The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #9,903 of 10,006
These just arrived today. I ordered from a well-reviewed eBay seller in China and showed up in 4 days to western Canada! This is my first set of “aftermarket“ tubes after recently buying my first tube amp, Schiit Lyr+. I’ve ordered a couple of more styles to try, just waiting on delivery.

I must say I’m very impressed with packaging and presentation. Haven’t tried listening but no hurry to do so and will wait for a snowy/rainy day.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #9,904 of 10,006
Those are Fotons of some vintage.... @bcowen can give you the exact details of how empty the vodka bottle was that day. 🤣

Not in any way a backup to a Brimar CV1988. There are decent enough for banjo/accordion duets... but not my cup of dull, bland meh sonics.
I’m in the middle of moving right now and don’t have access to my tubes to compare, but based on the micas I’d say those are 70’s or 80’s Fotons. Decent $5 tube. The ‘51 - ‘56 ribbed plates are much better. Still, not gonna put even those up against any of the top tier Euro tubes, but they synergize nicely in some amps and used to be quite cheap. I liked the sound (a lot) of the ‘50’s production in a couple Schiit amps. Not so much in my Incubus amp. YMMV, ‘cause mine sure did. :smile:

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #9,905 of 10,006
OK - back to real tubes again. In these days of ever escalating prices of desirable tubes I have found a garden variety RCA 6SN7GT that IMHO is a top tier tube. This tube should be inexpensive but it is a little hard to find but not because it is rare; I'll explain:
This 6SN7GT tube is from the late sixties. RCA made several different such tubes, but I only found one variant that sounds great. This variant has a little heater wire above the top mica and black parallel plates. All the ones I have seen have red print on the base. There are also rebranded such tubes that should make them even cheaper (I have pair Stromberg-Carlson branded ones - S-C was a radio manufacturer). The problem is that most such tubes when pictured in the ads don't show that little heater wire. Here is a spotters guide:

My tube in action; more pictures below:

If anyone has this variant, please try it and let me know what you think of the sound.
Yes back to real tubes....
Recently I got so many different types of RCA GTB and even a GTA. Sadly this late 1960 version with the heater wire is still missing.

Next week I will get a Canadian 6SN7GTB 1967 tall bottle pair with RCA tooling as well. Same Era but no heater wire on top.
Screenshot_20240308-220517.png

RCA 6SN7GTB tall bottle short gap, unique with that smaller mica construction. They were made for 6 Months in late 1959 to 1960. These sound very clean. No RCA warmth on these tubes. They are my favourite.
PXL_20231228_121602006.MP~2.jpg

RCA 6SN7GTA 1955 short bottle with double side getter and Canadian 6SN7GTB short bottle with side getter and heater wire on the top mica. Both are on the warmer side. Especially the Canadian tube.
PXL_20240305_071624979.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #9,906 of 10,006
Yes back to real tubes....
Recently I got so many different types of RCA GTB and even a GTA. Sadly this late 1960 version with the heater wire is still missing.

Next week I will get a Canadian 6SN7GTB 1967 tall bottle pair with RCA tooling as well.
Screenshot_20240308-220517.png

RCA 6SN7GTB tall bottle short gap, unique with that smaller mics construction. They were made for 6 Months in late 1959 to 1960. These sound very clean. No RCA warmth on these tubes. They are my favourite.
PXL_20231228_121602006.MP~2.jpg

RCA 6SN7GTA 1955 short bottle with double side getter and Canadian 6SN7GTB short bottle with side getter and heater wire on the top mica. Both are on the warmer side. Especially the Canadian tube.
PXL_20240305_071624979.MP~2.jpg
Some nice tubes there. Also you might want to check out Canadian Marconi Radiotron 6SN7/6J5/12J5. The latter are rare, but compare well with the top tier of British Marconi/GEC L63s.

A little know factoid* is most Canadian tubes are tastier - coated their heaters with a special thermionic layer of maple syrup.

* little known since I just made it up. :ksc75smile:

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #9,907 of 10,006
Some nice tubes there. Also you might want to check out Canadian Marconi Radiotron 6SN7/6J5/12J5. The latter are rare, but compare well with the top tier of British Marconi/GEC L63s.

A little know factoid* is most Canadian tubes are tastier - coated their heaters with a special thermionic layer of maple syrup.

Be careful, as that syrup may clog the sync trap and cause the bathtub capacitor to overflow!

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #9,908 of 10,006
Some nice tubes there. Also you might want to check out Canadian Marconi Radiotron 6SN7/6J5/12J5. The latter are rare, but compare well with the top tier of British Marconi/GEC L63s. A little know factoid* is most Canadian tubes are tastier - coated their heaters with a special thermionic layer of maple syrup. * little known since I just made it up
You may be onto something here- a quick google search shows that maple syrup has antioxidant properties- the darker the better.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #9,909 of 10,006
You may be onto something here- a quick google search shows that maple syrup has antioxidant properties- the darker the better.
Oh... only 60 years too late... but Canadian Marconi could have 'advertised' longer-life heaters due to the anti-oxidant properties of maple syrup imbued heaters. :yum:

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #9,910 of 10,006

Learn something new every day. But you’re not allowed to talk about them, you can only talk aboot them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #9,911 of 10,006
Oh... only 60 years too late... but Canadian Marconi could have 'advertised' longer-life heaters due to the anti-oxidant properties of maple syrup imbued heaters. :yum:
Probably after the disaster of their experiments using stubby Molson bottles for glass envelopes, they were a little gun-shy:laughing:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #9,912 of 10,006

.... also, be on the lookout for the mythic, the venerated 'maple leaf getter' 12J5s 🍁 ☑️

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #9,913 of 10,006
Can anyone explain how to identify specifically a *1943* Sylvania VT-231? There seems to be no date codes whatsoever. :frowning2:
Early pairs always have top mica cutouts like shown in th picture. They were produced in 1943 to first weeks in 1944.
Shown in the picture is the mid 1943 version with old vt-231 print and foil getter. They don't really sound different than the later version.
I think start February 1944 the top mica started to have those V-cutouts. That marks the latest version being made until 1945.
You can see the date of these tubes at a date code on the base like A4 - first and second week in the year 1944 or the same code etched in the glass under the 6SN7GT marking. Some tubes have both, some have no date codes at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_052029030.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230914_052029030.MP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230914_052015207.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230914_052015207.MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #9,914 of 10,006
Did an inventory of my 7n7 tubes. At first I thought all of my clear glass tall 7n7 were "Frankies" but looking again at the description I noticed that there were two different mica shapes. One is smaller and oval and the other is larger with straight sides. The oval is the one to look for apparently. According to my count my tall 7n7 collection is 4 Frankies, 6 regular, 3 black glass, and 3 of the hard to find NU round plate. One of my regular tall 7n7 also has a support rod but I think it also has the larger mica.

Trying a Frankie now. Does sound a little different than the tall 7n7 with the larger mica. Sounds bigger, more open and more bass I think. Pretty sure I got all of these in a bulk order from Nebraska Surplus sales. I had requested tall 7n7 tubes and they obliged at a slightly higher rate. I also saw that they had some more expensive Philco branded 7n7 and I asked what that was about. He said that they were the best measuring 7n7 there had ever seen. I then asked if they sounded better and he said, "Oh, we don't fool around with things like that, we just look for the best measurements." So ok, good measurements are good right? Got a few of them. They look brand new and come with their fancy measurement print out. They are the short bottles with angled plates, a tube I already had a fair amount of. And they sound just the same as well. Not a bad tube but the tall bottle T-plates are better.

I have tried to make some orders with them more recently but have been unable to get anyone on the phone and emails aren't responded to. I have a feeling they are steering clear of audiophile nonsense. Or at least they probably aren't interested in looking at all of their tubes to find a certain plate type for a cheap order. Probably best to think of them as a wholesaler. Buy in bulk and then weed through to find the good stuff.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #9,915 of 10,006
Another paired set arrived today. Ordered via a well-reviewed eBay vendor in China. Very quick delivery to Canada.
I know nothing about tubes but this thread is helping. So far I’m just basing purchases on aesthetics. Lol.
IMG_0233.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back