The Qudelix-5K thread
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,071 of 4,753
Sorry if this already has been addressed in here, but does anyone know of a USB C-to-Lightning cable that's MiFi (Apple) certified that will work with the Qudelix 5K when attached to an iPhone?

I want to avoid the Apple Camera Connector if possible. Have done that with other dongles, and it's pretty damn unwieldy, especially for portable use. My TempoTec Sonata HD Pro came with an excellent USB C-to-Lightning cable, but I may return that unit -- which is damn good -- if the Qudelix works even better for me. I expect it to, with more power, balanced input, Bluetooth and built-in parametric EQ.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,072 of 4,753
Sorry if this already has been addressed in here, but does anyone know of a USB C-to-Lightning cable that's MiFi (Apple) certified that will work with the Qudelix 5K when attached to an iPhone?

I want to avoid the Apple Camera Connector if possible. Have done that with other dongles, and it's pretty damn unwieldy, especially for portable use. My TempoTec Sonata HD Pro came with an excellent USB C-to-Lightning cable, but I may return that unit -- which is damn good -- if the Qudelix works even better for me. I expect it to, with more power, balanced input, Bluetooth and built-in parametric EQ.

Thanks.

This one is reported to work on the Qudelix forums:

https://shop.musicteck.com/products/lotoo-paw-s1-type-c-to-lightning-cable?variant=31940316168254

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #2,073 of 4,753
Side tone questions for telephony (not VOIP)

1. is there a perceptible latency?

2. is the sidetone volume adjustable separately from the volume setting? I want to be able to adjust the sideetone volume independently of the volume for the other person in a call.

3. what is the cable noise folks are referring to? I would think the remedy would be a cloth-lines cable.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,074 of 4,753
Yeah, I was really surprised by how excellent the mic is on the Qudelix, really didn't expect that. I no longer use TWS on calls due to the improved mic quality into the Qudelix and the excellent mic pass through.

It's probably hard to demonstrate the mic pass through in a video but basically think of the 'ambient mode' most BT headphone or TWS go through when you make a call that also pipes through your voice into the headphone so you can kind of determine if you're screaming or not and how typically weird, laggy and just unnatural that sounds - the Qudelix has almost no lag and sounds FAR more natural.
Is the sidetone volume independently adjustable from the sound of the other person or audio source not from the microphone?

any latency?

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,075 of 4,753
Is the sidetone volume independently adjustable from the sound of the other person or audio source not from the microphone?

any latency?
I havent tried sidetone but found the mic to be too sensitive and noisy. The mic picks up everything. If you are planning to use this for important calls, I would suggest considering a dedicated set of TWS (APP or Galaxy Buds Live/Pro for example) or just a wired inline mic for that. I found it picked up too much background noise for calls and some people did mention they could not hear me clearly. No such issues/complaints with my Galaxy Buds Live. I use my 5K for music but, for calls, I switch to my Galaxy Buds Live (they are used almost exclusively for calls).

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,076 of 4,753
I havent tried sidetone but found the mic to be too sensitive and noisy. The mic picks up everything. If you are planning to use this for important calls, I would suggest considering a dedicated set of TWS (APP or Galaxy Buds Live/Pro for example) or just a wired inline mic for that. I found it picked up too much background noise for calls and some people did mention they could not hear me clearly. No such issues/complaints with my Galaxy Buds Live. I use my 5K for music but, for calls, I switch to my Galaxy Buds Live (they are used almost exclusively for calls).
Oh well....

my search for wireless sidetone telephony with a wired headphone input continues.....

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,078 of 4,753
poDvH5taj

Bought it in Jan and this has been my daily driver
LDAC support is good and Qudelix provide regular firmware update

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,079 of 4,753
God a question regarding it's BT LDAC connection stability. I've got a BTR5 now and I'm experiencing many hiccups/cutouts in certain conditions - particularly sports. for example, if I keep my smartphone in one pocket, and the BTR5 in the other, and I'm going for a run/biking, probably due to the constant movement betweent the 2 devices, I get a lot of cutouts.

Is the Qudelix 5K more stable than the BTR5? Has anyone had both and can say which one holds a more stable LDAC bt connection?

Thank you!

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,080 of 4,753
God a question regarding it's BT LDAC connection stability. I've got a BTR5 now and I'm experiencing many hiccups/cutouts in certain conditions - particularly sports. for example, if I keep my smartphone in one pocket, and the BTR5 in the other, and I'm going for a run/biking, probably due to the constant movement betweent the 2 devices, I get a lot of cutouts.

Is the Qudelix 5K more stable than the BTR5? Has anyone had both and can say which one holds a more stable LDAC bt connection?

Thank you!
Yes, the 5K seems more stable to me, with fewer signal dropouts. I find the BTR5 to behave better if both the BTR5 and phone are on the same side of my body - phone in back pocket and btr5 in the front pocket on same side, whereas the 5K can be worn on on opposite sides of my body.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,081 of 4,753
Yes, the 5K seems more stable to me, with fewer signal dropouts. I find the BTR5 to behave better if both the BTR5 and phone are on the same side of my body - phone in back pocket and btr5 in the front pocket on same side, whereas the 5K can be worn on on opposite sides of my body.
One of the things that reduce bluetooth signal strength is water... Since body is a high percentage of water, bluetooth signals get reduced going through your body. (Or a group of people in a room...if sending across that room.) That's one reason why having both devices on same side of body helps. Also, the 5K has better antenna than most BT Receivers; which gives better reception.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,082 of 4,753

Thank you!
I cannot compare with the BTR5 that I don’t have, but I have used the 5K extensively in the gym and can report LDAC connection is extremely solid, up to several meters away from the phone, whichever side of my body faces it and the amount of (sometimes sweaty) obstacles in the way. It may be better to select Best Effort to ensure consistent signal, but when I check the app (the 5K app reports the transmission rate in real time), it rarely ever drops below 660 and even then just for short bouts.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,083 of 4,753

Thank you!
I had to return my BTR5 due to the BT connection instability (weirdly, the ONLY place I could get a reliable connection was in the car, where it was solid, even when surrounded my many other cars, some of whom presumably have BT devices).
The Qudelix has proven to have much better BT stability for me, and is rarely problematic. The SQ may be even better than the Fiio too, and I also find the controls of the Qudelix to be easier to locate and operate without looking, or with gloves on/through clothing.
I did find the Fiio to be the better looking device, but that position reverses as soon as you put the BTR5 in the included clip, or handle it without gloves, when it instantly looks as though a sticky fingered child has got his paws on it (arguably accurate in my case).
Even without the PEQ, and Qudelix's attention to updates I consider the 5K to be the clearly superior product, and that's no small feat, given how good the BTR5 is.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,085 of 4,753
Hi KaiSc,

Thank you, your setting on the PEQ work very well for me, I was wondering the “(insert damping is -0.3dB @ 1KHz)” mean? How do I go about setting it at the PEQ Page?

Regards Wayne
For your perspective:
I am a professional audio engineer for several decades now, are used to listen a bit above what an average person would find comfortable during my all day work.
My audiologist says I have ears like an owl :)

I am currently listening to the Sennheiser HD-800S, connected balanced to the Qudelix 5K.

My settings:
iPhone6Plus iOS12.4.8 Tidal Master, Standard Loudness: Off
-> USB
-> Qudelix 5K, Firmware 1.3.2
-> 2.5mm balanced connection
-> Sennheiser HD-800S

Qudelix 5K:
EQ Options:
EQ TYPE: PEQ
HEADROOM: -12dB

EQUALIZER:
LSHELV, 115Hz, +4dB, Q: 0.700
PEAK, 220Hz, -1.0dB, Q: 0.350
(insert damping is -0.3dB @ 1kHz)

VOLUME OPTIONS:
Absolute Volume: On
Volume Protection: Off

VOLUME MAIN:
0.00dB / -17.5dB (max. = +6dB!)
PERFORMANCE 4V

This setting of 35.8dB total attenuation, on my calibrated Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153 measurement system, results in:
79.0dB SPL @1 kHz
90,8 dB SPL @ 6.6kHz.

With PEQ off, Volume to +6dB
(= maximum, 35.8dB above my listening level),
I get a clean, undistorted:
114.8dB SPL @ 1kHz,
126.5 dB SPL @ 6.6kHz

I'm listening to some softer chamber music Jazz from Tidal Master right now, and the resulting loudness equals about the loudness of a normal talking voice.

Hard to believe someone can stand 35.8dB more level without hearing damage.
Headphones can be dangerous to your ears, people tend to miss the tactile "feel of sound" and listen way too loud to compensate.

126dB SPL PERMANENTLY damages your ears within minutes!
This is no joke:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/loud.html
"At 100 dBA, NIOSH recommends less than 15 minutes of exposure per day."

They don't even give a recommended exposure time above 100dB SPL level, probably because there is non.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back