The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #3,317 of 4,244
Finally lucked into some more Raytheon 12j5wgt and so have been running them consistently for a couple of weeks. I need to use 4 at a time in my preamp and possibly another 4 in my amp so I had it in the back of my mind to be careful with them until I had spares. Now that I have a good supply I plan on using them quite a bit.

When I use them in my preamp I get a sense of tonal purity along with the detail and expansive frequency range. It's hard for me to put my finger it but they just seem to have a rightness to them. No grain, no obvious extra anything but I feel like more of the instrument is coming through or something. Anyway, I'm happy to have found more for my long term use since they seem to have gotten scarce. Think they will be my primary preamp tube going forward. Getting closer to locking in my tube combos for the long term.
I believe I sold you a few of the NOS military Raytheon 12J5WGT tubes that I had.

I had quite a few at one time.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,318 of 4,244
I believe I sold you a few of the NOS military Raytheon 12J5WGT tubes that I had.

I had quite a few at one time.
Yes you did! I had originally gotten 2 of them a decade or two ago. Of course I need 4 at a time so was kind of stuck. Bought some from you so I could actually use them. Turns out I really liked them, bought some more from you. Once I decided that I wanted them to be one of my regular tubes the sources for them seemed to completely dry up lol. Alls well that ends well though, at least for me:)

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #3,319 of 4,244
It's satisfying when you find "the one" and even more satisfying when it's not the rarest and most expensive tube in its category.
Well, they are one of several lol. But yes, once when they don’t cost much. I own several tubes that are seemingly very rare now but aren’t worth much. Rats! Thought I had a sure fire retirement strategy worked out:)

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #3,320 of 4,244
Finally trying the Brimar 8d2 triode wired in my amp. I have noticed a lot of tubes sound kind of dry when they are used for the first time and these were a classic example. Really had to grit my teeth and allow them to burn in even a little bit. It's only been 5 hours or so and they have improved quite a bit. Initial thoughts are that they are a bit on the warm side with significant bass. Still a bit flat sounding but hopefully they'll open up more in the coming days.

I'm using the same adapter I use for the ktz41 tubes. Wonder if there are any other tubes with the same pin out that I could try.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #3,321 of 4,244
Using the big, old British 7 pin tubes as inputs with the tiny 6aq5 outputs will always be hilarious to me.

IMG_0686.jpeg

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,322 of 4,244
I haven't bought any single triodes in over a year, because I have enough for this life and most of the next. But I saw these ca. 1944 Ken-Rads on sale from India and couldn't help myself.

kenrad_edited.jpg

I know others have had bad experiences with the seller but this is the fifth or sixth time I've bought from them and everything has always gone very smoothly. The tubes are currently burning in in my 300B (speaker) amp and they sound...like Ken-Rads. Very transparent and dynamic, probably not for anyone looking for warm tube yumminess.

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #3,323 of 4,244
I haven't bought any single triodes in over a year, because I have enough for this life and most of the next. But I saw these ca. 1944 Ken-Rads on sale from India and couldn't help myself.

kenrad_edited.jpg

I know others have had bad experiences with the seller but this is the fifth or sixth time I've bought from them and everything has always gone very smoothly. The tubes are currently burning in in my 300B (speaker) amp and they sound...like Ken-Rads. Very transparent and dynamic, probably not for anyone looking for warm tube yumminess.
I also had a few positive purchases and then did a return of a tube back to India. They changed the white tape and number on the base of the tube and sent back the identical tube. I took a photo prior to sending it back and it had hand writing on the internals of the tube and that same tube was shipped back to me. Lesson learned.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #3,325 of 4,244
@g0ldl10n Have you tried the 8d2? It has the same pin out as the ktz41. Have you found any other tubes that could be used with the same adapters?

The 8d2 has smoothed out and no longer has the dry, flat sound as before. Running with CSF 6005 output tubes I am getting a really balanced sound. I think some audiophiles might call it a little boring. I think having some unopinionated tube combos is useful. Solid state guys would say that amplifiers should never have obvious effects on the sound. I like having the option of tailoring the sound but I appreciate an "accurate" presentation from time to time:)

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,326 of 4,244
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #3,327 of 4,244
@g0ldl10n Have you tried the 8d2? It has the same pin out as the ktz41. Have you found any other tubes that could be used with the same adapters?
I have not tried the 8D2 unfortunately.

I never looked that hard - will have to go hunting to see if I can find any tubes which can be used in the same adapter.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #3,328 of 4,244
I have not tried the 8D2 unfortunately.

I never looked that hard - will have to go hunting to see if I can find any tubes which can be used in the same adapter.
I’m not sure how popular that base was. Both the ktz41 and 8d2 are pretty cheap at least lol.

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #3,330 of 4,244
It's Thursday, which is officially 6C5G appreciation day. Having a ton of fun with these Brimar's as of late. They've always been one of my favorite 6C5G. Lusciously smooth yet explosively tactile, immersive head massaging bass experience with the Atrium Closed.

2023-11-02 17.02.33 (Custom).jpg
I'm just starting to burn in my homemade Brimar 6c5 and I agree that they are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back