The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #9,721 of 10,003
Hi all, I found this hallicrafters 6SN7 while thrifting over the weekend. Can't find much information about this online, anyone have any insights?

tube.png

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #9,723 of 10,003
I have some Apos 6SN7 select tubes and agree with all he wrote.
Hmm, I've seen these before and kinda dismissed them. Are they really that good? Have you experience with many other 6SN7 to compare to?

Seems I've become a bit of a tube addict and these Apos tubes, the select and reserve, have got me clucking for a fix!

I've amassed a pretty decent collection of 6SN7, are the Select likely to any better than mine in your opinion? (see pic) Yes, I know some prefer the 6J5s et al over 6SN7, but I'm asking specifically about the 6SN7 only.

So, just a couple more questions. 1st one I doubt can be answered as no comparisons or reviews on the Reserve, yet;
1. Is it really worth the extra cost for the top 5% cherry picked Reserve over the much cheaper Select?
2. I have a fairly modest system, tube amp being a Lyr+ and possibly a Woo WA6 g1 soon (which would require 2 tubes with adapters). If the Reserve really are that much better, would my modest amp(s) be able to do them justice?

3. Would I even notice much difference if I went with the Select instead, and comparing them to my supply, given that my rig might not honor their full potential or be that noticeable?

Oh come on guys, just gimme a reason to spend more on credit lol! But seriously tho, it's it worth it...

Just one more thing, I'm after a warmer tubier sound at the moment. If that sheds any light...
PXL_20240208_181841974.jpg

Oh and no, I noticed no difference using those O rings/dampers. They are now spacers!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #9,726 of 10,003
These are NU too. Or does the C make a difference?

It's not the "C" that makes the difference. It's the grey glass 6SN7 vs the black glass above. National Union Grey Glass 6SN7 is one of my all-time favorite 6SN7's, which I would take over Tung Sol roundplate, Sylvania bad boys. The black glass is a bit more neutral than grey but not as tonally supreme.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #9,727 of 10,003
It's not the "C" that makes the difference. It's the grey glass 6SN7 vs the black glass above. National Union Grey Glass 6SN7 is one of my all-time favorite 6SN7's, which I would take over Tung Sol roundplate, Sylvania bad boys. The black glass is a bit more neutral than grey but not as tonally supreme.
Thanks for the clarification. I like these grey glass too.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #9,728 of 10,003
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #9,729 of 10,003
Hmm, I've seen these before and kinda dismissed them. Are they really that good? Have you experience with many other 6SN7 to compare to?
PXL_20240208_181841974.jpg

I think you have seen those Apos Ray "special" tubes in your very own tube collection :wink:.
As can be seen by the Apos tubes build (6SN7 and 12AU7) they seem to have the exact same internals as the other Psvane tubes from Psvane factory.
They are just sold at a premium price with a premium label on them. I'd expect a very similar soundsignature to the Psvane.

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #9,730 of 10,003
I think you have seen those Apos Ray "special" tubes in your very own tube collection :wink:.
As can be seen by the Apos tubes build (6SN7 and 12AU7) they seem to have the exact same internals as the other Psvane tubes from Psvane factory.
They are just sold at a premium price with a premium label on them. I'd expect a very similar soundsignature to the Psvane.
Brilliant, cheers fella! Hadn't even thought to consider comparing internals to my existing...

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #9,731 of 10,003
So Apos “is” PSVane?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back