The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,836 of 4,200
Re-reading the list nwavesailor posted just reminds me how relative all of this is and how it's really all about synergy with your specific gear. For example that list was generated listening to an OTL headphone amp on a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones. At home on a different amp the rankings would move around, and when operating that amp in its speaker output mode they would move around again. And a swap to different output tubes would cause *another* shuffle. The list is also missing a few tubes I've tried since then. I guess my point is don't take the list too seriously. There is truly no best solution that can just live on a list. Perfect example: the Raytheon WGT you mentioned is a new favorite of mine that I would rank highly for myself, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for systems that are already mellow or laid-back sounding.

That said, just generally speaking from the experience I've had so far I would crown the Sylvania 6J5G ST black roundplate the kind of bass. Slams the hardest, has the most presence, and exhibits good tautness and control. You'll notice I don't think all that highly of this tube in my old ranking and that's mostly down to personal preferences, but it's truly excellent at this one thing. For overall resolution I would give it to the Tung-Sol VT94a for macro-detail and the Marconi L63 ST for micro-detail. Again, just generalizations based on the listening I've done in my own gear and from the sampling of tubes I personally own.
Thank you for your response. Sorry didn't see that you responded.

I see what you are saying. Gear synergy makes all the difference. I'll keep an eye out for the Marconi.

Do you find ST versions to sound better than their GT counterparts? They do look nicer :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,837 of 4,200
Thank you for your response. Sorry didn't see that you responded.

I see what you are saying. Gear synergy makes all the difference. I'll keep an eye out for the Marconi.

Do you find ST versions to sound better than their GT counterparts? They do look nicer :)
If the internal construction is the same, I have found that the ST and GT versions tend to be very close in sound. For example I highly doubt I could pick out the difference between a TungSol VT94-A (coke bottle glass) and VT-94D (same guts with straight glass) in a blind test. The ST ones will always cost more because they are the oldest and rarest too. But often times it's less about "better" and more about simply being "different" because there is a generational difference in design and construction technique between the tubes from the 30's and 40's (pre-war) and those from the 50's and 60's. There are great sounding 6J5s across the whole spectrum so it's hard to generalize really.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #2,838 of 4,200
I haven't looked at the 6J5 in years. Pulled them out. Many types of NOS. Even some NOS have the getter flash above the heater but they came that way from the factory. A couple of used ones, that I tried for a few hours so this whole box is really NOS of some old rare stuff. I have some that have an oval plate. I think I liked those the best in the past. Will have to try some with a set of adapters I have for 6J5 to 6SN7.

I some nice metal base round plate Sylvania. I just noticed I put a little later version in with the older green leaf stamped ones. Will have to pull out another older 6J5 Sylvania and replace it. They all match up very well, measuring close in mutual conductance and plate current.

I have a box full of NOS 76 tubes as well. And have the dual adapter for them. Need to try them out. Haven't worked with them for 20 or so years.

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,839 of 4,200
I haven't looked at the 6J5 in years. Pulled them out. Many types of NOS. Even some NOS have the getter flash above the heater but they came that way from the factory. A couple of used ones, that I tried for a few hours so this whole box is really NOS of some old rare stuff. I have some that have an oval plate. I think I liked those the best in the past. Will have to try some with a set of adapters I have for 6J5 to 6SN7.

I some nice metal base round plate Sylvania. I just noticed I put a little later version in with the older green leaf stamped ones. Will have to pull out another older 6J5 Sylvania and replace it. They all match up very well, measuring close in mutual conductance and plate current.

I have a box full of NOS 76 tubes as well. And have the dual adapter for them. Need to try them out. Haven't worked with them for 20 or so years.

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg
I have found that many of the early 6j5g have the same internals as their 76 counterparts. For the most part they sound pretty similar as well. I have had more noisy 76 than 6j5 but admittedly my sample size is pretty small. Are the cardboard roll tubes in your picture gecs?

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #2,841 of 4,200
I have found that many of the early 6j5g have the same internals as their 76 counterparts. For the most part they sound pretty similar as well. I have had more noisy 76 than 6j5 but admittedly my sample size is pretty small. Are the cardboard roll tubes in your picture gecs?
I guess so. I have one marked as GEC. Here are two different European types I have. I looked them up, yes the grey ones are GEC. I have around 12 or so of them in boxes and in the cardboard. NOS. Will have to try them out.

IMG_2457.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #2,842 of 4,200
I guess so. I have one marked as GEC. Here are two different European types I have. I looked them up, yes the grey ones are GEC. I have around 12 or so of them in boxes and in the cardboard. NOS. Will have to try them out.

IMG_2457.jpeg
The one on the right is a Mullard. Both nice tubes :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,843 of 4,200
The one on the right is a Mullard. Both nice tubes :)
Yes, looks like I have about 2 dozen of the GEC but one of the Mullard, which is odd that I have just one. Then some other European types of 6J5. My favorite tube though, of all tubes made is the 1929 to 1932 27 fine mesh plate Sylvania, of which I have NOS. I made a preamp that uses them and nothing can equal the sound.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #2,844 of 4,200
Yes, looks like I have about 2 dozen of the GEC but one of the Mullard, which is odd that I have just one. Then some other European types of 6J5. My favorite tube though, of all tubes made is the 1929 to 1932 27 fine mesh plate Sylvania, of which I have NOS. I made a preamp that uses them and nothing can equal the sound.
Post up some more pics!

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #2,845 of 4,200
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #2,846 of 4,200
Before I order could someone double check me? I’m pretty sure both of these tubes can use the same adapter to triode essentially turning them into a 6c5 or at least pretty close to it.
CV1698 http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa1390.htm
8d2 http://www.r-type.org/exhib/ach0001.htm

The first one has a 3.33v heater and the second a 13v. My amp uses external supplies for the heaters so it can run either one no problem.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #2,847 of 4,200
I have a pair of Philco globe 37 mesh plates and the sound is quite holographic. Unfortunately in my amp they are noisy and seem to pick up interference from any electric device in my house. I need to find some of those Goat shields and see if it helps.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #2,848 of 4,200
I have a pair of Philco globe 37 mesh plates and the sound is quite holographic. Unfortunately in my amp they are noisy and seem to pick up interference from any electric device in my house. I need to find some of those Goat shields and see if it helps.
Yes, some are very microphonic and noisy. Some need a few hours to burn off the gasses, have the getter absorb them and some never get quiet. I found many of my NOS Sylvania are great tubes, no real noise. But I like the fine mesh plate, not the course mesh plate,.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #2,849 of 4,200
Been a while since I purchased any 6J5, but I couldn’t resist these Neotron. Just breaking them in now, but sound great out of the box. Paired with Neotron 6L6.

46A98435-0BDD-489D-BDF5-5DDF317FCC50.jpeg
0A3CC1A6-F9DB-402B-BCA5-934AF8945C0A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back