The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,461 of 4,750
Hey all, got a working 5K this time. Connected to iPhone via the Lotoo USBC/Lightning cable. It functions fine as a cable-connected DAC-amp, but:
-- I've noticed the audio suddenly switches to bluetooth if I'm switching apps in the iPhone. It's jarring. Any way to keep it on Lightning/USB audio only?
-- Should I have the iPhone's volume maxed out, and adjust the volume on the Qudelix through the app?
-- Sound is a little sharp compared to my Modi/IEmagni stack. Is this normal?

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,462 of 4,750
Hey all, got a working 5K this time. Connected to iPhone via the Lotoo USBC/Lightning cable. It functions fine as a cable-connected DAC-amp, but:
-- I've noticed the audio suddenly switches to bluetooth if I'm switching apps in the iPhone. It's jarring. Any way to keep it on Lightning/USB audio only?
-- Should I have the iPhone's volume maxed out, and adjust the volume on the Qudelix through the app?
-- Sound is a little sharp compared to my Modi/IEmagni stack. Is this normal?
Cant help you with the last two questions but have you looked at the settings in the Qudelix 5K app (I know there are a lot)? Under the priority menu, there should be an option to select USB DAC as priority. Is that checked?

I dont have IOS but here is what it looks like in the Android app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-123528.png
    Screenshot_20210708-123528.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,463 of 4,750
Cant help you with the last two questions but have you looked at the settings in the Qudelix 5K app (I know there are a lot)? Under the priority menu, there should be an option to select USB DAC as priority. Is that checked?

I dont have IOS but here is what it looks like in the Android app.
@Bimbleton that

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,464 of 4,750
I am the guy that wrote that they sound muddy but on the qudelix forum.

After some tinkering with the GEQ i was quite disappointed because i was unable to get rid of the massive muddy sub bass. Turns out GEQ is not powerful enough and when i switched over to PEQ the page turned and now its a different story. I have never come across a pair of headphones or IEMs that respond this well to EQ. I have been playing around with it for about two days now and i can tailor the sound character however i like as it seems.
The transient response is very impressive for "a" DD and they have a very big sound, like standing in front of a massive speaker on a festival that just washes your whole body in sound.

I cant really decide if this a fun toy or a real hit. Its a fun toy but they do still surprise me with their performance over and over again.
The fit for me is perfect. They just slide in and sit very secure. No pressure, no hotspots with medium included tips. They do stick out a little bit and i think in the winter time with a hat/beanie it would put some pressure on the IEM toward the ear.
Just wondering your line 10 PEQ setting?

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,465 of 4,750
Qudelix has linked a post giving the QX-over's FR, together with PEQ filters for Harman 2019 and Oratory 1990 targets.
https://www.0db.co.kr/FREE/1960645

As it stands, the QX-over is very V shaped and EQ is almost mandatory. The question is how does it sound once EQ is properly done? If you have it, please try and report back.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,466 of 4,750
Qudelix has linked a post giving the QX-over's FR, together with PEQ filters for Harman 2019 and Oratory 1990 targets.

As it stands, the QX-over is very V shaped and EQ is almost mandatory. The question is how does it sound once EQ is properly done? If you have it, please try and report back.
I'm trying these settings with QX-over now set at 25% and they sound good but I'm listening to music that I've never listened to before. Sounds rich and has good depth and instrument separation.

1. Harman in ear 2019 target

Qudelix QX over ie2019.png

Preamp: -3.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 29 Hz Gain -7.0 dB Q 0.11
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 654 Hz Gain 3.3 dB Q 0.94
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1089 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 1.76
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2424 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 3.96
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2425 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 1.60
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2729 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 5.83

I'll try the others but LMK which settings are preferred?

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,467 of 4,750

You can’t listen to a graph. Qudelix were reluctant to share FR, with good reason. The QX-Over sound excellent without EQ, the bass is big but the treble isn’t boosted and the mids are extremely present, so not a V shape.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,468 of 4,750
Received and listened to QX-over yesterday. For my taste, the bass is a bit boomy and the treble extension could have been better. But for the $30 price tag, it is a pretty decent IEM on its own but by not meant able to compete with mid to upper tier IEM. *Tested with no EQ applied.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #2,469 of 4,750
You can’t listen to a graph. Qudelix were reluctant to share FR, with good reason. The QX-Over sound excellent without EQ, the bass is big but the treble isn’t boosted and the mids are extremely present, so not a V shape.
Measured FR graphs are an indication, they are a starting point to EQ. I'd use the suggested filters, listen and proceed from there to fine tune EQ to my ears. If you're happy with the tonality as is, good for you.

QUDELIX itself shared those graphs. Check out the Qudelix.com

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,470 of 4,750
I tried ask 3 of them, and only the Harman is remotely listenable for me. Crin's is so off to my ears that I'm not even going to try tweaking. But I am going to play with the first one a bit and see if I like it. I have a couple of EQ settings already that were a good start. I'm liking these a lot. Are they TOTL? Heck, no. But they are really enjoyable to listen to, and hopefully Q comes up with some evolutions.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #2,471 of 4,750
Does anyone know what the third EQ setting says after "crinacle"? My Google translate isn't working on it. Right before that, it says it's oratory's target, so I'm not sure why it mentions crin after that. I'll be trying all 3 tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,473 of 4,750
I'm trying these settings with QX-over now set at 25% and they sound good but I'm listening to music that I've never listened to before. Sounds rich and has good depth and instrument separation.

1. Harman in ear 2019 target

Qudelix QX over ie2019.png

Preamp: -3.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 29 Hz Gain -7.0 dB Q 0.11
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 654 Hz Gain 3.3 dB Q 0.94
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1089 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 1.76
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2424 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 3.96
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2425 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 1.60
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2729 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 5.83

I'll try the others but LMK which settings are preferred?

So I was pretty good calling it out as reminding me of the Sony Mh750.

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,474 of 4,750
I tried ask 3 of them, and only the Harman is remotely listenable for me. Crin's is so off to my ears that I'm not even going to try tweaking. But I am going to play with the first one a bit and see if I like it. I have a couple of EQ settings already that were a good start. I'm liking these a lot. Are they TOTL? Heck, no. But they are really enjoyable to listen to, and hopefully Q comes up with some evolutions.
Crinacle's tonality goal is the IEF Target which boosts trebles, but less than Harman, and has a flat region from 1khz down. What you see in the chart is perhaps similar to Oratory 1990? You could follow that, and use Harman 2019 for the bass side from 100hz down if more bass is preferred.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2,475 of 4,750
Does anyone know what the third EQ setting says after "crinacle"? My Google translate isn't working on it. Right before that, it says it's oratory's target, so I'm not sure why it mentions crin after that. I'll be trying all 3 tomorrow night, looking forward to it.
Google translate says "is this same as Crin's IEF?"

BTW, Qudelix has sent a sample QX-over to Oratory1990 for review. Look forward to his measurements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back