The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #3,916 of 4,220
@Isaacc7
In review of the picture in the link the tube is Motorola but was known to be Tungsol from the codes on the base. I didn’t see any marking to denote VT94- just the faint 6J5G on the glass. What differentiates a VT94 from a regular 6J5G/GT?
In this case there is no difference. VT-94 is the military part number for a 6J5. Some mil-spec tubes do have construction differences, often extra support rods or different mica structure intended to make the tube more rugged and resistant to vibration based microphonics. The Raytheon 6J5WGT is an example. In many cases, however, there is no difference at all and it's the exact same tube. At most it may have gone through more stringent testing.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #3,917 of 4,220
If you can get a quad of these they are indeed awesome! I will dig out where i got mine from and let you know if you wish, he seemed to be able to get hold of them when I was searching.

IMG_0969.jpegIMG_0968.jpeg
I would expect this tube to sound and perform almost exactly the same as the older coke bottle VT-94A Tung-Sol. If you can get your hands on them for a reasonable price they are definitely a good buy.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #3,918 of 4,220
I would expect this tube to sound and perform almost exactly the same as the older coke bottle VT-94A Tung-Sol. If you can get your hands on them for a reasonable price they are definitely a good buy.
+1 In my experience they do the sound the same as Tung Sol 6J5G ST shape. I’ve made a pair from used / ugly condition singles that sound phenomenal. Get them if you can.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #3,919 of 4,220
I haven’t been able to track down the Tung Sol VT94 yet but a couple of other leads came in today so I thought I’d post one for a little 6J5 detective work. I’ve obviously never seen these but this quad was measured out probably from singles/pairs and I was told they are 1950’s Sylvania made and (get this) Ford and Philco branded. Ford?
Please chime in with any thoughts on these as I’m kind of not knowing what to think. My other option is a quad from two matched up pairs of 50’s Raytheon’s! While I don’t consider these to be very expensive they are definitely NOT free so any advise or opinions would be appreciated.

6j5gtsylvx4.jpeg

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #3,920 of 4,220
I haven’t been able to track down the Tung Sol VT94 yet but a couple of other leads came in today so I thought I’d post one for a little 6J5 detective work. I’ve obviously never seen these but this quad was measured out probably from singles/pairs and I was told they are 1950’s Sylvania made and (get this) Ford and Philco branded. Ford?
Please chime in with any thoughts on these as I’m kind of not knowing what to think. My other option is a quad from two matched up pairs of 50’s Raytheon’s! While I don’t consider these to be very expensive they are definitely NOT free so any advise or opinions would be appreciated.

6j5gtsylvx4.jpeg
I think the Sylvania round plate 6j5 like these are worth having. They are cheap and always give me the Sylvania sound I like. These are the tubes that got me into single triodes. Had been running some of the so called bad boy tubes and these 6j5 were better in just about every way. If you are into “seasoning” your sound I think these are a good spice to have. I‘m also a big fan of Raytheon tubes. My favorite 6f8g are from Raytheon and one of my favorite 12j5 tubes are from them as well. The 6/12j5wgt tubes from them with the support rod do most things well IMO.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #3,921 of 4,220
@Isaacc7
Thanks for that! I’m trying to break down which quads to get so hearing positives helps. I like the Raytheon 6SN7’s I purchased from this seller as well. Here is the quad of Raytheon 6J5’s he’s put together- I hadn’t been aware of the support rod. In these pictures it seems that one pair is different from the other as there is are two curved pieces at the top of the tube.

6j5gtraythx42.jpeg

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #3,922 of 4,220
There seem to be differences between the Raytheon tubes above. One has the scalloped mica near the base of the tube while the others are oblong with smooth edges. All have black plates with two holes/slots per side but only two have the little bent antlers at the top of the supports. Hopefully these aren’t jangling around in the bottom of the other two!

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #3,923 of 4,220
Just bought a quad of these- should be on their way soon

IMG_0805.jpeg

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #3,924 of 4,220
@Isaacc7
Thanks for that! I’m trying to break down which quads to get so hearing positives helps. I like the Raytheon 6SN7’s I purchased from this seller as well. Here is the quad of Raytheon 6J5’s he’s put together- I hadn’t been aware of the support rod. In these pictures it seems that one pair is different from the other as there is are two curved pieces at the top of the tube.

6j5gtraythx42.jpeg
I have one Philips branded 6J5GT with black bakelite base and the same innards as the second one from the left. It has been suggested to me that it is Raytheon made and I have seen other Raytheons looking the same as this metal base tube above. My Philips version has slim copper wires from the glass pinch then connected to the cathode. It also has bottom dimpled foil getter and the base has only 'PHILIPS' and Made in U.S.A. No codes anywhere. The 'clip' on top of mica looks the same as the second from left and so do the micas.

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #3,925 of 4,220
I have one Philips branded 6J5GT with black bakelite base and the same innards as the second one from the left. It has been suggested to me that it is Raytheon made and I have seen other Raytheons looking the same as this metal base tube above. My Philips version has slim copper wires from the glass pinch then connected to the cathode. It also has bottom dimpled foil getter and the base has only 'PHILIPS' and Made in U.S.A. No codes anywhere. The 'clip' on top of mica looks the same as the second from left and so do the micas.
I find all of these small variations interesting and it seems that build practices and techniques varied greatly across production facilities. I wonder if any of these small details affected the performance from one tube to the next or if these “parts” (micas, rod ends etc..) were more just structural in nature?

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #3,926 of 4,220
I wonder if any of these small details affected the performance from one tube to the next or if these “parts” (micas, rod ends etc..) were more just structural in nature?
Impossible to say if differences are due to this or not. But they make it easier to find more tubes of the version you like.

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #3,927 of 4,220

6j5gtsylvx4.jpeg
These tubes were rebranded under many different names, including FoMoCo and Philco.
Metal base, tall tube, the big clip on top and three letters/numbers etched under the logo all identify these Sylvania tubes.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #3,929 of 4,220
Not exactly in @Wes S territory but I’m quitting while I’m ahead. I’ve got 3 usable pairs of 6S5S now. 2 are matched, the third that I put together are from the same period and sound great (even if they are from a different seller and look slightly different, one has a label the other is stamped but internals are identical)

I’ve also got a pair of early Siemens C3G’s on the way, I’ve got high hopes for those as the 2021 Agartha takes a 6SL7 driver, the added gain should work out nicely in this amp

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #3,930 of 4,220
@shwnwllms
Which adapter will you be using with the C3g?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back