The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #9,211 of 10,006
Are we talking about these? I know them as grey glass. Is there a black glass version?

No, these are the earlier version with grey glass, later version is black glass like the KR or TS.
No NU 6f8g is a different tube with round plates. It's unique as 6f8g in sound and construction.
Lol...so much confusion, I believe he is talking about NU 6SN7GT black glass tube

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #9,214 of 10,006
Hello! I just wanted to check into this thread because I was curious about alternatives to the MELZ 1578 (Sadly, one mine died yesterday). If it exists, I'm basically looking for the most detailed sounding 6SN7 that still retains some mid/low end warmth.

Aug 20, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #9,215 of 10,006
Hello! I just wanted to check into this thread because I was curious about alternatives to the MELZ 1578 (Sadly, one mine died yesterday). If it exists, I'm basically looking for the most detailed sounding 6SN7 that still retains some mid/low end warmth.
Early melz solid plates is warm and better build quality than the slotted plate variant. Darker sounding than the later melz.

Mullard ecc32
Sylvania 6sn7w
Tungsol vt-231
Sylvania badboys (dark sound)
RCA vt-231
RCA 5692

These would come to my mind to match your preference.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #9,216 of 10,006
If your amp can accept the Mullard ECC 32 (it's not exactly the same as 6SN7) it's a great replacement for the Melz 1578.
It is my tube of choice use in my Wa22.
I still have a pair of Melz 1578 (1954 and 1973), great tubes but to my ears and with my rectifier(GZ37 fat bottle) and power tubes (GEC1874) I prefer the ECC 32.
Obviously this is also dependant your rectifier and power tube choice.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #9,217 of 10,006
If you like Melz, look into....
Tung-Sol 6SN7 BGRP
Tung-Sol 6F8G
Tung-Sol 6C8G
For the Mullard ECC series (ECC31, ECC32, ECC33, ECC34), ECC33 has the most detailed high and mid with great low
Nevertheless, they all sound great.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #9,218 of 10,006
Unfortunately never heard a Melz, but can highly recommend 6F8G Sylvania VT-99.
Best I heard in my Euforia!

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #9,219 of 10,006
I may get crucified for this, but I would say Sylvania 6f8g from the '40s are BETTER than the Melz, not to mention cheaper and more plentiful. Melz have a lean, smooth, large and yes, very detailed sound, which to be honest isn't the best synergy with the rest of my system. If that's what you're looking for, great. The Sylvanias have a more exciting sound (more texture and sparkle) while still being very neutral and natural.

I would even recommend National Union round plate 6f8g for a similar sound as the Melz, but with more meat on the bones. Tung Sols are great too, but I only have a single and can't compare in my big amp.

AND I'm still getting to know the Mullard VR135 and GEC CV6 that are cheaper still, though less plentiful, and more to my personal taste (better?) than the Melz.

Melz are great, don't get me wrong, but the way the market for them has gone, I would say don't fret if you can't find/ can't afford them.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #9,220 of 10,006
For detail I have yet to hear a twin triode that can match separate triodes. A dual 6j5 to 6sn7 adapter is well worth the money. Even inexpensive 6j5 tubes have impressive clarity. The readily available Sylvania 6j5gt with round plates stands out to me in the detail category while the Raytheon W series and Tungsol have a fuller bass sound in my system. Check out the 6j5 thread for ideas if that appeals.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #9,221 of 10,006
I may get crucified for this, but I would say Sylvania 6f8g from the '40s are BETTER than the Melz, not to mention cheaper and more plentiful. Melz have a lean, smooth, large and yes, very detailed sound, which to be honest isn't the best synergy with the rest of my system. If that's what you're looking for, great. The Sylvanias have a more exciting sound (more texture and sparkle) while still being very neutral and natural.

I would even recommend National Union round plate 6f8g for a similar sound as the Melz, but with more meat on the bones. Tung Sols are great too, but I only have a single and can't compare in my big amp.

AND I'm still getting to know the Mullard VR135 and GEC CV6 that are cheaper still, though less plentiful, and more to my personal taste (better?) than the Melz.

Melz are great, don't get me wrong, but the way the market for them has gone, I would say don't fret if you can't find/ can't afford them.
If your amp has the space needed for dual adapters, using pairs of 6J5GT tubes may yield even better results than 6SN7 family tubes.
Many of these tubes, which are 1/2 of a 6SN7, are much less expensive than the 6SN7 tubes.
A great sounding inexpensive tube is the Russian 6S2S.

Aug 20, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9,222 of 10,006
If your amp has the space needed for dual adapters, using pairs of 6J5GT tubes may yield even better results than 6SN7 family tubes.
Many of these tubes, which are 1/2 of a 6SN7, are much less expensive than the 6SN7 tubes.
A great sounding inexpensive tube is the Russian 6S2S.
Maybe I should read more of the 6J5 thread before I ask this, but any vintage/version of 6s2s to look for? I see 50s metal base, 60s black base grey plates, but no idea who makes them.

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #9,223 of 10,006
Maybe I should read more of the 6J5 thread before I ask this, but any vintage/version of 6s2s to look for? I see 50s metal base, 60s black base grey plates, but no idea who makes them.
It seems that most of the Russian 6S2S/6c2c are made by NEVZ/Novosibirsk. I have 1973 and 1980 tubes black base and unknown year - they all sound the same. - Some say 50’s tubes are the ones to look for- don’t know.
Don’t have experience yet with metal base - some say sound a little better.
There are also 6S2S tubes made by MELZ but much more expensive.
IMHO any cheap 6S2S tube will make you happy - can be found for around $7 each including shipping if you shop around (Best offer etc).
Shipping from Ukraine takes around three weeks to the US.

Aug 20, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #9,224 of 10,006
Woah, wasn't expecting such awesome replies. Thanks everyone for your input, I've got a lot to look through! I'm super new to tubes but the Melz I had were from 1976 and I found them to be very detailed and spacious with really great linear bass, almost bright sounding, and a little bit lean in the mids. I'm currently using a supratek cabernet 6SN7 ver. if that matters at all.
For detail I have yet to hear a twin triode that can match separate triodes. A dual 6j5 to 6sn7 adapter is well worth the money. Even inexpensive 6j5 tubes have impressive clarity. The readily available Sylvania 6j5gt with round plates stands out to me in the detail category while the Raytheon W series and Tungsol have a fuller bass sound in my system. Check out the 6j5 thread for ideas if that appeals.
Would the adapters work fine with the cabernet I have?

Aug 20, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #9,225 of 10,006
Woah, wasn't expecting such awesome replies. Thanks everyone for your input, I've got a lot to look through! I'm super new to tubes but the Melz I had were from 1976 and I found them to be very detailed and spacious with really great linear bass, almost bright sounding, and a little bit lean in the mids. I'm currently using a supratek cabernet 6SN7 ver. if that matters at all.
I find 70s Melz to be...umm... fairly dry, harsh, bright and don't compare well to the smoother sounding versions from the 50s to my delicate sensibilities. :joy: However, I do like my cabernets on the dry side. :sweat_smile:

Agree with other posters about dipping your cab in Twins. Except you will need a quad. Getting a matched quad of good 6J5s is not as easy as it once was.

A matched set of 6S2S wouldn't be too hard to find. A matched quad of Marconi L63s could be a little tougher, much more expensive and more delightful. A quad of Sylvania 6J5Gs could be a sparkling option as well. The Visseaux 6J5M would be a great match to the chrome domes on the Cab as well as delivering excellent detail and staging.

I really enjoy the Tungsol VT-99, but it is a smoother sonic drink compared to the 70s Melz. From my collection, would suggest the 6SN7W - it has great resolution and a bit sparkly up top. The 7N7 'Frankie' of the era is lower cost option - same construction as 6SN7W - in a loctal base.

The Fivre 6SN7GT has a leaner presentation - closer to 70s Melz - than nearly all 6SN7s.

Alternatively... you could go smaller - with noval-to-octal adapters. RFT foil getter ECC82 is a remarkable kiddie's tube. Or for silly money, TFK G73-R.

Would the adapters work fine with the cabernet I have?
Yes, they should, but would need a pair of 6J5-to-6SN7 adapters.

However, This pair of 50s Melz 1578s are quite tempting at not a totally crazy price.

The question really is, are you happy with the 70s Melz? Or do you want to roll on to something different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back