The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,676 of 10,057
OK, re-checked the record. The Russians say the best sounding Moscow-made 6H8C are with shiny perforated anodes, made from carbonised nickel: Moscow factory (МЭЛЗ), metal base, late Fifties. 1578 is an after-manufacturing testing quality assurance stamp, to certify less than 1% difference of transconductance between the triodes, and some other characteristics. These were intented for control panels of the nuclear plants, and the earliest Soviet "computer". 1578 quality stamp was awarded to tubes of different factories and different structures, according to my information. My MELZ tubes have neither ink stamps on the base nor 1578 etching on glass, just factory stamp and date etched on glass. I have seen large quantities of these tubes with ink stamp on metal base with the date as late as October 1979, which is funny, as according to my records MELZ switched 6H8C from metal base to black carbolite base in the 1960ties.
Here's a 71' with 1578 stamped on the glass .. metal base. (left tube)
Screenshot_20210115-101728.png

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,677 of 10,057
I didn't get any Sennheisers in my box.. :frowning2: I don't feel prwetty anymore.. :frowning2:

I got a bunch of electronic components already wired together in my cardboard box. You really got shafted man. :sweat: :sweat:

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,678 of 10,057
I got a bunch of electronic components already wired together in my cardboard box. You really got shafted man. :sweat: :sweat:
As I recall I used wire wrap on yours and actually soldered Jedi's components in place because I had thoughts of keeping that one for myself. Yours might vary a lot as the amp heats up and cools down but you do have the gift of variety. :ksc75smile:

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,679 of 10,057
I love how you put computer in quotes.
I'm gonna have to get me one of these, just for that fact they probably glow pretty.
6000 tubes would give you some glow :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,680 of 10,057
Has anyone ever rolled mullard ecc34's ? I've read that they're the low impedance version of the famous ecc32's. I'm curious about how they compare against the 6f8g's.

Lately it's been a hard choice for me deciding whether I should use the 6f8g's or the melz tubes in my amp. I decided to stick with the 6f8g's and I even ordered a pair of NOS 6C8G'S, with the boxes and all that good stuff. I received those beauties today. Both pairs sound identical, so the 6c8g's will be my spare pair of tubes for now in case anything happens, as well as the 10+ other melz tubes that I have :grin:

Attachments

• 20210115_165840.jpg
    20210115_165840.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210115_170002.jpg
    20210115_170002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,681 of 10,057
Has anyone ever rolled mullard ecc34's ? I've read that they're the low impedance version of the famous ecc32's. I'm curious about how they compare against the 6f8g's.

Lately it's been a hard choice for me deciding whether I should use the 6f8g's or the melz tubes in my amp. I decided to stick with the 6f8g's and I even ordered a pair of NOS 6C8G'S, with the boxes and all that good stuff. I received those beauties today. Both pairs sound identical, so the 6c8g's will be my spare pair of tubes for now in case anything happens, as well as the 10+ other melz tubes that I have :grin:
These look like sold in India. Are they genuine? The source seems to have unlimited supply of all good tube types, which is somewhat odd, is it not?

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,682 of 10,057
These look like sold in India. Are they genuine? The source seems to have unlimited supply of all good tube types, which is somewhat odd, is it not?

Yes this is correct. I think they are genuine unless there are ''fake'' 6C8G's out there. They sound identical to my 6f8g's. I didn't spend much for those tubes so I'm satisfied. As for the supply of tubes, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,683 of 10,057
Yes this is correct. I think they are genuine unless there are ''fake'' 6C8G's out there. They sound identical to my 6f8g's. I didn't spend much for those tubes so I'm satisfied. As for the supply of tubes, I'm not sure.
You consider $60 per 6C8G "not much"? That is what they charge on eBay...

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,684 of 10,057

Why are we discussing about pricing? I said that I like those tubes and that I'm satisfied about what I got for the money I spent. In the end, the only thing that's important is if I'm satisfied about my purchase. And I am. They sound identical to my 6f8g's, and if you take a quick look on ebay for tung sol 6f8g's , you will see that some people are trying to sell them for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Did I spend hundreds and hundreds for the 6c8g's ? No I did not. I would never do that.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #3,685 of 10,057
Why are we discussing about pricing? I said that I like those tubes and that I'm satisfied about what I got for the money I spent. In the end, the only thing that's important is if I'm satisfied about my purchase. And I am. They sound identical to my 6f8g's, and if you take a quick look on ebay for tung sol 6f8g's , you will see that some people are trying to sell them for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Did I spend hundreds and hundreds for the 6c8g's ? No I did not. I would never do that.
I am not questioning your decision. It is your money and you spend it as you wish, of course. I just wonder about the seller and authenticity of his stock

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #3,686 of 10,057

Sheeeez ODD. Value is relative. You don't even want to know what I paid for my cardboard box amp. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,687 of 10,057
Sheeeez ODD. Value is relative. You don't even want to know what I paid for my cardboard box amp. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
Value is. Authenticity is not. :robot:

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #3,689 of 10,057
As I recall I used wire wrap on yours and actually soldered Jedi's components in place because I had thoughts of keeping that one for myself. Yours might vary a lot as the amp heats up and cools down but you do have the gift of variety. :ksc75smile:

Solder is overrated. :smile:

Seriously though, some of the videos I've seen on YouTube are downright scary. "Here, just touch the 2 pieces together and drop a blob of solder on them." My Dad always taught me to think of solder as a sealant, not a glue. The electrical connection should be integral and solid and should work perfectly without soldering it. The solder just assures it doesn't vibrate loose and seals it from oxidation or corrosion. You can only wonder how many people watch some of those idiot YouTube's and think they know what they're doing. So since you know that I know that you know what you're doing, I'm not worried about the wire wrap. LOL!

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,690 of 10,057
I am not questioning your decision. It is your money and you spend it as you wish, of course. I just wonder about the seller and authenticity of his stock

You are right on that, he could very well be hiding things. Heck, maybe I did get a bad pair. But like I said, I'm still satisfied with the tubes and they are in my collection right now in case anything bad happens. Because tubes are tubes.

If we were talking about $500 tubes I don't think I would be ordering them from India, unless the seller was someone I could trust. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• K3cT
Back