The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 2, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #4,291 of 4,807
I have been using Fiio X3II since 2015 and i want to buy a DAC this time. I am happy with sound and power but my X3II started to brake down alot and I want a newer and more functional device.

I will buy Q5K probably because it seems like it is the most reliable one (both as product quality and bluetooth connection) and software ( EQ etc.) is superior.

Q5K is gonna cost me around 160$(from amazon.com)

1.) I dont know how is Q5K gonna compare to X3II (SQ and power). I will pay a headphone max 100$ probably. Right now I use Moondrop CHU and ATH M50X. I lsten on between 40/120 and 90/120 volume depending on enviroment and music but mostly 60-75/120
2.) Shangling M0 pro seems like a good device. Seems similar on paper( apart from EQ functionalty etc.) It is 200$ in my country. How does it compare to Q5K (I know one of them is DAC/AMP and other is DAP)

I am trying to choose a device right now. Your help would be appretiated. If you have another device to suggest I will look up.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #4,292 of 4,807
I have spent one hour switching from BTR5 to iFi Hip Dac (Tidal on iPhone and on iPad so I just need to change the headphones jack to one and other). I like the iFi sound more, it is bigger, warmer (booming sometimes with x-bass enabled), more organic, more analog. I do not know which one to buy, the Go Blu or the Qudelix 5K. I have already given away the BTR5 to my teenager daughter and she is quite happy to go wireless with her senns HD598. I could go with the Qudelix for powerful EQ and use hip dac when I want iFi sound, having both options, or I just could buy the Go and enjoy iFi sound always
Did you volume match when comparing?

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #4,294 of 4,807
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4,295 of 4,807
I don’t know if this has been posted already, I apologize if it has. The 5k is on Drop right now, for $89 USD. I spent $150 USD a few months ago shipped+duty from Korea to Canada, I am so frickin tempted to get one more…. How can you go wrong at this price!!! aarrggghhh! If only I didn’t have too many DACs and dongles already…

https://drop.com/buy/qudelix-5k-bluetooth-usb-dac-amp?searchId=469112d3bd972de5b8a21f20099008d9
Always nice to have a spare. Though one inconvenience that might be a dealbreaker for some, is if you have 2 of them paired to the same phone you wont be able to use the app with the second one unless you unpair the first one..

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #4,296 of 4,807
Of course. I have bought the 5K nevertheless
I think you made the right choice. I once listened to the Hip DAC and the Go Blu side by side, and the difference between the two is huge. The Go Blu is not a mini-Hip DAC, it’s much looser and unsophisticated. The 5K definitely sounds cleaner and, with some headphones, a tad sterile, but to me, sound-wise, it’s in a league above. I say this while usually favoring analogue, warm gear. So yeah, good call.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,297 of 4,807
I think you made the right choice. I once listened to the Hip DAC and the Go Blu side by side, and the difference between the two is huge. The Go Blu is not a mini-Hip DAC, it’s much looser and unsophisticated. The 5K definitely sounds cleaner and, with some headphones, a tad sterile, but to me, sound-wise, it’s in a league above. I say this while usually favoring analogue, warm gear. So yeah, good call.
That comparison between Go Blu and Hip Dac is very useful, thanks

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #4,298 of 4,807
Hi Q-folks. I hope some of you are still watching this thread.

I've been having an issue since I've been connecting my Qudelix to my computer, that I do not have when connecting to my phone.

It randomly unpauses Youtube or other videos.

So I'll be watching a Youtube video, then pause it to get up and go make a coffee (for example). While I'm in the other room, the video will randomly start playing again, sometimes within a minute, sometimes even after like 10 seconds, the timing seems random. I can repause using the Qudelix button, but then it will start again after some time.

I'm definitely not accidentally pressing buttons, and if I turn off the Qudelix so that the computer defaults to the next sound device, videos no longer unpause themselves, so I know it is a Qudelix problem.

Any suggestions? Is there some autoplay setting that I am missing?

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,299 of 4,807
Hi Q-folks. I hope some of you are still watching this thread.

I've been having an issue since I've been connecting my Qudelix to my computer, that I do not have when connecting to my phone.

It randomly unpauses Youtube or other videos.

So I'll be watching a Youtube video, then pause it to get up and go make a coffee (for example). While I'm in the other room, the video will randomly start playing again, sometimes within a minute, sometimes even after like 10 seconds, the timing seems random. I can repause using the Qudelix button, but then it will start again after some time.

I'm definitely not accidentally pressing buttons, and if I turn off the Qudelix so that the computer defaults to the next sound device, videos no longer unpause themselves, so I know it is a Qudelix problem.

Any suggestions? Is there some autoplay setting that I am missing?

Thanks!
Oh, I found that it seems to be a problem with the interaction with my phone. The Qudelix is connected to both phone and computer, and so while I'm making my coffee, if I open my phone (I don't need to play any media or anything, just open the phone), the video on my computer will become unpaused.

I guess the short term solution is to not have the phone and computer connected at the same time. It would be nice if this interaction did not occur, however.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #4,300 of 4,807
Oh, I found that it seems to be a problem with the interaction with my phone. The Qudelix is connected to both phone and computer, and so while I'm making my coffee, if I open my phone (I don't need to play any media or anything, just open the phone), the video on my computer will become unpaused.

I guess the short term solution is to not have the phone and computer connected at the same time. It would be nice if this interaction did not occur, however.
Are you connecting the Qudelix to your computer via USB or Bluetooth?

If your Qudelix is connected as wired, try going into the mobile or Chrome app and messing with these functions:

Input section, then Bluetooth tab, then one of the following.
A2DP is the profile for music
HFP is the profile for calls

1696477953861.png

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #4,301 of 4,807
Are you connecting the Qudelix to your computer via USB or Bluetooth?

If your Qudelix is connected as wired, try going into the mobile or Chrome app and messing with these functions:

Input section, then Bluetooth tab, then one of the following.
A2DP is the profile for music
HFP is the profile for calls

1696477953861.png
Thanks for the suggestion.

In this case, the Qudelix is connected to both the computer and phone via bluetooth.

Your suggestion got me poking around a bit in those settings. Top right of the image you sent is a priority tab (although I'm using the phone app, so it's slightly different).
There I can pick between the Input Source Priority. Bluetooth #1 (presumably my phone) was initially set. If I change that to Bluetooth #2 (computer), then opening the phone no longer unpauses videos on the computer. Success!!! ...or so we thought. When it is set to Bluetooth #2, I can no longer hear music from my phone.

It seems to me that, when priority is set to phone, the Qudelix will recognize when music is not playing on the phone, and will allow sound from the computer. But the opposite does not seem to be true. When the computer has priority, Qudelix does not recognize when youtube is paused and allow music from the phone to play.

Well anyways, I think that's a bit off track, so I put it in spoilers. I think having the priority to phone is fine, but the problem is that playback on the phone is pausing and unpausing playback on the computer.

When I played around with it a bit more, I found that whenever I pause sound on the phone, it unpauses on the computer. And unlocking the phone also produces an 'unlocking' sound, so when that sound is finished playing, the computer playback unpauses as well. Basically the end of any sound on the phone unpauses computer playback. It is an undesirable situation.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #4,302 of 4,807
Thanks for the suggestion.

In this case, the Qudelix is connected to both the computer and phone via bluetooth.

Your suggestion got me poking around a bit in those settings. Top right of the image you sent is a priority tab (although I'm using the phone app, so it's slightly different).
There I can pick between the Input Source Priority. Bluetooth #1 (presumably my phone) was initially set. If I change that to Bluetooth #2 (computer), then opening the phone no longer unpauses videos on the computer. Success!!! ...or so we thought. When it is set to Bluetooth #2, I can no longer hear music from my phone.

It seems to me that, when priority is set to phone, the Qudelix will recognize when music is not playing on the phone, and will allow sound from the computer. But the opposite does not seem to be true. When the computer has priority, Qudelix does not recognize when youtube is paused and allow music from the phone to play.

Well anyways, I think that's a bit off track, so I put it in spoilers. I think having the priority to phone is fine, but the problem is that playback on the phone is pausing and unpausing playback on the computer.

When I played around with it a bit more, I found that whenever I pause sound on the phone, it unpauses on the computer. And unlocking the phone also produces an 'unlocking' sound, so when that sound is finished playing, the computer playback unpauses as well. Basically the end of any sound on the phone unpauses computer playback. It is an undesirable situation.
Ah bummer.

I use this with USB since I can charge it when needed, so I'm not of much help here.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #4,303 of 4,807
Ah bummer.

I use this with USB since I can charge it when needed, so I'm not of much help here.
Maybe I'll try using it with USB instead and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the advice!

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4,304 of 4,807
I received my Qudelix 5k yesterday. I am impressed with the app and the size. Not so much with sound. My BTR5 sounds better, less bright and fuller. I have introduced the PEQ by Oratory and some others I found (not the Auto EQ, which I have found poor) and the difference vs non-EQ is big. However the Qudelix sounds fuller using GEQ than PEQ, notoriously, less digital also, on PEQ the sound is very clear, very detailed.... but thin, very thin. I have even introduced the XBass filters that Oratory has to replicate the XBass of iFi, ans still thin. Maybe PEQ is more accurate and true to original source, but it is a lot less engaging, very thin. I have replicated the GEQ on PEQ, exactly same frequencies, same gains, same filters (all are PEAK) and same Q (all are 1.414) and the difference is null, they sound the same, so it is these PEQ that do not sound good to me, even the famous Oratory. I have replicated the GEQ I have on my BTR5 (10 bands) on the GEQ of the Qudelix (20 bands) and still the BTR5 sounds better, fuller, more soundstage

I have briefly tried the USB mode on both the Qudelix and BTR5, and here I see less differences, mainly because on the 5K i can apply EQ and on the BTR5 no. But I will use this amp/dac for bluetooth primarily, for USB I have a Hip Dac that I love

Also, to match volume, both on balanced output/high gain, supossedly both 4V and 240mW, I have to put the Qudelix at 80% of volume and BTR5 at 50%. Same source for both at 100% (PC)

So if I am going to use GEQ, I think I will return the Qudelix and keep the BTR5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back