The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 5, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,686 of 4,753
The day lossless bluetooth audio is a thing, is the day the headphone cable officially dies... Granted it'll die a MUCH slower death in this here forum but still...
I think you have a good point, but I think it will still be a bit more complex…. The built in BT hardware and battery will add cost and bulk, so for any given price point and form factor, wired will still be better cost and quality. Then there is longevity…. Batteries fail over time which will reduce the longevity of wireless earphones.

But there is no denying that as soon as TWS becomes good enough, the marginal benefit of better wired IEMs is much less appealing…. For some that day is already here. For others it will come soon. For yet others it may be a long way off.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,687 of 4,753
For some that day is already here. For others it will come soon. For yet others it may be a long way off.
You're 100% right. Maybe my phrasing was just a bit too cynical and tounge n cheek?

All in good faith, I mean no harm. Hand on heart

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,688 of 4,753
I think you have a good point, but I think it will still be a bit more complex…. The built in BT hardware and battery will add cost and bulk, so for any given price point and form factor, wired will still be better cost and quality. Then there is longevity…. Batteries fail over time which will reduce the longevity of wireless earphones.
True, but the same arguments can be applied to other technology, too, and still in many cases the more complex and expensive stuff prevails. And through mass production prices get cheaper and cheaper. That is just how things in the technology field progress. A good example in the audio world are color screens on digital audio players. I still remember people arguing (in this forum!) that no one needs them and they just make players more expensive, eat battery life etc. Today, no one even thinks about it anymore....

By the way, if we talk about portable (and not stationary) audio, then the source has to be charged, too, and will be a "limiting factor" just as an earphone with battery, right? I feel that is something that is also often forgotten.
So imo it does not make a huge difference whether you charge one more device, maybe even by connecting them to eachother, like how some smart device makers are already aiming for...
Actually I think one day, what we call "source", will be integrated in an earphone anyway...and also there will be charging over the air!

Generally functionality is a huge factor. Many people say that they don`t mind a cable dangling around, but that applies only for the traditional way to use earphones to listen to music through a DAP or something.
But if you really think about it, wireless technology adds a whole lot of functionality. A good example is to use an earphone to watch a movie! For obvious reasons the TWS is a lot more flexible to do so, right? Think about TWS that automatically detect and connect to the digital source you are currently using and you get so many more usage scenarios. Because those scenarios are (or will become) more and more part of our daily life, there will be a lot more reasons to go wireless. And when such technology is so much integrated in our daily life, the audio industry will have to adjust to this, even though still some people might argue that wired earphones are "enough" to listen to music....the point is, the usage scenarios have changed over time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,689 of 4,753
True, but the same arguments can be applied to other technology, too, and still in many cases the more complex and expensive stuff prevails. And though mass production prices get cheaper and cheaper. That is just how things in the technology field progress. A good example in the audio world are color screens on digital audio players. I still remember people arguing (in this forum!) that no one needs them and they just make players more expensive, eat battery life etc. Today, no one even thinks about it anymore....

By the way, if we talk about portable (and not stationary) audio, then the source has to be charged, too, and will be a "limiting factor" just as an earphone with battery, right? I feel that is something that is also often forgotten.
So imo it does not make a huge difference whether you charge one more device, maybe even by connecting them to eachother, like how some smart device makers are already aiming for...
Actually I think one day, what we call "source", will be integrated in an earphone anyway...and also there will be charging over the air!

Generally functionality is a huge factor. Many people say that they don`t mind a cable dangling around, but that applies only for the traditional way to use earphones to listen to music through a DAP or something.
But if you really think about it, wireless technology adds a whole lot of functionality. A good example is to use an earphone to watch a movie! For obvious reasons the TWS is a lot more flexible to do so, right? Think about TWS that automatically detect and connect to the digital source you are currently using and you get so many more usage scenarios. Because those scenarios are (or will become) more and more part of our daily life, there will be a lot more reasons to go wireless. And when such technology is so much integrated in our daily life, the audio industry will have to adjust to this, even though still some people might argue that wired earphones are "enough" to listen to music....the point is, the usage scenarios have changed over time.
Please don’t misunderstand. I am not arguing against wireless audio. Along with numerous wired IEMs and headphones I also own 2 BT headphones and 7 TWS sets, as well as the BTR5 and 5K for use with my wired sets, so I definitely value wireless audio solutions. But, I do think that the additional functionality that comes from wireless adds cost and bulk and for now detracts from sound quality, so there are some benefits to wired solutions. Also at this time given the rapid pace of change in Bluetooth, wired solutions are likely to have longer “shelf life” - I would buy an IEM or headphone based on 2-3 year old technology, but I probably would not buy a wireless solution based on 2-3 year old technology. I suspect many would agree with that!

I believe that wired solutions will continue to have some benefits over wireless solutions but in time those benefits will go from important, to interesting, to irrelevant, especially as the gap closes and wireless has benefits that wired does not (convenience and even improved sound quality from ever improving DSP). Having been in computer engineering for more than 30 years I am well aware of the march of technology and cost, and how often yesterday’s inferior solution becomes the leader.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #2,690 of 4,753
Having been in computer engineering for more than 30 years I am well aware of the march of technology and cost, and how often yesterday’s inferior solution becomes the leader.

VHS sighs once again in the attic or the garage. "But... I won, didn't I?" she manages yet again to respond in the same way.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,692 of 4,753
Hey guys,

I have the 5K and I'm quite happy with it but never cared about the settings.

I have a few questions since I'm using the 5K just with Apple Music (via USB and Bluetooth) and I want to get the best sound out of it.
The setting in Apple Music is losless (ALAC up to 24 Bit / 48 kHz).

On the pictures you can see the settings of the 5K. Should I change anything to always get the best sound?

Also under DSP the QX-feed is off at 0. Would you activate this?

And I can probably neglect QX-over, right?

Thanks a lot four your help :)

IMG_0022.jpegIMG_0023.jpegIMG_0024.jpegIMG_0025.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,693 of 4,753
Hey guys,

I have a few questions since I'm using the 5K just with Apple Music (via USB and Bluetooth) and I want to get the best sound out of it.

On the pictures you can see the settings of the 5K. Should I change anything to always get the best sound?

Are you using an iPhone? Assuming yes since you are streaming Apple Music. If so, over Bluetooth, your Apple device is going to be limited to AAC. Apple doesn't support aptX, aptX HD, aptX adaptive or LDAC as far as I know. If not an Apple device, what codec your source device is capable of will determine what is streamed to the 5K. Both the transmitting device (e.g. phone) and receiving device (i.e. 5K) need to support the codec. Most newer mid- to high-end Android phones should support LDAC.

If using USB, the codec in the first two screenshots don't matter since those codecs are not being used and data is being sent directly over USB instead I would keep the USB sample rate at 44.1/44/88.2/96 just like you have it unless you are having issues or need USB mic.

Choice of filter is just personal preference. Use whatever sounds most enjoyable to you.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #2,694 of 4,753
Are you using an iPhone? Assuming yes since you are streaming Apple Music. If so, over Bluetooth, your Apple device is going to be limited to AAC. Apple doesn't support aptX, aptX HD, aptX adaptive or LDAC as far as I know. If not an Apple device, what codec your source device is capable of will determine what is streamed to the 5K. Both the transmitting device (e.g. phone) and receiving device (i.e. 5K) need to support the codec. Most newer mid- to high-end Android phones should support LDAC.

If using USB, the codec in the first two screenshots don't matter since those codecs are not being used and data is being sent directly over USB instead I would keep the USB sample rate at 44.1/44/88.2/96 just like you have it unless you are having issues or need USB mic.

Choice of filter is just personal preference. Use whatever sounds most enjoyable to you.
Yes, I'm using an iPhone respectively a MacBook most of the time for listening to music.

So when I understand you right I can leave the settings as they are?

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,695 of 4,753
Yes I think you should be fine. Just try some of the filters and see what you like.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,696 of 4,753
I just concluded a 6 hour drive yesterday wearing the 5K on my shirt with the X-overs in my ears. (The wife was watching her Korean dramas on her iPad which is partially why I bought the 5K being the ever-considerate spouse 😎.

I continue to use the Harmon 2019 setting. No listener fatigue whatsoever and surprisingly no ear fatigue either. The only quibble I had was I couldn’t stop my monkey bone from jumpin’ while listening to some R&B/Hip-Hop but cruise control came to the rescue. Damn, this 5K system is top notch!

The only setting I’ve changed is the ‘charge to 80%’ as recommended. I also bought the leather case. Fits like a glove. Hope youse guys are enjoying yours as much as I.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,697 of 4,753
If you are not using bluetooth then there is no codec needed (and it should not be using SBC). Codecs like SBC are for bluetooth playback (i.e. put simply, phone or other bluetooth transmitting device compressed data and sends to Qudelix 5K over bluetooth, which decompresses it and converts to analog signal using its DAC). If you use as USB DAC, the compression/decompression part over bluetooth does not occur and data is sent directly from source to 5K over USB. Just make sure your phone (or other device) is playing over USB and not over bluetooth. Not sure if it can be connected to both at the same time since I don't use the 5K as a USB dac/amp.

As for player, depends on what you are using as your source. If Android, something like UAPP should work to bypass Android resampling.
Thanks for your reply. :)

Okay, duly noted on the codecs not mattering since I'm using the USB DAC. Is there a certain place I look on my phone to make sure it isn't resampling or whatever? I have a Samsung S9+ (android). I will Google it...

And yeah, I'm unsure of what app to use to play my files. Gonna poke around. I've got several hundred GBs of flac on my PC.

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,698 of 4,753
Hey guys,

I can't help but feel like there is an objectively better or more accurate filter. My OCD is getting to me here.

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,699 of 4,753
Thanks for your reply. :)

Okay, duly noted on the codecs not mattering since I'm using the USB DAC. Is there a certain place I look on my phone to make sure it isn't resampling or whatever? I have a Samsung S9+ (android). I will Google it...

And yeah, I'm unsure of what app to use to play my files. Gonna poke around. I've got several hundred GBs of flac on my PC.
I recommend uapp. Works for your local files as well as Qobuz and Tidal. Android resamples to 48khz for USB DACs but UAPP allows you to by. pass it. I would imagine the 5K app would tell you sample rate. I dont use it as a USB DAC so cant really answer your question but for bluetooth, the codec and bitrate are displayed on the volume tab so maybe check there?

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #2,700 of 4,753
I recommend uapp. Works for your local files as well as Qobuz and Tidal. Android resamples to 48khz for USB DACs but UAPP allows you to by. pass it. I would imagine the 5K app would tell you sample rate. I dont use it as a USB DAC so cant really answer your question but for bluetooth, the codec and bitrate are displayed on the volume tab so maybe check there?
Ah! Yes! Thank you. Uh, 24 bit/44.1khz? That sound correct? Should I be changing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back