The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 20, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #1,066 of 4,753
Just an update on this and a big THANK YOU to Qudelix support for their follow through and help! They were able to get a V60 and troubleshoot my issue. Qudelix support has been amazingly responsive and so far I am very impressed with both the device and customer support. I am including their response below in case anyone else runs into a similar issue. Turns out you have to disable aptX Adaptive, forget the 5K in bluetooth settings and pair it again with aptX Adaptive still off (in that order) or else it keeps connecting again with aptX Adaptive. I am now enjoying LDAC 990 (and get the "Best sound quality" option for Connection Type in Bluetooth settings now). The connection with the V60 is fantastic. From Qudelix (in response to my post on their official forum):

"We finally got the LG V60 in our hands.

As we checked, it seems LG V60 remembers the connected device supported codec list.

Please follow the steps below.

5K App --> Codec --> Remove/Uncheck aptX Adaptive
Reboot 5K.
Remove/Forget the 5K out of V60 paired device list.
Repair 5K to the V60.

Then, you will see the LDAC HD Audio option in Bluetooth paired device setting."
That's interesting — what did you think of aptX Adaptive sound quality?

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #1,067 of 4,753
That's interesting — what did you think of aptX Adaptive sound quality?

LDAC sounds better to me. AptX Adaptive worked well but it sounded off to me compared to LDAC or wired, which is why I was looking into it in the first place. The sample rate seems to get limited to 48 khz with aptX Adaptive, which is what I think I was hearing (I mostly listen to Qobuz). If you need low latency, I can see where people would prefer aptX Adaptive but I mostly just listen to music so don't really care about latency. It just sounded like aptX to me in comparison (although I did not spend much time with it since I have just been using my S9, which did not have an issue with LDAC). I have to admit, I did think it was pretty cool when aptX Adaptive popped up on my V60 though since the 5K and V60 are my first devices with the new codec.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,068 of 4,753
Basically aptX Adaptive is just aptX HD with dynamic scaling, allows its resolution to drop to near aptX LL level in order to improve stability when it detects interference. It is not supposed to sound better than aptX HD.

Jul 20, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,069 of 4,753
I can’t get my MacBook Pro to work @aptx

It’s just AAC or SBS

I tried the Terminal commands but it hasn’t worked. It can do it.

Boring.

May try again.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,071 of 4,753
I can’t get my MacBook Pro to work @aptx

It’s just AAC or SBS

I tried the Terminal commands but it hasn’t worked. It can do it.

Boring.

May try again.

OK did it via Developer tools and this guide: https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/31/mac-how-to-force-aptx-aac-on-your-supported-bluetooth-headphones/

I am using my Sony 507 DAP less these day in lockdown. But I use my laptop for work and I like music while I work..
Here is the q5K @ AptX Macbook

I am a LDAC fan but am willing to finally concede that the effect of working 30 years in music studios on my hearing makes AptX 'acceptable' sometimes.

I can use LDAC when walking around with my DAP.
Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 16.03.30.png

I am also using @ClieOS's magnet trick! (I lose everything so bought a pack of them for £6 from amazon) THANKS for the shared tip!

4335AE6D-B7AE-4D23-B535-39D4013A7B7A.jpeg
6D12792B-781A-4CDA-B249-08F4A9554C97.jpeg

And must again thank & compliment @ClieOS on his custom cable making - this is a short 2.5mm balanced to 2 pin (arrived just yesterday)

I am using Empire Ear Nemesis CIEMS with the Q5K (no hiss issues)
(I have a pair of Etymotic ER4XR's with custom Snugs ear molds but I find with Etymotic's my footsteps sound like thunder in my ears and so does any tap on the cable)

I might use the Etymotic ER4XR's as an at the computer set... and the Empire ears as a 'move around' set..

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,073 of 4,753
Whats is PEQ?

Parametric?

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,074 of 4,753
I am using my Q5k connected to my TV's bluetooth while exercising on my rowing machine.:gs1000smile:

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,075 of 4,753
How does it compare to Dragonfly Cobalt? I'm thinking about replacing my DFC with Quedelix-5K or Fiio BTR5 for convenience purposes and use it with Campfire Andromeda.
I will use it mostly as USB DAC with PC and as Bluetooth DAC with a mobile phone.

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,076 of 4,753
How does it compare to Dragonfly Cobalt? I'm thinking about replacing my DFC with Quedelix-5K or Fiio BTR5 for convenience purposes and use it with Campfire Andromeda.
I will use it mostly as USB DAC with PC and as Bluetooth DAC with a mobile phone.
If you dont care about EQ, I prefer my DFC by a large margin for SQ with my SE846. I have an ES100 (now just a bluetooth LDAC receiver for my Denon) and 5K as well for the convenience of bluetooth. Have not heard the BTR5 but I think the 5K sounds better than the ES100. They have different features and use cases for me. I use both the Cobalt and 5K almost everyday.

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,077 of 4,753
If you dont care about EQ, I prefer my DFC by a large margin for SQ with my SE846. I have an ES100 (now just a bluetooth LDAC receiver for my Denon) and 5K as well for the convenience of bluetooth. Have not heard the BTR5 but I think the 5K sounds better than the ES100. They have different features and use cases for me. I use both the Cobalt and 5K almost everyday.

What do you mean by "SQ"? I prefer to have one device that I can carry over with me, and have the same sound everywhere. I am also considering Fiio Q5s as an option and possible upgrade in comparison to DFC.

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,078 of 4,753
What do you mean by "SQ"? I prefer to have one device that I can carry over with me, and have the same sound everywhere. I am also considering Fiio Q5s as an option and possible upgrade in comparison to DFC.
By SQ, I mean sound quality. They are just different devices so iif you want only one device, it sounds like you need to decide if you want bluetooth or not. As a USB DAC, I prefer the DFC over the 5K. To me the DFC has better dynamics, separation and a bit of a wider soundstage. That said, I dont think it is an apples to apples comparison as the DFC is designed to be only a USB DAC and costs almost 3x more. It also pairs well with my IEMs. Also, you dont mention what your sources are but if you need MQA, I dont think the 5K does MQA (I dont use Tidal so dont really care about MQA but others might).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back