The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #391 of 9,995
Jan 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #393 of 9,995
I suggest to try the new TungSol 6SN7GTB as a driver tube, in my EL34 SET amp it sounds equal or even better than a few NOS I've at hand: Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 bottom getter green label, two pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTB chrome top yellow label, Philips 6SN7 WGTA JAN green label and a new ElectroHarmonix 6SN7.
In my setup of course and I don't have a tester to check if the NOS tubes are really new even if they came from reputable sellers, anyway it means it's a very good tube at a great price.
Burn-in necessary as usual: at first it's a bit compressed, lacks details and bass too slow, then it becomes dynamic, natural and very good in any area.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #397 of 9,995
What about the 7N7 tubes? They are said to be identical electrically to the 6SN7 but with a different pin arrangement. Supposedly a socket adapter will allow using a 7N7 in the Freya. Allegedly they are less popular so there are lots of NOS stock at sane prices...

What are the downsides of using socket adapters? Can they damage the socket? Reduce the sound? Other risks?

Thank you!

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #398 of 9,995
  What about the 7N7 tubes? They are said to be identical electrically to the 6SN7 but with a different pin arrangement. Supposedly a socket adapter will allow using a 7N7 in the Freya. Allegedly they are less popular so there are lots of NOS stock at sane prices...

What are the downsides of using socket adapters? Can they damage the socket? Reduce the sound? Other risks?

Thank you!

If the adapter is well made there shouldn't be much degradation. I have adapters I have made and a couple I have purchased. 7N7 are equivalent with a loctal base. Sylvania made almost all of them. They are a good tube and I have many but I still go back to the 6SN7 tubes with my preference to the 12SN7 types and the 6SN7W. 

Nation Union (NU) also made some in round plate. They are very good, hard to find and the tube in Sylvania or NU should last a long time but I have not had good luck with them over the years. It doesn't make sense but they tend to go noisy for me. Why I don't know as I have tried them in different circuits and know the electrical operating points. They should be superb so I keep trying them. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #400 of 9,995
Hey guys,
I got a pair of NOS Tang Sols V-231s that the seller said were tested and matched. 

I used them a bit in my Freya, after about 6 hours they developed a noticeable, loud hum - I swapped their locations and it went away only to come back after a few hours...  

Are the tubes faulty? Can I fix it somehow? should I return them they weren't cheap...

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #401 of 9,995
  Hey guys,
I got a pair of NOS Tang Sols V-231s that the seller said were tested and matched. 

I used them a bit in my Freya, after about 6 hours they developed a noticeable, loud hum - I swapped their locations and it went away only to come back after a few hours...  

Are the tubes faulty? Can I fix it somehow? should I return them they weren't cheap...

Thanks!

Run them in for 50-70 hours or so. New tubes need burn in to settle down.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #403 of 9,995
Thanks, although theze are tubes from the 50s surely there were burnt in during that time?
Also what about the 2nd law of Entropy? If they humm now, can it really get better with usage? not worse?

If they are indeed NOS and not just tested as NOS they might not have been burned in. Furthermore, some unused tubes are noisy in the beginning due to carbon settlements, and therefore open up and settle after some burn in. Yes if the tubes are past their healthy life they will get worse, but if you are going to use them or return them, the burn in period won't matter so no harm in allowing them that time to work themselves out.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #404 of 9,995
If they are indeed NOS and not just tested as NOS they might not have been burned in. Furthermore, some unused tubes are noisy in the beginning due to carbon settlements, and therefore open up and settle after some burn in. Yes if the tubes are past their healthy life they will get worse, but if you are going to use them or return them, the burn in period won't matter so no harm in allowing them that time to work themselves out.

Cool thank you, I'll give it a go...

What's the worst that can happen? Do tubes blow up? And if it did would it take out my Freya with it? The room?

May sound stupid but I'm a tube noob here... Thanks!

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #405 of 9,995
Cool thank you, I'll give it a go...

What's the worst that can happen? Do tubes blow up? And if it did would it take out my Freya with it? The room?

May sound stupid but I'm a tube noob here... Thanks!

The worst is they'll die and take nothing with them. Dont puncture the tubes etc or break them. Also, dont keep the headphones plugged in or use it as a preamp to speakers during burn in. Occasionally plug in headphones to check on low volume to not transmit bad sound into them. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back