The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,691 of 10,057
Has anyone ever rolled mullard ecc34's ? I've read that they're the low impedance version of the famous ecc32's. I'm curious about how they compare against the 6f8g's.

Lately it's been a hard choice for me deciding whether I should use the 6f8g's or the melz tubes in my amp. I decided to stick with the 6f8g's and I even ordered a pair of NOS 6C8G'S, with the boxes and all that good stuff. I received those beauties today. Both pairs sound identical, so the 6c8g's will be my spare pair of tubes for now in case anything happens, as well as the 10+ other melz tubes that I have :grin:
Nice Grab!! :sunglasses:

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,692 of 10,057
giphy.gif

Even without any Sennheisers included? Spendthrift. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,693 of 10,057
Solder is overrated. :smile:

Seriously though, some of the videos I've seen on YouTube are downright scary. "Here, just touch the 2 pieces together and drop a blob of solder on them." My Dad always taught me to think of solder as a sealant, not a glue. The electrical connection should be integral and solid and should work perfectly without soldering it. The solder just assures it doesn't vibrate loose and seals it from oxidation or corrosion. You can only wonder how many people watch some of those idiot YouTube's and think they know what they're doing. So since you know that I know that you know what you're doing, I'm not worried about the wire wrap. LOL!
Soldering is better described as low temperature welding IMHO but not everyone considers the strength of the connection before solder is applied. Good point about electrical connection.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #3,694 of 10,057
You are right on that, he could very well be hiding things. Heck, maybe I did get a bad pair. But like I said, I'm still satisfied with the tubes and they are in my collection right now in case anything bad happens. Because tubes are tubes.

If we were talking about $500 tubes I don't think I would be ordering them from India, unless the seller was someone I could trust. :wink:
Yeah. I took it from a wrong angle, perhaps. I wish you enjoy the tubes. I was looking at some C68G and some and C6F8 and 7193 and suddenly realized that I HAVE MORE BLOODY TUBES THAT I CAN EVER LISTEN TO! That's why I do not need more, not because they are more expensive than they used to be, or sold from India!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,697 of 10,057
Have now had a morning with the Melz 1578, very nice tubes indeed. I only have the faintest of hum which disappears immediately music starts, so at the moment I am leaving the pins well alone.
The amp I designed has a little hum with the perforated plate 1578's, it can worsen depending on the power tubes. The solid plate of the same structure has no such noise even with a variety of power tubes. It was one of the things I hoped others would notice with their Incubus amps when I loaned the tube. I tend to experiment with my own amp so it may have more to do with my current setup. I am also listening with Focal Utopias so that could well be another factor.

As far as pin re-soldering, some folks just reflow the solder that is in the pins, this can be done by just laying the top of the of the soldering iron against the tip of each pin. I completely remove the old solder and reclean the inside of the pins and use silver content solder. Much of my collection of tubes and amps will be passed down to my son so I do not want to pass along something that once failed be it after sixty years or so. :ksc75smile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,698 of 10,057
The amp I designed has a little hum with the perforated plate 1578's, it can worsen depending on the power tubes. The solid plate of the same structure has no such noise even with a variety of power tubes. It was one of the things I hoped others would notice with their Incubus amps when I loaned the tube. I tend to experiment with my own amp so it may have more to do with my current setup. I am also listening with Focal Utopias so that could well be another factor.

As far as pin re-soldering, some folks just reflow the solder that is in the pins, this can be done by just laying the top of the of the soldering iron against the tip of each pin. I completely remove the old solder and reclean the inside of the pins and use silver content solder. Much of my collection of tubes and amps will be passed down to my son so I do not want to pass along something that once failed be it after sixty years or so. :ksc75smile:
I'm starting to believe that Marconi is an RCA.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,699 of 10,057
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #3,700 of 10,057
Depending on when and where it was made, it pretty much is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA
I worked for RCA for five years and was at the liquidation in 1986, later while with another company I did work with GE but nothing involving tubes. It was all solid state by then. What was once the largest color television plant in the world is now a parking lot and some medical offices have moved in. This part of Indiana once had a thriving electronics industry as well as GE and Westinghouse plants.

I am starting to make cuts on the lacewood for my loaner amp, I need to figure out the splines but I am rigging up a couple samples so I can get a better look. It does align perfectly, I was rushing to put some mineral spirits on the boards so I could get a better look at the color.

maple splines will work best but I may make an ebony sample as well.

lacewood amp.jpgsplines.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,701 of 10,057
Much of my collection of tubes and amps will be passed down to my son so I do not want to pass along something that once failed be it after sixty years or so. :ksc75smile:
Perhaps you should name the amps "Legacy" with a prefix for design detail, EG - "Lacewood Legacy" or for Mr. Cowen "Cardboard Legacy"! :ksc75smile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3,702 of 10,057
Perhaps you should name the amps "Legacy" with a prefix for design detail, EG - "Lacewood Legacy" or for Mr. Cowen "Cardboard Legacy"! :ksc75smile:
A fine idea, you have a way with words Lory. I did build Bill’s sideways, he has to listen with one headphone cup on his forehead and the other on the back of his head. Considering his choice of music I believe the loud thumping sounds get through.:L3000:

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,703 of 10,057
A fine idea, you have a way with words Lory. I did build Bill’s sideways, he has to listen with one headphone cup on his forehead and the other on the back of his head. Considering his choice of music I believe the loud thumping sounds get through.:L3000:

I prefer to listen via bone conduction. That's why I need 200 watts with 115 dB sensitive HP's. Mids and highs are so overrated anyway. :smile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,704 of 10,057
Please, educate me (or let me know where the answer lies). Where does one stop in removing old solder? Presumably, the hollow tubes extend into the vacuum?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,705 of 10,057
Please, educate me (or let me know where the answer lies). Where does one stop in removing old solder? Presumably, the hollow tubes extend into the vacuum?
no just to the base.. wires extending out of the glass tube go through the pins and extend a fraction past or just even to the tip. Not all pins are alike. Some are tapered in the tips others are more solid in metal type . Bendix are tough, real tough. Some Russian tubes aren't even true pins, there's a visalble seam along the thin metal pipes as if the metal was folded into a round pin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back