The Qudelix-5K thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #2,161 of 4,753
The hilarious part is I can set it to 44.1k and it sticks but it has to be 24bit ! It's cool though, with BT I'd rather have it set to 44.1 than the android auto of 48 which makes no sense.

I'd like to try UAPP but the trial is 20 minutes ...
You used to be able to just keep re-starting UAPP Trail version, and get another 20 minutes each start... That was a few years ago; but may still be the same?

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #2,162 of 4,753
The hilarious part is I can set it to 44.1k and it sticks but it has to be 24bit ! It's cool though, with BT I'd rather have it set to 44.1 than the android auto of 48 which makes no sense.

If you have Qobuz or Tidal, UAPP is great. I bought it and it worked much better than the Qobuz app and was bitperfect. Was totally worth its cost for me.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #2,163 of 4,753
Thanks, and what volume you set on the 5K? Max? at high gain?
Just under max on my source and enough enough volume on the Q5K to run whichever amp I am using at about the 10 o' Clock position at my normal listening level. The 5K with it's crossfeed capability makes an ideal pre-amp.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,164 of 4,753
Just curious what is UAPP and why is it good?

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2,166 of 4,753
Is there any word on any options to remap the buttons? I really like this device but I hate the double click to skip track. I would greatly prefer 1 click to skip and have play/pause on another button.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,167 of 4,753
Deleted

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #2,168 of 4,753
Apr 26, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #2,169 of 4,753
Got my Qudelix 5K today to compare it to my iFi hip-dac. I intend to use the Qudelix 5K mainly with USB, an Apple Camera Connector and an iPhone 12, just like I do with so all of my early comparisons are wired, not Bluetooth. It's the only fair way to compare both.

-- First, you can't beat the size of the Qudelix. This thing is tiny. It's not as small as the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro I recently sold, but it's much smaller than my hip-dac.

-- Solid construction. Buttons are solid. Decent cables. Can't match the metal housing, metal buttons and brass volume dial of the hip-dac, though.

-- I HATE the button layout on the Qudelix. Unintuitive as hell. Crap design. Tough to increase and decrease volume from the unit. I end up using the app more than anything. I know people say you get used to it, but a proper design wouldn't require acclimation time. The simple buttons and brass volume knob on the hip-dac are MILES more intuitive and tactile.

-- Is there some way to turn off the flashing lights on the buttons from within the app? God, I hope so. The thing looks like a cross between an ambulance and a volunteer fire vehicle when you use it. Annoying as hell.

-- The Qudelix app is excellent. A tinkerer's delight. So many options and measurements. The built-in parametric EQ is such a magical feature, making it easy to apply EQ measurements from Oratory or Crinacle.

-- The Qudelix has less power than I expected. It has about the same output as the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro in low and high gain. I need to run my iPhone 12 at full volume and my HiFiMan HE-400se International at about 80 percent volume on the Qudelix to get sufficient volume. I have my Sennheiser HD 560s at about 70 percent on the Qudelix. I can run the HE-400se at 50 percent and the HD 560s at 40 percent on the hip-dac. The hip-dac clearly has more juice, which is good for the future if I get more power-hungry cans.

-- Now for the big one: Sound. First I must divulge that I'm very treble-sensitive. I have pretty severe tinnitus, so I notice grainy and hot treble almost instantly. I'm far from a basshead, but I prefer a slightly warm sound signature with a bit of rolled-off treble because of my tinnitus. The treble of the Qudelix is just too piercing and hot for me without EQ. It's just too fatiguing for my ears. With Oratory's EQ for my HD 560s, it's better, but it almost feels somewhat veiled and flat. The hip-dac definitely is warmer and a bit rolled off in the highs, but that's perfect for me. There's just a richness to the hip-dac sound that I prefer, too. It's not bloated, as I don't use the bass boost on it. But it's more rich, more musical. The hip-dac pulls me more into my music. I think the imaging and soundstage on both units is very similar; I give a slight edge in detail to the Qudelix.

Very early days. I need to do more testing. I can see why so many people like the Qudelix. I think it blows away the Sonata HD Pro despite being twice the price because of the balanced and unbalanced connections, better build quality, Bluetooth and the great app. It's a killer portable USB and Bluetooth DAC-amp for a lot of people.

But the hip-dac sounds better for me right now. It's like the difference between Nike and Adidas. Both make damn good athletic shoes. But Nikes just fit some people's feet better than Adidas, yet some people's feet feel like they were made for Adidas. That's how the hip-dac sounds for me right now -- it's made for me and my cans.

Again, early days. I still need to test the Qudelix with my Meze 99 Classics and Moondrop Starfield.

Maybe my ears will adjust to the hotter treble of the Qudelix. Maybe not. More impressions if my opinion or sonic analysis changes.

Holler with any questions! Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #2,170 of 4,753
OK, more testing complete. My ears are adjusting to the sound of the Qudelix 5K. It’s growing on me.

Plus I’m surprised how good the Bluetooth sounds on this, even with AAC through an iPhone. My old ears can’t tell a huge difference from wired. Yeah, the quality isn't as good as wired. But it's not a massive step backward.

Add this plus to all of the mega cool features in the app, such as DAC filters, and the decision between the Qudelix and the hip-dac is getting harder and harder by the song.

Nice problem to have!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,171 of 4,753
Got my Qudelix 5K today to compare it to my iFi hip-dac. I intend to use the Qudelix 5K mainly with USB, an Apple Camera Connector and an iPhone 12, just like I do with so all of my early comparisons are wired, not Bluetooth. It's the only fair way to compare both.

-- First, you can't beat the size of the Qudelix. This thing is tiny. It's not as small as the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro I recently sold, but it's much smaller than my hip-dac.

-- Solid construction. Buttons are solid. Decent cables. Can't match the metal housing, metal buttons and brass volume dial of the hip-dac, though.

-- I HATE the button layout on the Qudelix. Unintuitive as hell. Crap design. Tough to increase and decrease volume from the unit. I end up using the app more than anything. I know people say you get used to it, but a proper design wouldn't require acclimation time. The simple buttons and brass volume knob on the hip-dac are MILES more intuitive and tactile.

-- Is there some way to turn off the flashing lights on the buttons from within the app? God, I hope so. The thing looks like a cross between an ambulance and a volunteer fire vehicle when you use it. Annoying as hell.

-- The Qudelix app is excellent. A tinkerer's delight. So many options and measurements. The built-in parametric EQ is such a magical feature, making it easy to apply EQ measurements from Oratory or Crinacle.

-- The Qudelix has less power than I expected. It has about the same output as the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro in low and high gain. I need to run my iPhone 12 at full volume and my HiFiMan HE-400se International at about 80 percent volume on the Qudelix to get sufficient volume. I have my Sennheiser HD 560s at about 70 percent on the Qudelix. I can run the HE-400se at 50 percent and the HD 560s at 40 percent on the hip-dac. The hip-dac clearly has more juice, which is good for the future if I get more power-hungry cans.

-- Now for the big one: Sound. First I must divulge that I'm very treble-sensitive. I have pretty severe tinnitus, so I notice grainy and hot treble almost instantly. I'm far from a basshead, but I prefer a slightly warm sound signature with a bit of rolled-off treble because of my tinnitus. The treble of the Qudelix is just too piercing and hot for me without EQ. It's just too fatiguing for my ears. With Oratory's EQ for my HD 560s, it's better, but it almost feels somewhat veiled and flat. The hip-dac definitely is warmer and a bit rolled off in the highs, but that's perfect for me. There's just a richness to the hip-dac sound that I prefer, too. It's not bloated, as I don't use the bass boost on it. But it's more rich, more musical. The hip-dac pulls me more into my music. I think the imaging and soundstage on both units is very similar; I give a slight edge in detail to the Qudelix.

Very early days. I need to do more testing. I can see why so many people like the Qudelix. I think it blows away the Sonata HD Pro despite being twice the price because of the balanced and unbalanced connections, better build quality, Bluetooth and the great app. It's a killer portable USB and Bluetooth DAC-amp for a lot of people.

But the hip-dac sounds better for me right now. It's like the difference between Nike and Adidas. Both make damn good athletic shoes. But Nikes just fit some people's feet better than Adidas, yet some people's feet feel like they were made for Adidas. That's how the hip-dac sounds for me right now -- it's made for me and my cans.

Again, early days. I still need to test the Qudelix with my Meze 99 Classics and Moondrop Starfield.

Maybe my ears will adjust to the hotter treble of the Qudelix. Maybe not. More impressions if my opinion or sonic analysis changes.

Holler with any questions! Thanks.

I have the opposite problem of you. I love the button setup on the qudelix and it's bluetooth is noticeably more consistent with less stutter or dropouts compared to the es100. My problem is do I want absolute convenience and slightly lesser sound or good ole warm AKM in my ears. <-- that sounded funny. oh well.

It was odd reading your mini review. Comparing a very portable convenient wireless solution you can hide on your body disconnecting your wires from your phone to a portable d/amp. I settled for micro usb connectionon a Topping NX4 with ESS 9038, instead wanting the 2.5x more expensive Fiio Q5s-Type C with AKM dac. The Qudelix is slightly bright to my ears with more detail than the warm es100 but the Topping while not warm or bright is very very smooth and pulls much more detail than both the previously mentioned. The NX4 is so good I have foregone convenience lately and honestly it isn't the honeymoon thing either. I seriously thought about getting the hip dac but that battery drain yo. The NX4 is so overwhelmingly good I haven't tried the parametric EQ to tune the brightness down and I don't think it will get rid of the granular sound. But to each their own. Glad you're happy with both.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,172 of 4,753
Qudelix 5k is an amazing device. I have no complaints. I've had tons of amps/dacs much more expensive. This little person sounds nice. I don't have issue with the button layout and the app is great. Only thing I'd change is a better graph for the battery monitor that's easier to read. My eyes are way worse than my ears ! With the 3DT and 5k I'm happy.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2,173 of 4,753
The attached screenshot from the Qudelix app (I am on Android) may help. This was a new feature that they added recently. I have never bothered trying it myself but please let us know your thoughts if you try it out.
I’ve been using this feature and it’s legit insofar as it locks the LDAC transmit to 44.1kHz at 909 Kbps. I’m using a Pixel 4 and trusting what the Qudelix app tells me - no playing around in Developer Settings. I also have 5K Absolute Volume Control toggled on in the app which “always keeps and guarantees the full precision audio stream over Bluetooth or USB”. I play files at max volume on my phone and control the output levels on the Q5k itself. Sounds fantastic and comparable to wired audio, for sure. I cannot verify their claims of improved battery life as I was getting 7 hours before and it’s still 7 hours after toggling on this feature (balanced output, standard profile, low gain).
I don’t know for sure why your phone keeps reverting to 24-bit for LDAC; it seems Android not only upsamples all LDAC playback to 96kHz by default but also pads bits to 24. Thankfully those empty bits should be harmless audio-wise and shouldn’t degrade connection stability since they are empty. Upsampling 44.1 to 96 is where the problem lies, wrong multiple means approximation. I don’t know whether Android itself is doing the upsampling, using the same terrible algorithm that ruins regular FLAC by guessing how 44.1kHz content would sound if it had been produced as 48kHz, or if LDAC is involved in the upsampling, in which case it’s at least optimized for audio.
I agree with this, 24 bit streaming from your phone to your Q5k should not affect your listening experience at all when playing back 16 bit source files, which most are. I also have some 24 bit source files which I’ve been playing via the Q5k and there’s no magical difference in audio quality at all because they’re still 44.1kHz files. I do tend to agree that upsampling should be avoided where possible, which is why I used the toggle in the Qudelix app to keep it locked to 44.1, and this might be as close to bit perfect as you can get over bluetooth

For those chasing bit perfect mobile audio, you can try out the HiByMusic app. It has an option called Exclusive HQ USB audio access which it claims does the same thing as UAPP - bypass the Android internal mixer and output bit perfect to your connected DAC. I have this toggled on for when I connect my USB-C headphone dongle to my phone. It’s an excellent free audio player in any case and I use it on all my devices. That said, I’ve never tried UAPP, so I wouldn’t know what I’m missing!

Several months on, I’m still excited to use my Q5k! It truly feels like a budget step into HiFi territory!

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,174 of 4,753
Spot on @nangJuice you've said it all in that post. I listen to mostly 16/44.1 files and just let ldac set it to 24bit and lock it at 44.1 I have a few 24/96 files and others I just set it accordingly for those.

I will try hibymusic app eventually but I've been straight up happy and impressed with the ldac performance.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,175 of 4,753
So I am a Linux and Android user and would like to consider this as a side grade to my ES100. I am wonder with the USB connection does it present the mic input to the host? Or does that only work on bluetooth? Anyone using it for a mini dac with another amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back