The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #3,513 of 4,244
IMG_4034.jpg

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #3,514 of 4,244
Thought I would drop this here in case there might be interest. This is my Lampizator TRP3 dac which is designed for use with pentodes but sporting a quad of old GE 6J5’s for power tubes. The results were very impressive- I’ll definitely be looking for more to try!

IMG_0712.jpeg

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #3,515 of 4,244
Thought I would drop this here in case there might be interest. This is my Lampizator TRP3 dac which is designed for use with pentodes but sporting a quad of old GE 6J5’s for power tubes. The results were very impressive- I’ll definitely be looking for more to try!

IMG_0712.jpeg
So happy you’re trying the metal tubes! Such great deals. GEs don’t have a great rep but it’s always worth trying if they re cheap, glad you like the sound.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #3,516 of 4,244
So happy you’re trying the metal tubes! Such great deals. GEs don’t have a great rep but it’s always worth trying if they re cheap, glad you like the sound.
That’s a good data point- but as I obviously don’t have any reference I’ll not worry too much about it. These were the first quad I came across that looked clean and had (supposedly) close matching numeros. Now that I know that they will work I’ll have to investigate further- not looking for a collection. I do have to say though these are not sounding bad at all!
ps. Have you a “VT-76” in your mountain of tubes?

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #3,517 of 4,244
That’s a good data point- but as I obviously don’t have any reference I’ll not worry too much about it. These were the first quad I came across that looked clean and had (supposedly) close matching numeros. Now that I know that they will work I’ll have to investigate further- not looking for a collection. I do have to say though these are not sounding bad at all!
For metal 6j5 I’d recommend going through a tube dealer. You can probably tell them what companies you want and get quads of them no problem. I wouldn’t worry too much about what people say about the tube’s rep since you are using them very differently than anyone else on this thread probably.

I have never tried a 76. They also seem to be some decent deals once you have the adapter.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #3,518 of 4,244
GE definitely doesn't have a good rep, which I can agree with on many, however, IMHO GE has some great sounding tubes out there that most people probably just disregard completely because of that rep, assuming the tubes will sound bad. Some of my favorite tubes are GE, but on the flip side, some of my worst sounding tubes are also, GE 😅

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #3,519 of 4,244
@g0ldl10n
To your point (as well as mine- being not worried about it) I had looked over many sites prior to just ordering these off eBay and noticed on one site the same GE 6J5 was the 2nd most expensive of those tubes listed.
@Isaacc7 makes a good point here as these are in a dac that is a VERY different circuit than the amps being used here. What’s great about this experience is that it opens up many other tube possibilities for use in the Lampizator!

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #3,521 of 4,244

I'm a big fan of the Type 76, and an even bigger fan of the earlier Type 37. They are definitely on the warmer, tubey end of the spectrum if that is what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #3,522 of 4,244
I'm a big fan of the Type 76, and an even bigger fan of the earlier Type 37. They are definitely on the warmer, tubey end of the spectrum if that is what you're looking for.
I have been tempted to get some of the globe 37 tubes just because they look amazing. The odds of getting 4 quiet ones seem remote though.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #3,523 of 4,244
I have been tempted to get some of the globe 37 tubes just because they look amazing. The odds of getting 4 quiet ones seem remote though.

Yeah, way back in the beginning I bought a grab bag of 37s and one of them was a mesh plate globe. It is the most beautiful tube I've ever seen, and I tried briefly tracking down 3 more but between the noise issues and the cost I quickly lost interest.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #3,524 of 4,244
How would you compare the traits of the Type 76 to the 6J5 from an output perspective? My first impression of the 6J5 was the obvious increase in gain. Not a big deal as my dac is run through my preamp but I’ve noticed there is definitely a “minimum” level that they like to be run at (in my system). Going louder hasn’t seem to be a problem but low level listening brings about an “unevenness” in the upper registers/frequencies which so far has been evident on at least 3 recordings I’ve listened to. Once the volume level is raised this levels out.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #3,525 of 4,244
How would you compare the traits of the Type 76 to the 6J5 from an output perspective? My first impression of the 6J5 was the obvious increase in gain...
Definitely agree. And the 37 has less gain than the 76. For me it actually an advantage because my preferred power tubes in my WA22 are a little hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back