The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 1,528
I've never had a tube dac or Lampizator. I just wonder if those same tubes have more influence in a dac or amp. On my SET amp, it's giving me the chills. :) It's already afternoon and I'm still listening to Beck's 'Morning'. Using EL11 and EL12 spez, the song sound so haunting, I'm ready to hug the hot tubes.

Wait till you get your custom amp.
Depends on the amp and DAC designs I guess. I know with the modern McIntosh amp designs the tubes have less of an effect than with the vintage amps.

Custom amp is coming soon and is looking great. But of course I would say that :)

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #32 of 1,528
Custom amp is coming soon and is looking great. But of course I would say that :)

Let me see.... you'll be very engrossed with your custom amp for a loooong time. You will eat, sleep and drink on that amp. Odyssey is my shadow now. Follows me everywhere I go.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #33 of 1,528
I'm going to the shops now. I'll leave you this pair of adapters for you to think about. It just arrived ! Feels quality in the flesh. :) When I come back, I'll share more of my tubes.

IMG_3098.jpg

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #34 of 1,528
GEC KT66 which Leftside has also shown his. Bought this NOS NIB from my supplier. I really couldn't pick a favourite amongst my tubes because they sound incredulous. I have this in my amp now with Brimar 6SL7. It's a really good tone on Private Investigations. Mids and mid bass is really good. :) Clarity is outstanding.

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #37 of 1,528
Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 xf2 B5L2 double O getters, dark brown base 1962 - 1968. Smooth and dynamic. Much better than the RFT EL34 to my ears.

IMG_3101 (1).jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg
Second week of November 1965 Blackburn Mullards :wink: A pair of the most famous EL34 ever made. They must have made a lot of them, as they still come up for sale quite often. A "go to" EL34 for a lot of folks. Especially popular in guitar amps.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #38 of 1,528
GEC KT66 which Leftside has also shown his. Bought this NOS NIB from my supplier. I really couldn't pick a favourite amongst my tubes because they sound incredulous. I have this in my amp now with Brimar 6SL7. It's a really good tone on Private Investigations. Mids and mid bass is really good. :) Clarity is outstanding.

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg
These two look genuine, but I just want to warn folks to be a little careful with the brown base, clear glass, KT66. If you look on eBay, or elsewhere you might wonder sometimes why there seems to be quite a few of these tubes, but not so many with the black base and/or grey glass.
https://jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.html
http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=11073

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #39 of 1,528
These two look genuine, but I just want to warn folks to be a little careful with the brown base, clear glass, KT66. If you look on eBay, or elsewhere you might wonder sometimes why there seems to be quite a few of these tubes, but not so many with the black base and/or grey glass.

I've never doubted my supplier, a private collector who uses a Leak amplifier. Except he won't sell me his GEC KT77 because he has only a quad to use in his amp. :) With more time in the KT66, it's a beautiful sounding tube which is still sitting in Odyssey.

Any idea what year they are?

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #40 of 1,528
I have a pair of smoked glass GEC KT-66 I listed for sale here as I don't use them since I am the proud owner of 2 pairs of GEC KT-88 which I prefer. I am pretty certain they are genuine 1956, Hammersmith factory, but if anyone spots a "red flag" please let me know as my integrity and head-fi credibility are too important, I'd never want to sell a knockoff as the real deal.

Thanks for the heads-up @leftside!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #41 of 1,528
I have a pair of smoked glass GEC KT-66 I listed for sale here as I don't use them since I am the proud owner of 2 pairs of GEC KT-88 which I prefer. I am pretty certain they are genuine 1956, Hammersmith factory, but if anyone spots a "red flag" please let me know as my integrity and head-fi credibility are too important, I'd never want to sell a knockoff as the real deal.

You're killing me Lory. I've got a list of tubes lining up screaming buy me but now I hear there's a Telemarcus, the son of Odyssey about to be born in Dec. :beyersmile:

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #42 of 1,528
I've never doubted my supplier, a private collector who uses a Leak amplifier. Except he won't sell me his GEC KT77 because he has only a quad to use in his amp. :) With more time in the KT66, it's a beautiful sounding tube which is still sitting in Odyssey.

Any idea what year they are?
I'm guessing early 70's, but the print on the side will give them away.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #43 of 1,528

It's just the clear glass ones you have to watch out for.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #44 of 1,528
You're killing me Lory. I've got a list of tubes lining up screaming buy me but now I hear there's a Telemarcus, the son of Odyssey about to be born in Dec. :beyersmile:
Ah, but it would make me feel better knowing that they were going to a true connoisseur! Not sure why but just didn't love KT-66 in Elise, but currently powers of GEC KT-88 are superb. As we always say so many great options and it usually comes down to synergy with one's gear and preference.

Telemarcus, huh, do tell? if it's anything like Odyssey won't require Telemarketing to generate interest. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back