The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #9,226 of 10,006
The Fivre 6SN7GT has a leaner presentation - closer to 70s Melz - than nearly all 6SN7s.
PXL_20230816_165040109.MP.jpg
PXL_20230816_165025599.MP.jpg

Are we talking about this Fivre tube with grey plates? I would say that's a pretty warm sounding similar to a later Sylvania GTB.

Maybe the black plate version sounds different?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #9,227 of 10,006
PXL_20230816_165040109.MP.jpgPXL_20230816_165025599.MP.jpg
Are we talking about this Fivre tube with grey plates? I would say that's a pretty warm sounding GTB.

Maybe the black plate version sounds different?
Mine are black plate and GT, not GTB. Not warm at all. Need to dig them out of storage and see if they are still as lean as I recall since my ears are fattened-up over the years :sweat_smile:

Also... and this is the fun and terrifying part of tube rolling. The sonic profile is very dependent on the amp circuit and of course, entire signal chain. That's why we must personally roll them all! :ksc75smile:

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #9,228 of 10,006
Mine are black plate and GT, not GTB.
Mine were sold by Langrex as GTB, but have the 6SN7GT etching. Still staging is limited like a GTB.
Sadly those black plate versions are very expensive and mostly sold by italian sellers.

Need to dig them out of storage and see if they are still as lean as I recall since my ears are fattened-up over the years :sweat_smile:
Great idea, please leave us a picture here.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #9,229 of 10,006
I find 70s Melz to be...umm... fairly dry, harsh, bright and don't compare well to the smoother sounding versions from the 50s to my delicate sensibilities. :joy: However, I do like my cabernets on the dry side. :sweat_smile:

Agree with other posters about dipping your cab in Twins. Except you will need a quad. Getting a matched quad of good 6J5s is not as easy as it once was.

A matched set of 6S2S wouldn't be too hard to find. A matched quad of Marconi L63s could be a little tougher, much more expensive and more delightful. A quad of Sylvania 6J5Gs could be a sparkling option as well. The Visseaux 6J5M would be a great match to the chrome domes on the Cab as well as delivering excellent detail and staging.

I really enjoy the Tungsol VT-99, but it is a smoother sonic drink compared to the 70s Melz. From my collection, would suggest the 6SN7W - it has great resolution and a bit sparkly up top. The 7N7 'Frankie' of the era is lower cost option - same construction as 6SN7W - in a loctal base.

The Fivre 6SN7GT has a leaner presentation - closer to 70s Melz - than nearly all 6SN7s.

Alternatively... you could go smaller - with noval-to-octal adapters. RFT foil getter ECC82 is a remarkable kiddie's tube. Or for silly money, TFK G73-R.

Yes, they should, but would need a pair of 6J5-to-6SN7 adapters.

However, This pair of 50s Melz 1578s are quite tempting at not a totally crazy price.

The question really is, are you happy with the 70s Melz? Or do you want to roll on to something different?
Hmm, they are not 1578’s as far as I know!

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #9,231 of 10,006
I find 70s Melz to be...umm... fairly dry, harsh, bright and don't compare well to the smoother sounding versions from the 50s to my delicate sensibilities. :joy: However, I do like my cabernets on the dry side. :sweat_smile:

Agree with other posters about dipping your cab in Twins. Except you will need a quad. Getting a matched quad of good 6J5s is not as easy as it once was.

A matched set of 6S2S wouldn't be too hard to find. A matched quad of Marconi L63s could be a little tougher, much more expensive and more delightful. A quad of Sylvania 6J5Gs could be a sparkling option as well. The Visseaux 6J5M would be a great match to the chrome domes on the Cab as well as delivering excellent detail and staging.

I really enjoy the Tungsol VT-99, but it is a smoother sonic drink compared to the 70s Melz. From my collection, would suggest the 6SN7W - it has great resolution and a bit sparkly up top. The 7N7 'Frankie' of the era is lower cost option - same construction as 6SN7W - in a loctal base.

Alternatively... you could go smaller - with noval-to-octal adapters. RFT foil getter ECC82 is a remarkable kiddie's tube. Or for silly money, TFK G73-R.

However, This pair of 50s Melz 1578s are quite tempting at not a totally crazy price.

The question really is, are you happy with the 70s Melz? Or do you want to roll on to something different?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'll look into the 6J5's you mentioned. I do like the 70's melz though I do wish a little bit more warmth in the mids. The highs, while fairly bright, didn't bother me very much most of the time. In that sense, if there's something that is just a little smoother up top, that would be welcomed. Which 6SN7W are you referring to?

The ebay listing you provided doesn't seem like those melz are 1578 6SN7's, unless the earlier ones had round plates (I was under the impression the oval plate ones are 6N8S's and not the same thing)

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #9,232 of 10,006
Woah, wasn't expecting such awesome replies. Thanks everyone for your input, I've got a lot to look through! I'm super new to tubes but the Melz I had were from 1976 and I found them to be very detailed and spacious with really great linear bass, almost bright sounding, and a little bit lean in the mids. I'm currently using a supratek cabernet 6SN7 ver. if that matters at all.

Would the adapters work fine with the cabernet I have?
Yup, I have a Cabernet myself.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #9,233 of 10,006

I have never bothered to match up my single triodes and haven’t noticed any problems. If you buy some 6j5 and like them you can easily buy more if matching is super critical to you. I’m not sure how the Cabernet uses the two triodes per side. Are the two triodes paralleled?

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #9,235 of 10,006
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'll look into the 6J5's you mentioned. I do like the 70's melz though I do wish a little bit more warmth in the mids. The highs, while fairly bright, didn't bother me very much most of the time. In that sense, if there's something that is just a little smoother up top, that would be welcomed. Which 6SN7W are you referring to?
The WWII Sylvania 6SN7W. Only Sylvania made those. Short or tall bottle. Both are very good. The metal base version is the holy grail edition - at unholy prices.

My short bottles are like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145120475907

s-l1600.jpg

The ebay listing you provided doesn't seem like those melz are 1578 6SN7's, unless the earlier ones had round plates (I was under the impression the oval plate ones are 6N8S's and not the same thing)
They're not round plates... they're holy plates. Or as holy as communist atheists could make them. :sweat_smile:

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #9,236 of 10,006
The WWII Sylvania 6SN7W. Only Sylvania made those. Short or tall bottle. Both are very good. The metal base version is the holy grail edition - at unholy prices.

My short bottles are like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145120475907

s-l1600.jpg

They're not round plates... they're holy plates. Or as holy as communist atheists could make them. :sweat_smile:
I’ve got a couple of sleeves of the 12v version of this tube, very nice. I have speculated that the 14n7 is probably a 12v version of the metal based 6sn7w. I think they sound better than the other *sn7 from Sylvania and they have the same copper support rod as the metal based 6sn7w.

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #9,237 of 10,006
So if I understand correctly that construction in the NU 6F8G with round plates and support rods is not carried over to their 6SN7 versions?
Correct. There are some 7n7 round plates made by NU that are supposed to sound the same But they are rare and hard to find.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #9,238 of 10,006
I’ve got a couple of sleeves of the 12v version of this tube, very nice. I have speculated that the 14n7 is probably a 12v version of the metal based 6sn7w. I think they sound better than the other *sn7 from Sylvania and they have the same copper support rod as the metal based 6sn7w.
Care to sell any? PM me :)

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #9,239 of 10,006
1692580013677.png

Is this a Frankie tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back