The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #3,496 of 4,244
Very interesting point - when did people start rolling tubes for audio purposes?
Just a guess; maybe when transistors took over. 1950s?1960s?
I doubt it was much of a thing in hifi circles until tube amps became niche pieces of gear. Guitarists had been comparing for quite a while. I isn’t clear to me that regularly available speakers back then were good enough to pick out all the stuff we do now.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #3,497 of 4,244
I thought Raytheon also made 7N7s, or is that just an internet rumor?
I've never run across anything definitive. Most of what I've read points to Sylvania and NU being the only manufacturers with Sylvania making the great majority of them. Although some of that comes from reputable sources, who knows if their version is fact or opinion. The loctal was a very short-lived base style that was only produced for around 10 years. Just never caught on, and as it turns out for good reason. Seeing that flat plate GE makes me question everything, like why would Sylvania change the plate style for such a limited span of production. Maybe Raytheon also produced a 7N7 (as well as the 7A4). Or maybe those plates were used by Sylvania to mate up with remaining stocks of loctal bases when the decision was made to cease production?

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #3,498 of 4,244
I've never run across anything definitive. Most of what I've read points to Sylvania and NU being the only manufacturers with Sylvania making the great majority of them. Although some of that comes from reputable sources, who knows if their version is fact or opinion. The loctal was a very short-lived base style that was only produced for around 10 years. Just never caught on, and as it turns out for good reason. Seeing that flat plate GE makes me question everything, like why would Sylvania change the plate style for such a limited span of production. Maybe Raytheon also produced a 7N7 (as well as the 7A4). Or maybe those plates were used by Sylvania to mate up with remaining stocks of loctal bases when the decision was made to cease production?
Another interesting fact about those specific 7A4 tubes, they are the only ones I have (and have personally seen) that arent missing any pins in the base that arent in use. All 8 pins on the loctal socket are on these tubes, which my guess would be to make it more shock/vibration resistant maybe, which would be in line with the RT 6J5/12J5 WGT series, just as this 7A4 tubes here have the support rod like the WGTs.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #3,499 of 4,244
Another interesting fact about those specific 7A4 tubes, they are the only ones I have (and have personally seen) that arent missing any pins in the base that arent in use. All 8 pins on the loctal socket are on these tubes, which my guess would be to make it more shock/vibration resistant maybe, which would be in line with the RT 6J5/12J5 WGT series, just as this 7A4 tubes here have the support rod like the WGTs.
That's something else I haven't seen in a 7A4 -- 8 pins. I have a couple with (oddly) 7 pins, but the majority of my stash has 6 pins. I'll go out on a WAG here and bet those were probably destined to be 7N7's and got hacked in half somewhere along the way. :smile:

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #3,500 of 4,244
That's something else I haven't seen in a 7A4 -- 8 pins. I have a couple with (oddly) 7 pins, but the majority of my stash has 6 pins. I'll go out on a WAG here and bet those were probably destined to be 7N7's and got hacked in half somewhere along the way. :smile:
Whatever they are, they seem rare enough not to use them, ever... shall stay in my museum as is :joy:

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #3,502 of 4,244
First tubes purchased in a while. Fivre 6c5g black base. Tax stamps say 5/8/40 for whatever that is worth.
IMG_5435.jpeg

These have dimple foil getters and different shield mesh in comparison to my brown base pair. Even the mica spacers are different. Black base has an inverted w shape while the brown base has more of a Euro symbol shape. They tested pretty good as well :)

fivre6c5g1.jpg

fivre6c562.jpg

Also got an “Emerson” 6j5g. Helped that I was rolling the name brand equivalent when I spotted the ad.
IMG_5439.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3,503 of 4,244
So, apologies for not having read all 234 pages!! But i'm looking for thoughts on which 6J5's to treat myself to... Is there a clear and obvious choice out of the following?

If it helps/gives you an idea of what i'm looking for;
i'm mainly looking for decent bass and treble, but with emphasis on midrange and accurate tonal quality for guitars and vocals (both female and male, if that's possible in one pair!?)

The list of current options, but open to suggestions;
Visseaux 6J5G
Tungsol 6J5G
STC 6J5G
Possibly Brimar 6J5G / CV1932
or any of the VT94 range has also piqued my interest.

Any thoughts from the experienced? Cheers
[i'll be running them via adapter in Lyr+ paired with a reference DAC (NJC Audio)]

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #3,505 of 4,244
IMG_0968.jpegIMG_0969.jpegSo, apologies for not having read all 234 pages!! But i'm looking for thoughts on which 6J5's to treat myself to... Is there a clear and obvious choice out of the following?

If it helps/gives you an idea of what i'm looking for;
i'm mainly looking for decent bass and treble, but with emphasis on midrange and accurate tonal quality for guitars and vocals (both female and male, if that's possible in one pair!?)

The list of current options, but open to suggestions;
Visseaux 6J5G
Tungsol 6J5G
STC 6J5G
Possibly Brimar 6J5G / CV1932
or any of the VT94 range has also piqued my interest.

Any thoughts from the experienced? Cheers
[i'll be running them via adapter in Lyr+ paired with a reference DAC (NJC Audio)]
Have a look at this type too.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #3,507 of 4,244
1)TS 6J5G if you only need a pair............... GRAB those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are not easy to find.........
2)STC / Brimar
3)Visseaux if you want a little warmer sound
Cheers - and to others that made suggestions... I went with the Tung-Sols for an accepted offer of 105GBP plus 5 postage... Hopefully i'll like em!!

Amp better arrive pronto (Lyr+), hopefully i can quench my tube thirst soon - been spending a bloody fortune on 'best of the best' tubes in the eager wait for the amp!

Oh well, it's only money - that i haven't got... It's all on credit :fearful:!!! Bloody hobby lol

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #3,508 of 4,244
...hopefully i can quench my tube thirst soon - been spending a bloody fortune on 'best of the best' tubes in the eager wait for the amp! Oh well, it's only money - that i haven't got... It's all on credit
From another thread and with credit to @Nick Ryan, @JazzVinyl:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #3,509 of 4,244
Cheers - and to others that made suggestions... I went with the Tung-Sols for an accepted offer of 105GBP plus 5 postage... Hopefully i'll like em!!
NICE!
The TS 6J5G rarely come up and you did well to snag a pristine pair and for a great price.
I put my TS in the Envy last night (Dave now with a 'new' SJ ARC6 DC4 power supply) and the TS are some wonderful tubes.

They should sound great in your Lyr+!!!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #3,510 of 4,244
NICE!
The TS 6J5G rarely come up and you did well to snag a pristine pair and for a great price.
I put my TS in the Envy last night (Dave now with a 'new' SJ ARC6 DC4 power supply) and the TS are some wonderful tubes.

They should sound great in your Lyr+!!!
Cheers bud, can't wait... Amp hasn't even arrived yet! Soon tho, soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back