The Qudelix-5K thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #4,681 of 4,750
3 pin XLR may not be balanced, so triple check your amp specs before you do anything (or, if it's double XLR I may be wrong).

In terms of BOM you would need:
  • 2.5mm connector
  • 4 wires or 4-wire cable of your preferred length
  • XLR connector (or 2 x XLR if the amp has double XLR input)
Google 3.5mm pinout, solder the wires accordingly and then ensure the wiring on the 2.5mm side is corresponding to what the AMP expects, i.e. L+ to L+, L- to L-, etc. It's a trivial job for anyone with decent soldering skills.
Thank you once again!

Man, Qudelix should make and sell these cables. Im sure quite a few people would want to use the 5k as a dedicated desktop DAC. Would also be cool with the Chrome extension to load different headphone profiles, etc.

However, I may just buy the Topping D10 USB. I would have to pull out the 5k to use portable or buy another one. The d10 with cables would be a little more but it seems to get good reviews.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #4,683 of 4,750
It's a trivial job for anyone with decent soldering skills.
Soldering these 2.5mm connectors is not… that trivial IMO! :sweat:
But I’ll be the first one to admit my soldering skills are poor…

If it were me, I’ll look closely for a ready-made cable: there are severeral on AE (look for cables for Astell&Kern), eBay or elsewhere…

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #4,685 of 4,750
Looks good! The 3.5mm ground plug is a good idea… although I suspect, if anything, it may actually create a ground loop. But it’s always good to have options!

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #4,686 of 4,750
trying to apply 3.03 firmware on android first then on windows via USB. It seems to be getting stuck at rebooting over and over again. As of typing in this latest attempt I'm at around 10 mins of waiting for the reboot to complete (which has never happened on previous updates).

Anyone else experiencing the same or otherwise have any suggestions? is this particular update supposed to take this long to be applied?

EDIT - of course now it decides to update fine after over an hour of trying and then making a public muppet of myself which such a noob question.... carry on...

In my case I tried 3.03 update on Android. 10 minutes later it was still stuck on "Initializing..." with nothing on the progress bar. I cancelled out, then rebooted the Qudelix as the lights were still flashing. When it reconnected it was listed as 3.03... :/ I don't know how close I was to bricking it.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #4,687 of 4,750
Question on the Qudelix 5K. I want to try this as a DAC from my PC. Feeding a Drop + SMSL HO150X amp balanced amp. The connection from the 5K would go into the rear panel XLR's correct?

I suppose I would need a 2.2mm to stereo XLR balanced cable to feed the amp. Where can I get such a thing? Google searches I come up with just headphone cables.
Why not just simplify things and just plug your headphones directly into the Qudelix 5K (and connect the 5K to your PC)? Do you need the SMSL amp in the chain for any specific reason?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #4,688 of 4,750
In my case I tried 3.03 update on Android. 10 minutes later it was still stuck on "Initializing..." with nothing on the progress bar. I cancelled out, then rebooted the Qudelix as the lights were still flashing. When it reconnected it was listed as 3.03... :/ I don't know how close I was to bricking it.
Yeah, the last one I had something similar happen. Had to go back out and back in. all other updates loaded flawlessly.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #4,690 of 4,750
Two words... MORE POWER lol.

Just bought Hifiman HE-6se and they sound awesome but are hard to drive.
Gotcha. Yeah, those are beasts. Good luck.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #4,691 of 4,750
Soldering these 2.5mm connectors is not… that trivial IMO! :sweat:
But I’ll be the first one to admit my soldering skills are poor…

It depends on skill I guess, I've been soldering since I was 12 so I could do it with my eyes closed.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #4,693 of 4,750
Why not just simplify things and just plug your headphones directly into the Qudelix 5K (and connect the 5K to your PC)? Do you need the SMSL amp in the chain for any specific reason?
I just hooked up the 5K to the PC and loaded the Qudelix extension. Wow! Really cool.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. Ordered the cable from AliExpress and now I wait...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #4,694 of 4,750
This thread is massive, any list of the current cases?

I see a 3d printed one, an official tpu one that is 10 bucks with shipping to me that is a 2 piece (is this hard tpu or grippy soft tpu?), and a leather one that is floating around that I heard is not amazing for button feel?

Any thoughts?

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #4,695 of 4,750
This thread is massive, any list of the current cases?

I see a 3d printed one, an official tpu one that is 10 bucks with shipping to me that is a 2 piece (is this hard tpu or grippy soft tpu?), and a leather one that is floating around that I heard is not amazing for button feel?

Any thoughts?
I do not find a case necessary at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back