man alive. The mids are way too prominent, made them sound very thin, no body. I figured I'd just need a few hours to let the ears adjust. Been 2 days and they still sound wrong. Female pop is OKish… rock, metal… nope. These things were hyped pretty big back in the day, is this how they always sounded? Have my tastes just changed? Is Vsonic even still a thing - I never hear them mentioned anymore?

On the other hand the B3P1 are still holding court. I had to take some Sugru to the cables to make sure they didn't break off the earpieces. But other than looking fuggly - Amazon sent me white instead of black Sugru, they're still living up to all my expectations. Too bad Havi didn't manage to make that new model (or was it for the best. The B3P1 set the bar pretty high, might be hard to meet the expectations)

Don't type in "tpeos" on AE :astonished:

Dude, that's like posting a "wet paint" sign on a chair. You know folks are gonna touch it.:ksc75smile: If I wasn't such a lazy, lazy man I'd start a thread for failed AE searches. I've had some freakishly bizarre results over the years. Always good for a laugh.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #178 of 263
I sold me Havi B3 and my GR07BE. Had both a month, and couldn't get into either. too lean for me at the time. I've come to appreciate a leaner more balanced sound due to my BA collection, but back then, it was a no go for me on both.

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #179 of 263
I got my third pair of UE TF10's coming in today. Shows you how much I love the TF10 to purchase it yet again. I technically only sold it once, since the second one was a reshelled CIEM that wasn't molded properly in my left ear, so I sold it off begrudgingly. This pair i'll be keeping until they don't work anymore.

Picked up a set of used TF10. They were in pretty bad shape, but I spent some time cleaning them all up.

I also swapped out the stock cable for a balanced Hibiscus cable, and found out that the TF10 was wired out of phase from the factory lol. The previous owner had used them like that and never even knew it lol.

I hate the fit of them, so I’ll probably be reshelling them. At that time I’ll correct the phase wiring :)

I wish I had bought these years ago when they were being blown out on Amazon for $99. I would have bought a few pairs.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #180 of 263
Picked up a set of used TF10. They were in pretty bad shape, but I spent some time cleaning them all up.

I also swapped out the stock cable for a balanced Hibiscus cable, and found out that the TF10 was wired out of phase from the factory lol. The previous owner had used them like that and never even knew it lol.

I hate the fit of them, so I’ll probably be reshelling them. At that time I’ll correct the phase wiring :)

I wish I had bought these years ago when they were being blown out on Amazon for $99. I would have bought a few pairs.

I love mine, and with the AZLA Xelastic's, they fit me really well and stay in without budging. I got a balanced cable coming in today, so we'll see how they sound balanced? Yeah, many years ago (i think 8 years ago?), they were on amazon Black Friday for $99. I bought my first pair at that time, then I sold them to fund a pair of Sony XBA40's. Big ass mistake!!! I've regretted that move from the day i recieved those Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back