The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 18, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,232 of 4,782
Yup it is, not yet on German Amazon, found it though on eBay Poland with shipping to all Europe

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,233 of 4,782
Finally, my Qudelix 5K is here, and this thing is better than the 2 ES100 I have by far, mainly for four things:
  • Build quality
  • Better LDAC reception, my Es100 will start cutting after 6 meters away, Qudelix 5K start cutting after 9 meters, this 3D antenna is better (LDAC tested on Sony WM1A)
  • Better sound -to my ear and brain- on balanced SE846 comparing it directly to ES100 at almost a comparable EQ
  • Fantastic change of sound upon changing the EQ to the PEQ and start playing with it.
I will spend more time with it and report later, but this was an excellent purchase!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,234 of 4,782
My Q5K sounds superb with the FiiO FH7 (balanced). No EQ used.

With the Q5K, my impression is that the FH7 (balanced) sounds better than with the SE846 (single ended).

FH7 connected via short balanced copper wire, made by Ted Allen

Attachments

• Q5K FH7.jpg
    Q5K FH7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #1,236 of 4,782
Guys, is there is a PEQ import feature planned, I want to do this quickly on a text file and import/export to/from the app?

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,241 of 4,782
If you only have 10 headphones yes.
And if you only have one EQ profile for each.
It's disappointing that you can't at least overwrite the built in presets. I don't see why the number of profiles should be limited by the 5k's memory when the app can just transfer a new profile, which should not consist of much data, over Bluetooth. It's not like the 5K has a display that you can use to select a profile without using the app. At least it's better than 4 profiles on the ES100.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,242 of 4,782
And if you only have one EQ profile for each.
It's disappointing that you can't at least overwrite the built in presets. I don't see why the number of profiles should be limited by the 5k's memory when the app can just transfer a new profile, which should not consist of much data, over Bluetooth. It's not like the 5K has a display that you can use to select a profile without using the app. At least it's better than 4 profiles on the ES100.

When I read that my knee-jerk was "what're you complaining about," but taking a look at the PEQ, for each of the 10 bands, it's a byte for the filter, an unsigned short for the frequency, and a float for the gain and Q. All this plus a float for the pregain, plus a few pairs of bytes for the preset name. Feels like each preset should consume 1k, tops. And the type of memory the SoC requires is kinda cheap. Hmm...wonder why there're only 10 presets indeed.

And you're spot on that the device technically doesn't need to store all of the presets and definitely doesn't need them all in memory (which is kinda limited at either 256kb or 448kb). BUT, the device is competing with other standalone devices. It's kinda neat that the device doesn't require any phone in particular for configuration...any phone will do and the data's all there on the device. That's kinda neat.

Ur right that there's no way to export/import settings into the app, though. Feels like a missed opportunity, especially with the PEQ. Heh...they could even make a community around PEQ settings.

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #1,243 of 4,782
When I read that my knee-jerk was "what're you complaining about," but taking a look at the PEQ, for each of the 10 bands, it's a byte for the filter, an unsigned short for the frequency, and a float for the gain and Q. All this plus a float for the pregain, plus a few pairs of bytes for the preset name. Feels like each preset should consume 1k, tops. And the type of memory the SoC requires is kinda cheap. Hmm...wonder why there're only 10 presets indeed.

And you're spot on that the device technically doesn't need to store all of the presets and definitely doesn't need them all in memory (which is kinda limited at either 256kb or 448kb). BUT, the device is competing with other standalone devices. It's kinda neat that the device doesn't require any phone in particular for configuration...any phone will do and the data's all there on the device. That's kinda neat.

Ur right that there's no way to export/import settings into the app, though. Feels like a missed opportunity, especially with the PEQ. Heh...they could even make a community around PEQ settings.
I don't know why they need to store any presets other than the current preset in the onboard memory anyway. If you store the presets there, you can switch to them without transmitting them, for maximum speed. But if the size of the data for the preset is small enough like you estimated, it shouldn't take long at all to transmit over Bluetooth. I'd rather wait a second to transmit one of an arbitrary number of presets stored on the phone storage than be limited to what the onboard memory can fit, even if the presets are larger than we think.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,244 of 4,782
If you only have 10 headphones yes.

Heh! Ok :p Strange though, given how they've ticked all the other boxes, I would've thought that this feature is present and isn't limited to only 10 headphones. The ability to import/export PEQ settings too. Sounds like a missed opportunity on these two fronts. Hopefully the team could incorporate them in future.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,245 of 4,782
I don't know why they need to store any presets other than the current preset in the onboard memory anyway. If you store the presets there, you can switch to them without transmitting them, for maximum speed. But if the size of the data for the preset is small enough like you estimated, it shouldn't take long at all to transmit over Bluetooth. I'd rather wait a second to transmit one of an arbitrary number of presets stored on the phone storage than be limited to what the onboard memory can fit, even if the presets are larger than we think.
Yep. Exactly. This limit seems arbitrary and my guess can be addressed by simple app changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back