The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #8,056 of 10,048
It'll be fine. Mine is. And I've done worse. Wieslaw gives us a little bit of headroom - just enough to allow for 'experiments'.

But, one thing to remember... never use a single 6BX7 as input with a single 6BX7 output. It's like never crossing the streams in GB or thermionic incest. :k701smile:

That and it doesn't sound as good as 6SN7/pair of 6J5s driving a single 6BX7 output.. Enjoy the 6BX7 as output. One of the best, imo.

Do you have the basic H5 or Miflex?
Been running a Sylvania 6BL7 as the input for majority of the day, and it's quite good. It brings a lot of weight and fullness to the overall sound, especially the mid bass, it really hits hard with this driving the input stage.

Some A/B testing against my two favorite 6SN7 types - Westinghouse 5692 and a tall bottle NU labeled 7N7 with grey plates, instead of the black you typically see (I have a tall bottle marked Philco with black plates and a tall Bottle 7N7 JAN, with what looks like identical internals to 6SN7W (also black plates) - this NU labeled 7N7 with grey plates is significantly better to my ears than both - probably one of my favorite tubes of all time actually) - The 6BL7 gives them both a run for their money

Actually, the 6BL7 as the input gives just about everything I have as far as 6SN7 substitutes a run as well (strapped pentodes such as 6B8G, dual triodes such as EBC33, and the more well known 6C8G/6F8G tubes, etc). If your amp can handle the extra load, I would recommend giving the 6BL7 a try in the 6SN7 input stage. The end sound production is very soothing - I think people would refer the SQ from the 6BL7 as that quintessential "tubey" sound. Super full, warm and extremely pleasing and fun to listen to.

Chain as of now is Aune MK2 tube dac, running a pair of 6G6G tubes -> Eufonika H5/Miflex running Sylvania 6BL7 and Svetlana Winged C 6H13C

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #8,057 of 10,048
Been running a Sylvania 6BL7 as the input for majority of the day, and it's quite good. It brings a lot of weight and fullness to the overall sound, especially the mid bass, it really hits hard with this driving the input stage.

Some A/B testing against my two favorite 6SN7 types - Westinghouse 5692 and a tall bottle NU labeled 7N7 with grey plates, instead of the black you typically see (I have a tall bottle marked Philco with black plates and a tall Bottle 7N7 JAN, with what looks like identical internals to 6SN7W (also black plates) - this NU labeled 7N7 with grey plates is significantly better to my ears than both - probably one of my favorite tubes of all time actually) - The 6BL7 gives them both a run for their money

Actually, the 6BL7 as the input gives just about everything I have as far as 6SN7 substitutes a run as well (strapped pentodes such as 6B8G, dual triodes such as EBC33, and the more well known 6C8G/6F8G tubes, etc). If your amp can handle the extra load, I would recommend giving the 6BL7 a try in the 6SN7 input stage. The end sound production is very soothing - I think people would refer the SQ from the 6BL7 as that quintessential "tubey" sound. Super full, warm and extremely pleasing and fun to listen to.

Chain as of now is Aune MK2 tube dac, running a pair of 6G6G tubes -> Eufonika H5/Miflex running Sylvania 6BL7 and Svetlana Winged C 6H13C
Happy to hear you're enjoying the 6BL7 as a driver, without violating inter-family thermionic rules. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I enjoy the 'Frankie' 7N7s very much in my H5. And the NU 7A4 twins a bit more. For a more visceral vintage presentation, like to roll Mullard ECC31 and Vissseaux 6N7G/GT.

But this is the 6SN7 thread, so must give a warm ear to Melz 1578, TS RP 6SN7, TS VT-99, Syl 6SN7W and Phillips FDD20 (with 12V external heater).

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #8,058 of 10,048

So what do you use for output? H5(M) provides 3A for heaters and 6BL7/6BX7 requires 1,5A. Are you using an external heater psu?

6SN7, 6SN7, 6SN7, 6C8G, 6C8G.........am I forgiven? :rolling_eyes:

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #8,059 of 10,048
So what do you use for output? H5(M) provides 3A for heaters and 6BL7/6BX7 requires 1,5A. Are you using an external heater psu?

6SN7, 6SN7, 6SN7, 6C8G, 6C8G.........am I forgiven? :rolling_eyes:
Nope, just have the 6BL7 in the 6SN7 socket, with 6AS7 as output.

Edit: Might be foolish on my part, but before trying the 6BL7 as input stage, I was running tubes pulling 0.9amps quite a bit - dual 6AJ7 and single 5687. Was just a bit more hesitant to try 6BL7 since as you noted, draws 1.5amps per its datasheet.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #8,061 of 10,048
Nope, just have the 6BL7 in the 6SN7 socket, with 6AS7 as output.

Edit: Might be foolish on my part, but before trying the 6BL7 as input stage, I was running tubes pulling 0.9amps quite a bit - dual 6AJ7 and single 5687. Was just a bit more hesitant to try 6BL7 since as you noted, draws 1.5amps per its datasheet.
Did you try 5687 with 6BL7 as output too? That would be safe.

(This should be in a thread dedicated either to your amp or to the tubes discussed).

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #8,064 of 10,048
Did you try 5687 with 6BL7 as output too? That would be safe.

(This should be in a thread dedicated either to your amp or to the tubes discussed).
Unfortunately (well guess this really depends on how you look at it), a lot of the tubes I roll do not have their own dedicated thread.

The amp I use, suppose it does, but it is hard to beat the knowledge that comes through this thread, and selfishly I wanted my original inquiry that started this discussion to be seen by all the knowledgeable people that come thru this thread, and since it was in regards to 6SN7 substitute, figured it was just the spot! :joy:

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #8,066 of 10,048
My FOTON 6N8S tubes from Ukraine arrived but are stranded at the post office, I must show up in person and sign for them. Thus perceptions of risk, I was willing to risk $17 on an antique item made of glass, shipped by a stranger from a war torn country. He was afraid to have the package left in my mailbox. I am not complaining, it is difficult for people from most countries to understand how safe rural Ohio is. I am humbled by the differences in our circumstances.

These are not grail tubes, I am trying them to see what they may sound like. Let us hope they are undamaged.

Nov 30, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #8,067 of 10,048
That draws 4A from a transformer that is safe for 3A. It probably provides more but I would consult with the manufacturer before going on with the experiment. 6BL/BX7 are good tubes. :wink:
Last thing I am going to add to this, in case anyone comes across this and is looking for the same information in regards to the safety of pulling more amps than the typical 0.6 + 2.5 from the 6SN7 -> 6AS7 Eufonika H5(M), is I spoke with Wieslaw and he said the transformer was designed to handle 3.5 amps. So running the 6BL7 as input with typical 6AS7 is probably pushing the limits of the stock transformer a bit. So, proceed with caution as always!

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #8,068 of 10,048
Last thing I am going to add to this, in case anyone comes across this and is looking for the same information in regards to the safety of pulling more amps than the typical 0.6 + 2.5 from the 6SN7 -> 6AS7 Eufonika H5(M), is I spoke with Wieslaw and he said the transformer was designed to handle 3.5 amps. So running the 6BL7 as input with typical 6AS7 is probably pushing the limits of the stock transformer a bit. So, proceed with caution as always!
Haha, he kept the last .5A to himself when I asked him previously. Can't blame him, he knows how careless tube rollers are. They make their amps burn and then blame the manufacturer :wink: .

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #8,069 of 10,048
Weislaw told me H5 would be fine to run ECC31/32 .9A + 6AS7 2.5A. That's a silly 100mA below 4A. And I often do silly things. Only some most of them I regret.

Received a new (to me) old Syl Gold Brand 6SN7. It's very good. Better than expected for late 50s production. No gold pins, like my GB-6350 or GB-6135s, probably need to make a warranty claim - anyone have a current email for their Gold Brand division? :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back