The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #2,761 of 4,244
...For slightly better prices, might check Langrex L63 stock - The GEC tall GT bottles provide excellent sonics and good value.

Agree. When the GBP melted down in the fall I treated myself to a quad of the GEC "vintage square getter" (I honestly picked them because I like the font) and they haven't been out of my WA22 since they arrived. Better than the "regular" GEC L63 (my previous fav) in every way.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #2,762 of 4,244
I did buy a quad of STC / Brimar from NOS Audio Tubes with shipping included. They sound great and they tested as strong as any 4 6J5G I own!
Langrex has been selling the Brimar for 80GBP for quite a while and are now 65 GBP........... Now THAT'S a deal!

Personally, I was somewhat underwhelmed with the GEC L63 straight bottle but love the ST shape GEC CV1067

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #2,764 of 4,244
Well, an offer I sent to a seller with a pair of brown bases was accepted, so soon I will be able to compare them to the ones with the metal bases I currently own, and will share what I find here.
So, got the pair of the brown base, non-metal 12J5WGT tubes in today and they are testing NOS, which is a delightful surprise :sweat_smile:

Internal construction is actually a bit different - most notably, the square getter up top is significantly smaller on the brown base version, and, it only has a single support rod on, let's call it, the front facing (key facing front) side of the plate, rather than having a support rod on each side like the metal base version. Less notable, would be the 3 additional holes in the bottom mica on the brown base version, and glass being shorter bottle than the metal version (although the plates on each are what appears to be exactly same height). Finally, if you look closely under a light, you would notice that the plates are ever so slightly different, especially in regards to where the two holes on each side of the plates are - the brown base version the plates are significantly smoother/flatter on the top & bottom of each hole, and on the metal base version there seems to be what I can only describe as "tooling marks/imperfections" on the very edge of the plates, up and down it where you can see bare metal under the black plate. On the brown base versions, none of that. The differences in construction are there, although, very similar.

The pair of metal tubes show they were made in 37th week of 1962 (62-37 printed on the bases), however, I am unsure what date the brown bases were made, as their date code is slightly different - simply printed as "2-13" - my initial guess is this mean 13th week of 1952, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Also, the brown bases have the US anchor symbol on them, which I assume means they were intended for the US Navy. Again, correct me if I am wrong here.

Now to the sound comparison - first, each of these versions are easily my favorite two Raytheon tubes I have ever tried - For my taste, I typically find RT tubes a bit thin and dry sounding, but these are not that at all.

Their SQ is similar, as one might expect (similar amount of lows, mids, highs), however, the brown bases imo have more warmth to them, noticeably so, or what people refer to as "tube sounding". The metal bases are more analytical and accurate, where the brown bases are not, but they make all that up and then some in the warm and smooth sound presentation they provide. The soundstage is similar, with the edge going to the brown base version, but not significantly so. If I had to choose just one, I would personally prefer the brown bases over the metal bases, however, both are very good sounding, there is no slouch between the two. I am quite confident there would be others that would find the metal bases with the edge in the precise/accurate/analytical department more pleasing, especially when that does NOT mean solid state sounding, as it still provides that nice warm tube sound in its own right.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the 6J5WGT versions of this tube, so wouldn't be able to confirm if each sound the same between the 6.3v and 12.6v versions, but I would think they would for the most part.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,765 of 4,244
So, got the pair of the brown base, non-metal 12J5WGT tubes in today and they are testing NOS, which is a delightful surprise :sweat_smile:

Internal construction is actually a bit different - most notably, the square getter up top is significantly smaller on the brown base version, and, it only has a single support rod on, let's call it, the front facing (key facing front) side of the plate, rather than having a support rod on each side like the metal base version. Less notable, would be the 3 additional holes in the bottom mica on the brown base version, and glass being shorter bottle than the metal version (although the plates on each are what appears to be exactly same height). Finally, if you look closely under a light, you would notice that the plates are ever so slightly different, especially in regards to where the two holes on each side of the plates are - the brown base version the plates are significantly smoother/flatter on the top & bottom of each hole, and on the metal base version there seems to be what I can only describe as "tooling marks/imperfections" on the very edge of the plates, up and down it where you can see bare metal under the black plate. On the brown base versions, none of that. The differences in construction are there, although, very similar.

The pair of metal tubes show they were made in 37th week of 1962 (62-37 printed on the bases), however, I am unsure what date the brown bases were made, as their date code is slightly different - simply printed as "2-13" - my initial guess is this mean 13th week of 1952, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Also, the brown bases have the US anchor symbol on them, which I assume means they were intended for the US Navy. Again, correct me if I am wrong here.

Now to the sound comparison - first, each of these versions are easily my favorite two Raytheon tubes I have ever tried - For my taste, I typically find RT tubes a bit thin and dry sounding, but these are not that at all.

Their SQ is similar, as one might expect (similar amount of lows, mids, highs), however, the brown bases imo have more warmth to them, noticeably so, or what people refer to as "tube sounding". The metal bases are more analytical and accurate, where the brown bases are not, but they make all that up and then some in the warm and smooth sound presentation they provide. The soundstage is similar, with the edge going to the brown base version, but not significantly so. If I had to choose just one, I would personally prefer the brown bases over the metal bases, however, both are very good sounding, there is no slouch between the two. I am quite confident there would be others that would find the metal bases with the edge in the precise/accurate/analytical department more pleasing, especially when that does NOT mean solid state sounding, as it still provides that nice warm tube sound in its own right.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the 6J5WGT versions of this tube, so wouldn't be able to confirm if each sound the same between the 6.3v and 12.6v versions, but I would think they would for the most part.

I came across a nice size lot of these a couple of years ago. NOS U.S. Navy tubes....great tubes for sure.
DSC05934.jpg

Are these the one's you are speaking of ?

DSC05921.jpg
DSC05924.jpg
DSC05925.jpg
DSC05928.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,766 of 4,244
I have here one 'Mullard Amerty' branded 6J5GT withe the BVA logo and Made in U.S.A. This is made by Ken Rad and has the typical 'R43' in white on the glass pinch. I have several of these tubes, the others branded Brimar and with similar codes on glass pinch, one letter and two digits. Most of them came from a box of 50 spare tubes from a cinema. I also have a few with 'Distributed by Brimar' on the metal skirt. The octagon on these, and the 6J5GT within, is made with slimmer and greyish lines.

This Mullard Amerty 6J5GT has the type designation in pretty fat font in an octagon that is also fat white. On the metal skirt it has the code F1G. The other day I received a pair of 'Mullard Amerty' with 6C4 in a similar fat octagon and font, and code L0G and C1G respectively. This pair was received by the Swedish military December 4, 1952, before Mullard was using Philips code. I wonder if the branding on these three tubes has been made by Mullard or the manufacturer. If by manufacturer, those 6C4 might be made by Ken Rad, if by Mullard they could be made by xxx. These 6C4 has the same black ladder plates as GEC and RCA for example.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #2,767 of 4,244

I really do like the brown base versions quite a bit. Would love to have another quad for posterity. I actually have twin different shades, some of the redder like pictured above and some that are just plain old brown. Haven’t heard any difference. In fact I have mixed them in my preamp at the same time. Don’t tell the audiophile police!

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #2,768 of 4,244
I really do like the brown base versions quite a bit. Would love to have another quad for posterity. I actually have twin different shades, some of the redder like pictured above and some that are just plain old brown. Haven’t heard any difference. In fact I have mixed them in my preamp at the same time. Don’t tell the audiophile police!
Reported! :ksc75smile:

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,770 of 4,244
. (see clarification by @gibosi ⬇️ )

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2,771 of 4,244
332030 is a customer inventory number - likely for IBM, which ordered so many tubes that TS printed the number on the tube base as a customer accommodation / maintenance gesture.

Actually, 322 is the EIA code for Tung-Sol and 030 is 1950, week 30.

https://tubemaze.info/eia-codes-to-id-tubes/

IBM's inventory number, often found on 5998s, is 3002399. And it is often shortened to 2399.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,772 of 4,244
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,775 of 4,244
Got these a few weeks ago. Couldn’t wait and got them straight into the amp, very nice! Finally took them out yesterday and got some pics.

788D109E-28DA-4A64-A76B-159BEF8A8684.jpeg1483034C-9B43-4B9D-979E-B217EDD4C679.jpegD4934660-1054-41E4-8233-A93F40AD57BA.jpeg
I have a pair just like those that I picked up recently as well. Whats the concensus on these? Tung Sol or Sylvania rebrand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back