The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #631 of 9,985
OK. I read too much into that one. :wink:

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #633 of 9,985
NP. I edited my original post, as well -- to provide more info regarding Bad Boy and Chrome Dome.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #634 of 9,985
Anyone else using 6J5's or L63's (with adapters) instead of 6SN7's? I have a few and have been really enjoying these tubes. Right up there with the best of the 6SN7's IMO. The UK ones like GEC can be a bit pricey (but still cheaper or on par with other premium 6SN7's) and the US ones like RCA and Raytheon are very good.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #635 of 9,985
Hello everyone. A general question non specific to 6SN7 but still very relevant.
If you had an amplifier that uses a quad of the same valves , say 6SN7 or EL84 etc , 2 for each channel, would you necessarily be looking at buying matched quads, or would you say it is ok or even a good idea to have two matched pairs?
Would the amplifier topology affect this or would there be any safety considerations in the latter case?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts - or being directed somewhere else if you feel this is not a relevant thread
Nik

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #636 of 9,985
Hello everyone. A general question non specific to 6SN7 but still very relevant.
If you had an amplifier that uses a quad of the same valves , say 6SN7 or EL84 etc , 2 for each channel, would you necessarily be looking at buying matched quads, or would you say it is ok or even a good idea to have two matched pairs?
Would the amplifier topology affect this or would there be any safety considerations in the latter case?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts - or being directed somewhere else if you feel this is not a relevant thread
Nik

My opinion is that as long as you have a way of adjusting channel balance then two matched pairs is fine.

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #638 of 9,985
Anyone else using 6J5's or L63's (with adapters) instead of 6SN7's? I have a few and have been really enjoying these tubes. Right up there with the best of the 6SN7's IMO. The UK ones like GEC can be a bit pricey (but still cheaper or on par with other premium 6SN7's) and the US ones like RCA and Raytheon are very good.

I've had a play with quite a few of these, Osram L63's have all the sound of a B65 at only a fraction of the price. Just looks ugly as sin with adaptor :)

Also worth a go are the 6C5 / 6C5G / 6C5 GT. Which are near enough spec wise if you squint at the numbers.

Had really surprising results with the Russian 6S5S / 6C5C, are equivalent to western 6C5 family which are on par with the GEC/MOV L63's for sound quality.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #640 of 9,985
I've had a play with quite a few of these, Osram L63's have all the sound of a B65 at only a fraction of the price. Just looks ugly as sin with adaptor :)

Also worth a go are the 6C5 / 6C5G / 6C5 GT. Which are near enough spec wise if you squint at the numbers.

Had really surprising results with the Russian 6S5S / 6C5C, are equivalent to western 6C5 family which are on par with the GEC/MOV L63's for sound quality.
Agreed that the Osram/GEC L63 sounds very similar to the B65. Can never decide if I prefer these over the ECC32 or vice-versa. They don't look tooooooo bad with adapters :)

Osram L63-908x677.JPG

I have a pair of Brimar 6C5G which are nice as well. I'll have to check out the Russian 6C5C.

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #641 of 9,985
Agreed that the Osram/GEC L63 sounds very similar to the B65. Can never decide if I prefer these over the ECC32 or vice-versa. They don't look tooooooo bad with adapters :)

I have a pair of Brimar 6C5G which are nice as well. I'll have to check out the Russian 6C5C.
Holy BAt AMps!! DUDE!

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #642 of 9,985
I was thinking of posting a picture with 4 6BL7's in adapters where the power tubes are at the rear (two each side), but I think that would be tube overload :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #643 of 9,985
Hey guys the special notes on the first page of this thread has me a little worried about the 6SN7GTA tubes I have coming in.. are they amp specific and/or will they work in place of a regular 6SN7 tube?

6SN7GTA*
- 'Upgrade' of 6SN7GT, max 450Volt Ua, 5W per system and 7.5W total. Hence tube better fulfills special requirements for TV sweep applications, like higher peak power and better impulse capabilities.
If your amp is designed around this tube, you MAY NOT be able to substitute in other 6SN7 versions due to the higher ratings for this tube – check with your manufacturer.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #644 of 9,985
Hey guys the special notes on the first page of this thread has me a little worried about the 6SN7GTA tubes I have coming in.. are they amp specific and/or will they work in place of a regular 6SN7 tube?

6SN7GTA*
- 'Upgrade' of 6SN7GT, max 450Volt Ua, 5W per system and 7.5W total. Hence tube better fulfills special requirements for TV sweep applications, like higher peak power and better impulse capabilities.
If your amp is designed around this tube, you MAY NOT be able to substitute in other 6SN7 versions due to the higher ratings for this tube – check with your manufacturer.

Can use a GTA in place of a regular 6SN7, will likely last slightly longer due to the higher ratings. Using a regular 6SN7 in place of a GTA where the circuit has been designed around the GTA might have some undesired effects though.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #645 of 9,985
So i've played with a NOS vs New Tong-Sol 6SN7GTB for some time and feel that the New outshines the NOS in width and just overall musicality, I'm in know of the high praise for NOS tubes as superior vs New tubes, I'd like to think maybe the NOS tube I have might be past it's prime? And don't feel bad if the NEW is just a better tube in comparison, anyone else feel the same?
2019-06-08 16.55.46-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back