The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
May 11, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,501 of 4,200
There's a decent chance that Ken-Rad would be the actual manufacturer, but it's difficult to call this one. This would be around the time when GE took ownership of them, but the manufacturing didn't change overnight it happened over time. It would be either Ken-Rad or GE most likely, and looking at some GE tubes to compare for similarities might help shed light on it further.

I don't have a Ken-Rad in my collection yet so I can't give it the ear test. Would be curious to know if they have the same warm bassy sound as the Ken-Rad black glass 6SN7s do.

One thing I've noticed is that the metal bases on the Ken-Rads always look terrible. For some reason they seem more susceptible to corrosion than other 6J5 tubes. Maybe a different grade of material or missing a coating that other manufacturers used?

May 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,502 of 4,200
TungSol? Nope - looks like a Sylvania.

TS 1 A.jpg
TS 1B.jpg

May 11, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,505 of 4,200
Perhaps these are all Raytheon? And not TungSol? I think that's all I have with the US 6J5's.

I have quite a few European 6J5: Sicte, Neotron, Fivre, Visseaux, Mazda and multiple construction variations, but that discussion of "who made who" can wait for another time.

IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6295.jpg
IMG_6296.jpg
IMG_6297.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,507 of 4,200
That getter looks like the one in my 'Brimar'.

The 'Made in USA' or 'Made in England' on the metal bases maybe only tells you where the bases have been made :rolling_eyes:. No fraud then.
A lot of the early tubes manufactured used that type of getter. At least if it has that getter type you can tell the tube is "very old" no matter who manufactured it :)

I'm inclined to think those really are Raytheon in the pictures I posted, as the mica construction at the top is the same as on the larger 6J5G Raytheon tubes. And which is why I think those 6J5G TungSol are really Raytheon, but of course I could be wrong.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,509 of 4,200
This thread just flat out rocks :sunglasses:
There's a decent chance that Ken-Rad would be the actual manufacturer, but it's difficult to call this one. This would be around the time when GE took ownership of them, but the manufacturing didn't change overnight it happened over time.

I don't have a Ken-Rad in my collection yet so I can't give it the ear test. Would be curious to know if they have the same warm bassy sound as the Ken-Rad black glass 6SN7s do.
You are reading my mind....the Ken -Rads are a hole in my collection and if the bass is anything close to similar with the black glass or any Ken Rad staggered plate 6/12 SN7
Then I want a pair or two :)

May 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,511 of 4,200
Perhaps these are all Raytheon? And not TungSol? I think that's all I have with the US 6J5's.

I have quite a few European 6J5: Sicte, Neotron, Fivre, Visseaux, Mazda and multiple construction variations, but that discussion of "who made who" can wait for another time.

IMG_6294.jpgIMG_6295.jpgIMG_6296.jpgIMG_6297.jpgIMG_6301.jpgIMG_6302.jpg
I can't believe you have so many different brandings of the same tube here. I honestly don't know how to call this one anymore. I asserted a few weeks ago that I personally didn't think this Raytheon, but honestly I don't know anymore. I've seen this exact construction style on more than a *dozen* different branding variations now, it may not be possible to actually nail it down.

I will say I was pretty confident that my own Raytheon tubes are Raytheon made. Not 100% but fairly close. They are just more closely aligned with similar construction techniques you can see in many other types of Raytheons from the same period (late 30's).

May 11, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,512 of 4,200
Raytheon? Maybe...

IMG_6307.jpgIMG_6308.jpgIMG_6309.jpg
I actually think this is a real Raytheon GT tube here. They use this mica style in their 6SN7s and others in the late 50's and early 60's, and you can see an extra hole for the optional extra support rod they put in the military spec versions which is a classic Raytheon design element.

May 11, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,513 of 4,200
There's a decent chance that Ken-Rad would be the actual manufacturer, but it's difficult to call this one. This would be around the time when GE took ownership of them, but the manufacturing didn't change overnight it happened over time. It would be either Ken-Rad or GE most likely, and looking at some GE tubes to compare for similarities might help shed light on it further.

One thing I've noticed is that the metal bases on the Ken-Rads always look terrible. For some reason they seem more susceptible to corrosion than other 6J5 tubes. Maybe a different grade of material or missing a coating that other manufacturers used?
It is one of the reasons that I don't own any yet, all the metal bases look like they came from the scrap pile :laughing:
I have seen some with nice test results, just too unpleasing to the eye!
I think you are probably right, bad materials used or something.

I have seen a few 12J5GT Ken Rad , but don't own any.

May 11, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,515 of 4,200
I have the rusty KenRad 6J5s and they have the same bass as their younger brothers.

On an entirely different topic, does anyone have a source for the Zenith 6 or 12j5 that are shown in the Google spreadsheet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back