The Qudelix-5K thread
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #4,697 of 4,753
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #4,698 of 4,753
This thread is massive, any list of the current cases?

I see a 3d printed one, an official tpu one that is 10 bucks with shipping to me that is a 2 piece (is this hard tpu or grippy soft tpu?), and a leather one that is floating around that I heard is not amazing for button feel?

Any thoughts?
It doesn't need the protection, but it might look and feel nicer with a good case. Then again, the big advantage of the 5K is that it's cheap, small, and lightweight; a case might undo all of those advantages.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #4,699 of 4,753
It doesn't need the protection, but it might look and feel nicer with a good case. Then again, the big advantage of the 5K is that it's cheap, small, and lightweight; a case might undo all of those advantages.
I was blown away how light it is compared to the btr5 I normally use. It does look cheap but is built well. I guess it also has a clip where the btr5 required the plastic case to have one.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #4,700 of 4,753
I was blown away how light it is compared to the btr5 I normally use. It does look cheap but is built well. I guess it also has a clip where the btr5 required the plastic case to have one.
A few years back, I burned through a bunch of ~$100 dongles. The 5K looks and feels like those others, but it's far outlasted them.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #4,701 of 4,753
I just hooked up the 5K to the PC and loaded the Qudelix extension. Wow! Really cool.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. Ordered the cable from AliExpress and now I wait...
This hobby is fun but it can also be vexing.

I keep on almost upgrading my amp/dac setup, only to realize at the 11th hour that the product I'm about to buy doesn't have a simple 3.5mm input, which I use with the 5K when working all the time since the USB input from my personal computer to my DAC is inaccessible and it doesn't make sense to run my gaming computer and OLED monitor just to control music, lol.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #4,702 of 4,753
This hobby is fun but it can also be vexing.

I keep on almost upgrading my amp/dac setup, only to realize at the 11th hour that the product I'm about to buy doesn't have a simple 3.5mm input,
If I understand your setup, why not try a simple 3.5mm to RCA cable? You’d have a million more amp options. No need to find an uncommon 3.5mm input.

it doesn't make sense to run my gaming computer and OLED monitor just to control music, lol.
Why not? It’s what I do. Works great.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #4,703 of 4,753
I do not find a case necessary at all.

Thanks for the opinions.
I ordered mine in June 2020 and never saw the point of getting a case for this. Still use the Qudelix 5K all the time when commuting or I want to listen to my IEMs when out and about. A case would just make it bigger and heavier and, in my opinion, is just not necessary for the Qudelix 5K. I know a lot of people complained about this device being made of plastic but it has proven to be very durable for me. I just throw it in my pocket (even with my IEMs still connected when not in use) or clip it to the inside pocket of my jacket and I love how small and light it is. Have gotten the cables stuck in handlebars as I have been running off the train more times than I wish to count or remember but the 5K has held up well to the abuse. I personally prefer this design to something made of glass and shiny metallic pieces that I would worry about breaking or getting scratched.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #4,704 of 4,753
I personally prefer this design to something made of glass and shiny metallic pieces that I would worry about breaking or getting scratched.
So well spoken. +1 for this anytime. This is a tool not a piece of jewelry.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #4,705 of 4,753
I haven't read through 300+ pages but I have a couple of questions.

First, how accurate is the 5K's dBSPL calculator? I know that I do listen to music somewhat loud, but for example, when I punched in the impedance and sensitivity of my Fostex TH-X00, the Qudelix says I'm listening at over 90 dBSPL. I'm playing through Spotify without any pregain or extra loudness settings. To me, this sounds loud and rocking, but not in any way uncomfortable. It is uncomfortable for me at around 100 dBSPL. I'm 37 and have seen my fair share of loud concerts and clubs but any time I've done a hearing test (most recently, last year) I didn't have any abnormal hearing loss.

Also, for some reason I can no longer connect to the Qudelix with the Chrome extension on my PC when I'm using the Qudelix on my phone via Bluetooth. It absolutely used to work. The reverse still works, I can control the Qudelix with the Android app when I'm using it wired on my PC. Any reason for why this has stopped working?

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #4,706 of 4,753
If I understand your setup, why not try a simple 3.5mm to RCA cable? You’d have a million more amp options. No need to find an uncommon 3.5mm input.
My amp has an RCA input, but that's connected to the DAC and I'm not about the constantly plugging and unplugging cables life. And it's situated in a way that makes that difficult anyway.

It also has a 3.5mm input, which I can connect any dongle with a 3.5mm output to easily (what I'm doing now).

So either I need an amp with two separate RCA inputs, a 3.5mm input (what I have now) or multiple USB inputs. Haven't found one.

The real solution is probably getting an amp/dac that also supports Bluetooth with LDAC and I'd be happy to just use that during the day.

As for OLED, to each their own but I'm not gonna put unnecessary hours on it and I'd also be using multiple keyboards at that point to even control the music, lol. Way too much hassle for little benefit.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #4,707 of 4,753
I haven't read through 300+ pages but I have a couple of questions.

First, how accurate is the 5K's dBSPL calculator? I know that I do listen to music somewhat loud, but for example, when I punched in the impedance and sensitivity of my Fostex TH-X00, the Qudelix says I'm listening at over 90 dBSPL. I'm playing through Spotify without any pregain or extra loudness settings. To me, this sounds loud and rocking, but not in any way uncomfortable. It is uncomfortable for me at around 100 dBSPL. I'm 37 and have seen my fair share of loud concerts and clubs but any time I've done a hearing test (most recently, last year) I didn't have any abnormal hearing loss.

Also, for some reason I can no longer connect to the Qudelix with the Chrome extension on my PC when I'm using the Qudelix on my phone via Bluetooth. It absolutely used to work. The reverse still works, I can control the Qudelix with the Android app when I'm using it wired on my PC. Any reason for why this has stopped working?
It's not accurate at all since the calculation doesn't apply any weighting and it normally shows a level way higher than reality.

Just search for A, C or Z weighting to understand what they are and why they're important.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #4,708 of 4,753
It's not accurate at all since the calculation doesn't apply any weighting and it normally shows a level way higher than reality.

Just search for A, C or Z weighting to understand what they are and why they're important.
So, if the Qudelix says 90+ but tends to report higher than reality, then...safe to assume that I'm not listening at dangerous volume? That's all I really want to know!

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #4,709 of 4,753
Showing some love for Q5K+G5 :two_hearts:

24ed5d6cccd6accd9f4751e0caad101772c9df95_2_1380x930.jpeg

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #4,710 of 4,753
I don't use the 5K very often like that, but I just checked playing from my iPhone through BT and controlling (EQ) from the Chrome extension on my PC through USB: no problem (FW 3.0.3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back