The Qudelix-5K thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,176 of 4,753
So I am a Linux and Android user and would like to consider this as a side grade to my ES100. I am wonder with the USB connection does it present the mic input to the host? Or does that only work on bluetooth? Anyone using it for a mini dac with another amp?
Never mind I found it on a Qudelix forum. Psychic'd to get this... If anyone has exp with Linux of note that would be good to hear about still.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,177 of 4,753
Hi! I have three questions concerning the 5K:

1. Does it have multi device pairing?
2. Are the red and blue lights always on while using the device or only when pressing the buttons?
3. How good is the ambient mode?

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2,178 of 4,753
Hi! I have three questions concerning the 5K:

1. Does it have multi device pairing?
2. Are the red and blue lights always on while using the device or only when pressing the buttons?
3. How good is the ambient mode?

Thanks!
1. Yes you can choose which one has priority
2. lights are adjustable (i lowered to about 5). This was in one of their early firmware updates. Before then they were way too bright.
3. I personally dont use the mic at all as I feel it doesnt cancel any noise and picks up everything, including when you touch or move the 5K.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,179 of 4,753
1. Yes you can choose which one has priority
2. lights are adjustable (i lowered to about 5). This was in one of their early firmware updates. Before then they were way too bright.
3. I personally dont use the mic at all as I feel it doesnt cancel any noise and picks up everything, including when you touch or move the 5K.
Thank you for your reply! :)

1. But it can be connected to two devices at the same time, right?
2. But are the lights always on? Or only when you press the buttons?
3. By ambient mode I meant not noice cancelling but transparency mode, meaning the surrounding sounds (cars etc.) can be heard. Does it sound any natural with the 5k?

Thanks again! :):beerchug:

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #2,180 of 4,753

3. By ambient mode I meant not noice cancelling but transparency mode, meaning the surrounding sounds (cars etc.) can be heard. Does it sound any natural with the 5k?

1. Yes it has multipoint. You can select which device you want to have priority in the app.
2. There is an option to turn off LED.
3. I understand what ambient is but it will also pick up the sound of the 5K bumping against something else or if your clothing rubs against it. You will also hear noises when you touch it, button clicks, etc.. I found it annoying but maybe it will work for you. Ambient works much better in TWS dont come into contact with anything else. I may be spoiled by TWS but just trying to set expectations.

Attached are screenshots that might be helpful. If I recall correctly, you can download the app and explore it as well even if you dont have a 5K.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-173947.png
    Screenshot_20210428-173947.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210428-174020.png
    Screenshot_20210428-174020.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210428-174439.png
    Screenshot_20210428-174439.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #2,181 of 4,753
1. Yes it has multipoint. You can select which device you want to have priority in the app.
2. There is an option to turn off LED.
3. I understand what ambient is but it will also pick up the sound of the 5K bumping against something else or if your clothing rubs against it. You will also hear noises when you touch it, button clicks, etc.. I found it annoying but maybe it will work for you. Ambient works much better in TWS dont come into contact with anything else. I may be spoiled by TWS but just trying to set expectations.

Attached are screenshots that might be helpful. If I recall correctly, you can download the app and explore it as well even if you dont have a 5K.
Thanks a lot for this really helpful post!!! 😆

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #2,182 of 4,753
Thanks a lot for this really helpful post!!! 😆
About the multipoint, I use my 5K with an Avantree DG80 USB transmitter and Apple TV. While the DG80 is always somehow hogging the connection and defeats other receivers like the FiiO BTR5, the 5K allows me to give priority to the Apple TV, such that when the ATV is outputting audio, the 5K automatically switches to it. Not possible with the BTR5, which remains stuck on the DG80. IOW, the 5K works great for this. It could however be improved by showing the device names in the app, but once you set it up, it just works.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,183 of 4,753

2. No, the lights are not always on. I thought they were in my initial impressions, but they do turn off after a bit if buttons aren't pressed.

Unsolicited opinion that mirrors other comments in this thread: The Qudelix app is FANTASTIC.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,184 of 4,753
2. No, the lights are not always on. I thought they were in my initial impressions, but they do turn off after a bit if buttons aren't pressed.

Unsolicited opinion that mirrors other comments in this thread: The Qudelix app is FANTASTIC.
Already made my order! 😆👍Think it will replace my BTR5. Because I HATE the Fiio App. Loved BTR5`s build quality though...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,185 of 4,753
Quick update in my testing of the Qudelix 5K compared to my iFi hip-dac for sound only, not features.

I just don't think the bright, slightly thin sound of the Sabre DAC in the Qudelix is for me. I'm far from a basshead, but I do like a richer, slightly warmer sound than what the Qudelix is providing me. The Burr-Brown DAC chip in my hip-dac just seems to be a perfect sonic match for my daily drivers, the HiFiMan HE-400se International.

The Qudelix is such a cool device. I would recommend it in a SECOND to anyone looking for a Bluetooth DAC/amp and who likes a brighter sound signature. The bright Sabre DAC in the Qudelix does balance the bassy, warm sound of my Meze 99 Classics better than the warmer Burr-Brown DAC in the hip-dac.

But since I'm probably selling my 99 Classics and sticking with the HE-400se as my daily drivers, the hip-dac sounds like a better match to my cans and ears.

A bit more testing to come today and this weekend ...

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,186 of 4,753
So I have a Sony sound bar that can act as a Bluetooth transmitter. I can pair and connect the Qudelix 5k to it but no sound gets transmitted from the sound bar to the 5k. Any idea what's up? What am I doing wrong?

I can connect my Galaxy buds to the sound bar and everything works there...

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,187 of 4,753
I just don't think the bright, slightly thin sound of the Sabre DAC in the Qudelix is for me. I'm far from a basshead, but I do like a richer, slightly warmer sound than what the Qudelix is providing me. The Burr-Brown DAC chip in my hip-dac just seems to be a perfect sonic match for my daily drivers, the HiFiMan HE-400se International.

The Qudelix is such a cool device. I would recommend it in a SECOND to anyone looking for a Bluetooth DAC/amp and who likes a brighter sound signature. The bright Sabre DAC in the Qudelix does balance the bassy, warm sound of my Meze 99 Classics better than the warmer Burr-Brown DAC in the hip-dac.

I'd appreciate comments from others in this regard. I had the ES100 for quite a while until it broke, but I really loved it's sound. Since then I've been using the Fiio BTR3K and have been surprisingly satisfied with it. However, I've always assumed that I'd end up with the 5K (does the damn thing ever go on sale?), but I'm not really looking for a "brighter sound". What do others feel about the SQ versus the ES100?

Fwiw, the ES100 and BTR3K, as well as my desktop Grace SDAC, all have AK DACS, so I'm not that familiar with the Sabre DAC.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #2,188 of 4,753
I got tired of my Btr-5 crashing so I bought the Qudelix. I agree with people saying the Qudelix is brighter sounding. This worked out perfect for me because it pairs nicely with my LCD-X (2021 version) which needed just a tiny bit more bump in the upper mids and treble. I was going to use the EQ but found I don't need to now.

May 1, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,190 of 4,753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back