The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 21, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #811 of 4,815
I'm dumb lol, I actually didn't notice it until you just pointed it out to me. That will definitely help.

Gotta love that BTR5 price drop to match the 5K haha.
Question... why do you think the BTR5 price dropped “to match“ the 5K...? Has the 5K availability on various commerce platforms / volume gotten to the point where it is seen as a competitor by FiiO? Just asking... lots of reasons for price drops, including reacting to market saturation (everyone willing to buy it at the higher price has purchased and now they look for increasing customer base from demand and price elasticity), cost improvements in manufacturing, clearing stock in advance of / creating pricing room for a new offering, and, yes, competition...

I should also mention that when I purchased my BTR5 in December it was the same price as I recently paid for the Qudelix 5K... so not sure what you mean...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #812 of 4,815
Got mine in the U.K. (any annoyingly also got hit with a £30 charge from fedex for import taxes)

having fun listening to music again and playing with settings, does anyone have any recommendations with regard to “best sounding” settings?

looks like my ES100 might be getting sold or donated to family!

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #813 of 4,815
You probably don't know that BTR5 is only about $100~115 if your ordered it from Taobao, and that's how much it was priced since it was first launched about a year ago. When I got mine (first batch), it was $100.

Oh I didn't know that! So I'm guessing it's just the middle man mark up that is being brought down in Amazon.

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #814 of 4,815
Question... why do you think the BTR5 price dropped “to match“ the 5K...? Has the 5K availability on various commerce platforms / volume gotten to the point where it is seen as a competitor by FiiO? Just asking... lots of reasons for price drops, including reacting to market saturation (everyone willing to buy it at the higher price has purchased and now they look for increasing customer base from demand and price elasticity), cost improvements in manufacturing, clearing stock in advance of / creating pricing room for a new offering, and, yes, competition...

I should also mention that when I purchased my BTR5 in December it was the same price as I recently paid for the Qudelix 5K... so not sure what you mean...

I'm only going off what I personally saw. When I first saw the device on amazon about 2 weeks ago it was around 115$ and then a few days later it jumped up to 130$. Less than 48 hours after 5k release the price is now the same 109$ as the 5k. I wont' say it's impossible that there was another reason but if it looks like a duck, talks like a duck...... seem like a pretty damn big coincidence to me. Not that there is anything wrong with a lower price lol. It's only interesting to me because I almost bought the BTR5 for 130 like a day before the 5k started to ship.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #815 of 4,815
Since Qudelix are refusing to provide an output impedance value for the 5K, can I ask anyone who's received a unit to do a quick approximate measurement?

This is an important value when used with headphones with low, varying input impedance with frequency, like multi-driver balanced-armature IEMs, as it can adversely affect frequency response if too high. It's a relatively easy measurement to make.

You need: 60 Hz sine wave test signal, digital multimeter, dummy load (e.g. cheap 30 ohm resistor).

Measure the voltage unloaded and with dummy load.

Calculate: Zout = (Rload * (Vnoload - Vload)) / Vload

Example: We measure 1V unloaded, 0.9V loaded and our dummy load is 30 ohm ==> (30 * (1 - 0.9)) / 0.9 = 3.33 ohm output impedance at 60 Hz.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #816 of 4,815
I'm only going off what I personally saw. When I first saw the device on amazon about 2 weeks ago it was around 115$ and then a few days later it jumped up to 130$. Less than 48 hours after 5k release the price is now the same 109$ as the 5k. I wont' say it's impossible that there was another reason but if it looks like a duck, talks like a duck...... seem like a pretty damn big coincidence to me. Not that there is anything wrong with a lower price lol. It's only interesting to me because I almost bought the BTR5 for 130 like a day before the 5k started to ship.
Yeah, if you go through the BTR5 thread you will see people commenting that the BTR5 went up in price for a while when they were both in high demand and in short supply. Seems supply and demand have equalized to bring it back to its original price, more or less.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #817 of 4,815
Since Qudelix are refusing to provide an output impedance value for the 5K, can I ask anyone who's received a unit to do a quick approximate measurement?

Unless QudeliX purposely add resistors onto the output of ES9218P (which I don't think they have nor needed to), the typical output impedance of the chip is about 1 ohm or less (or about 2 ohm or less for balanced).

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #818 of 4,815
Fellow owners; have I have it plugged in via USB and it's sounding sweet. However, as soon as I plug in the 5K via USB or hold down the power-on button the 5K immediately goes into Bluetooth pair mode. The DAC will function fine, but eventually turns off after no new Bluetooth device is paired.

Is there a way to turn it on without it immediately jumping into bluetooth pairing mode?

UPDATE:
Okay, so I think I've worked it out.
I had to pair my iPhone through Bluetooth and that stopped the 5K entering pairing mode every time it turned on. My guess is that it needed to have at least 1 Bluetooth connection in memory? Or at least, something like that makes sense seeing as it is primarily a Bluetooth receiver.

Confusingly, there is now 3 different Bluetooth pairings for the device. I will try to explain them as I think it works.
  1. When the 5K is on and in range of the Qudelix app paired device (iPhone), it will appear in the Bluetooth paired menu, but without the ⓘ next to it. This appears even if you're not paired for iOS Bluetooth output.
    Another way of thinking about this is that it will also be there if you're just using it as a USB DAC. Essentially, once you've paired your 5K with your primary controlling device, this is always available.
  2. The second case is once you've paired your device and now have 2x Qudelix-5K appearing in the Bluetooth pairing iOS pairing menu. This is a good thing. One is so you can control the software side of it (above). The other, is so iOS can stream it's output to the 5K.
    Another way to think about it; no ⓘ next to your Qudelix-5K means no iOS output. Time to pair that sucker.
  3. I have no idea why iPhone appears under the Bluetooth pairing menu once you're in the iOS paired mode. I am guessing it is microphone related.
iOS Bluetooth pairing page.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #819 of 4,815
Fellow owners; have I have it plugged in via USB and it's sounding sweet. However, as soon as I plug in the 5K via USB-C or hold down the power on button it immediately goes into Bluetooth pair mode. The DAC will function fine, but eventually turns off after no new bluetooth device is paired.

Is there a way to turn it on without it immediately jumping into bluetooth pairing mode?

UPDATE:
Okay, so I think I've worked it out.
I had to pair my iPhone through bluetooth and that stopped the 5K entering pairing mode every time it turned on.

Confusingly, there is now 3 different bluetooth pairings for the device. I will try to explain them as I think it works.
  1. When the 5K is on and in range of the Qudelix app paired device (iPhone), it will appear in the bluetooth paired menu, but without the ⓘ next to it. This appears even if you've not paired for iOS bluetooth output. Another way of thinking about this is that it will also be there if you're just using it as a USB DAC. Essentially, once you've paired your 5K with your primary controlling device, this is always available.
  2. The second case is once you've paired your device and now have 2x Qudelix-5K appearing in the bluetooth pairing iOS pairing menu. This is a good thing. One is so you can control the software side of it (above).
    The other, is so iOS can output to the device. Another way to think about it; no ⓘ next to your Qudelix-5K means no iOS output. Time to pair that sucker.
  3. I have no idea why an iPhone pair appears under the bluetooth pairing menu once you're in the iOS paired mode. I am guessing it is microphone related.
iOS bluetooth pairing page.
Absolutly the same here. Please make an update, to pair it with a usc-c to lightning cable.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #823 of 4,815
Unless QudeliX purposely add resistors onto the output of ES9218P (which I don't think they have nor needed to), the typical output impedance of the chip is about 1 ohm or less (or about 2 ohm or less for balanced).

Other measurements of the 5K are worse than e.g. the LG G7's measurements which uses the same ES9218P, so I don't think anything can be guaranteed. It would be good to get confirmation of the output impedance from an actual 5K user (or for Qudelix to just publish their measured value themselves).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #824 of 4,815
No shameless connector

it doesnt connected with ios
75757B44-E888-4E3A-8C46-5C31E337F004.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back