The Qudelix-5K thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,791 of 4,787
This device does a surprisingly authoritative job driving the HD58X balanced, which is certainly easier to drive than the 650 but not THAT easy. Also makes it easy to level off the sub-bass via EQ.
I prefer BTR3K to BTR5(2020)/BTR3/Q5K/UP2/UP4.
It has the most crispy and natural sound.
…nah, seriously, just play around with the EQ, no need to go looking for silly sinergies

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2,792 of 4,787
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,794 of 4,787
I'm looking to upgrade 5k. I love features, but sound quality is not that satisfying. Anyone here get through this already? I'm looking for something portable as well but with cleaner, more crispy and natural sound. Maybe new BTR5 2021 would be an upgrade?

Got unpleasent news for you 🙂

Tested more than 20 Amps until now and they all sound exactly the same (aside from noise floor, or if impedance dont match, or nonlinear hybrid/tube amp), everything level matched with a switchbox and different headphones (ZMF, Hifiman, Audeze, Sennheiser HD800S detail cannon).

The Qudelix is as good as for example the Questyle Twelve Master, RME ADI-2 DAC FS or GS-X Mini. And if you want the ifi audio xBass Bassboost, you can use oratory's mentioned Low Shelf Q 0.5 Gain 10 54 Hz. Its exactly the same, tested that one as well against signature, go blu and hipdac v2.

So, if you are not satisfied with the sound its not the amp, but your headphone. You need to help yourself with EQ first (try oratory eq, not autoeq, its not the same), try something on your own, or buy a different headphone.

The HD800S with eq applied is for example one of the best i have ever heard regardless of price tag, even though i like it with less treble. Audeze got a bit more Bass and Slam with same Harman Target and Hifiman is still annyoing with treble, but delivers soundstage with height.

Good luck 😊

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,795 of 4,787
I have bad news for you then.

Tested more than 20 Amps until now and they all sound exactly the same (aside from noise floor, or if impedance dont match, or nonlinear hybrid/tube amp), everything level matched with a switchbox and different headphones (ZMF, Hifiman, Audeze, Sennheiser HD800S detail cannon).

The Qudelix is as good as for example the Questyle Twelve Master, RME ADI-2 DAC FS or GS-X Mini. And if you want the ifi audio xBass Bassboost, you can use oratory's mentioned Low Shelf Q 0.5 Gain 10 54 Hz. Its exactly the same, tested that one as well against signature, go blu and hipdac v2.

So, if you are not satisfied with the sound its not the amp, but your headphone. You need to help yourself with EQ first (try oratory eq, not autoeq, its not the same), try something on your own, or buy a different headphone.

The HD800S with eq applied is for example one of the best i have ever heard regardless of price tag, even though i like it with less treble. Audeze got a bit more Bass and Slam with same Harman Target and Hifiman is still annyoing with treble, but delivers soundstage with height.

Good luck 😊
Just because devices measure identically, doesn't mean they sound identically. All amp/dacs measure sufficiently flat, yet they do have their own sound signatures.
Q5K sounds somewhat analytical - EQ can't fix that. For a more crispy and natural sound, people need to look elsewhere.
Of course, differentiating between them would require a sufficiently transparent headphone too.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,796 of 4,787
Who knows where to get the 5k in germany ?

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,797 of 4,787
Just got a Lotoo OTG lightning cable for my Qudelix and I am having a hard time with usb dac mode. It works, but it jumps between usb and bluetooth mode constantly even with usb priority selected. So the usb dac output comes and goes every other second…

Edit: It also looks like every time i change app from apple music or spotify the sound is paused and usb output disapears.. Works correctly in usb dac mode on Macbook.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,798 of 4,787
Just because devices measure identically, doesn't mean they sound identically. All amp/dacs measure sufficiently flat, yet they do have their own sound signatures.
Q5K sounds somewhat analytical - EQ can't fix that. For a more crispy and natural sound, people need to look elsewhere.
Of course, differentiating between them would require a sufficiently transparent headphone too.
Did you read my post? I have to ask, sorry, since i was writing about a switch box and level matched comparisons with very expensive cans. I was not writing about measurements.

Pretty much all ss amps i have tested, deliver the same sound, you can even recreate xBass from ifi, its all math and science, amps are not products from a fantasy world.

If someone dont like the sound with the Qudelix, its the headphone or daily performance because of stress, not the amp.

So i have actually tested this stuff myself and some people as well in an objective manner and personally i dont know more detailed cans than HD800s, Hifimans or Focal Clear 🙂

@Cevisi

bought it from amazon, came from usa. I believe you could buy from poland or so as well? Not sure if its stored or still coming from usa in that case.

Attachments

• E40D80D8-84F5-4B31-A390-B814A73603AD.jpeg
    E40D80D8-84F5-4B31-A390-B814A73603AD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • CA15AE15-2140-4B3E-B964-EE725787ECE3.jpeg
    CA15AE15-2140-4B3E-B964-EE725787ECE3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 40704BBB-BFA1-4E86-942A-9D4D9E40E990.jpeg
    40704BBB-BFA1-4E86-942A-9D4D9E40E990.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,801 of 4,787
Did you read my post? I have to ask, sorry, since i was writing about a switch box and level matched comparisons with very expensive cans. I was not writing about measurements.

Pretty much all ss amps i have tested, deliver the same sound, you can even recreate xBass from ifi, its all math and science, amps are not products from a fantasy world.

If someone dont like the sound with the Qudelix, its the headphone or daily performance because of stress, not the amp.

So i have actually tested this stuff myself and some people as well in an objective manner and personally i dont know more detailed cans than HD800s, Hifimans or Focal Clear 🙂

@Cevisi

bought it from amazon, came from usa. I believe you could buy from poland or so as well? Not sure if its stored or still coming from usa in that case.
I was trying to play around with EQ a bit but it is not that easy. I understand it overall but nothing I'm doing, brings me to satisfying level.
I base this on Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen. Mainly I power them with IEMagni and Modi 3+ and they sounds heavenly. All the details, crispness connects perfectly with this overwhelming tuning of this cans. There is detail and there is powerful background. My problem with 5k is i don't feel that satisfying separation. Everything sounds bit thinner.
Maybe you are right about cans. I know it is 'only' 32ohm HP but you can tell that they scale greatly when you apply higher volume. And everyone, even on this forum wrote that the better power/source supply, the better they sound. So here is why i consider upgrading Qudelix.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #2,803 of 4,787
@sspkt

good morning. I know, this is what most people think, but it's not based on objective testing, or how tech works since everything is build on science :)

I can tell you with 100% confidence, that its wrong, unless there is something wrong with the device or match. Biggest problem is the brain. For example, you could eat a cheap or expensive cheese product. In some cases, the content is the same, but the package is completely different, which leads to a more satisfying experience, because your brain is telling you, that it's more delicious. This is why probably almost every marketing team is using that against us everywhere, not only in audio.

But, the point is, even if you know and you have tested this and you are sure there is no difference, this feeling may not go away depending on your personality and past experience. Which ultimate leads to the question, why not just buying something, that gives a more satisfying experience, regardless if it's more useful or not, technically, but for the experience itself.

I know that this might be an important thing for many users and i am okay with that. In the end its important to use something that works for you, even if you don't need that :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,804 of 4,787
Seriously, all solid state amps sounds the same? People pay hundreds and thousands of dollars for ss amps for no reason - since they all sound the same?
Granted, more expensive ones aren't necessarily better - my point is that people pay to get the sound they want.

I've tested Q5K vs other BT adapters on more than one day, and I only used the headphones I like - what would be the point to use the headphones I don't like?

...Biggest problem is the brain. For example, you could eat a cheap or expensive cheese product. In some cases, the content is the same, but the package is completely different, which leads to a more satisfying experience, because your brain is telling you, that it's more delicious. This is why probably almost every marketing team is using that against us everywhere, not only in audio.
In some cases, the same product may be simply repackaged - but we usually know that (store brand vs brand name), and the difference between "cheap" and "expensive" product won't be too big.
Ask somebody to help you do a blind test - they should buy your favorite type of cheese. Once at 3$/lb, and once at 15$/lb, then place both on a plate (no packaging in sight).
See if they'll taste the same to you :jecklinsmile:
Anyway, it' s pretty clear that the discussed amps aren't the same amp, simply repackaged.

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #2,805 of 4,787
Is anyone using their 5k in car audio? Is it even possible to connect smartphone -> q5 -> car audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back