The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #949 of 4,741
Really? What about USB DACs like Schiit HEL that support the two-way microphone comms required for phone headsets?

Not the same thing.

OTG cable is the result of smartphone that doesn't quite have the full USB driver that a full OS will have. So an OTG cable is internally wired slightly different in order to trigger the host device into host mode. PC on the other hand just use software to detect whatever USB device it is connected to. Normally type-C implementation should have made OTG a thing of the past, but unfortunately smartphone OS haven't quite catch up yet.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #950 of 4,741
Sorry, I don't follow.

Are you saying that

Schiit HEL's microphone integration (USB DAC mode only) cannot be made to work with Android?

Or that it will work with some newer Android phones that do not require OTG but can work with normal USB cables?

Or that OTG can be two-way?

OTG cable is the result of smartphone that doesn't quite have the full USB driver that a full OS will have. So an OTG cable is internally wired slightly different in order to trigger the host device into host mode.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #951 of 4,741
Sorry, I don't follow.

Are you saying that

Schiit HEL's microphone integration (USB DAC mode only) cannot be made to work with Android?

Or that it will work with some newer Android phones that do not require OTG but can work with normal USB cables?

Or that OTG can be two-way?

HEL's microphone does not rely on its USB DAC but on its ADC - whether it will work depends on whether your smartphone's OS has the relevant USB ADC (mic) driver built in or not. But IIRC, Android does include the generic driver for USB mic. As long as HEL ADC is compatible with generic driver, you should be OK.

OTG on the other hand is more about whether a specific device can be powered by the smartphone or not. If the slave device is fully self-powered, OTG cable might not be needed if the receiver chip is configured correctly.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #952 of 4,741
HEL's microphone does not rely on its USB DAC but on its ADC
What I meant was, between the two HEL input modes, analog line in, and USB DAC, the microphone input is only enabled with the latter. Schiit failed to include a pass-through function for say a TRRS plug, their mic preamp/ADC functionality get disabled completely when you switch to analog input.

HEL does use USB for power, but Schiit recommends using a separate hub or wall wart since it really needs a full 2.1A of current.

I cannot find any confirmation that the HEL 2-way USB comms will work with Android.

From Schiit's website:

Digital: You can connect our DACs to many Android devices using a USB On The Go cable. Devices that shipped with Android M or N stock probably won't need additional player software, but earlier devices may need USB Audio Player Pro to play music. Some Android devices will need to be connected through a USB powered hub, since they cannot supply enough power to run the DAC.

_______
So, I infer from what you say, that yes it is true OTG means one-way only. Please someone confirm this explicitly.

If true, then as you say, HEL working with an Android device, would depend on the latter's ability to do USB Audio via a regular USB cable, not requiring OTG.

I have never heard of such a phone myself, so am pessimistic about HEL's microphone support working with Android smartphones.

I've sent an email to Schiit support, but with the holiday weekend. . .

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #953 of 4,741
Ordered one from a dealer on eBay in Poland. Should be here with me in the UK later this week.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #954 of 4,741
Marek Raczyński
AudioHeaven.eu
info@audioheaven.eu

Plenty of units currently in stock, seems very responsive

$125 to the US including UPS express shipping and full insurance

Besides Qudelix, also exclusive dealer in Poland for

iBasso, Dekoni, Spinfit, xDuoo, Oriolus, Moondrop, SatinAudio, VENTION, Dunu, TinHifi, HELM Audio, Fidue, VJJB, Miter, Earstudio, Anew, Sonicast, VE

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #960 of 4,741
I can confirm that EQ will work on USB DAC mode. You can use Qudelix app on your smartphone to change the EQ even in USB DAC mdoe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back