The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 10, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,702 of 4,753
Ah! Yes! Thank you. Uh, 24 bit/44.1khz? That sound correct? Should I be changing this?
That reading is fine, padding from 16 to 24 bits is a transparent operation, and it’s what allows UAPP to bypass the Android mixer’s destructive 44.1>48kHz resampling.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,705 of 4,753
This may seem like an odd question...

But is there any issue with having little headroom left on an amplifier once you've reached your desired volume? Does this do anything like reduce dynamic range? Further, does it matter if my precut is applied in the DSP options or in the parametric equalizer itself?

I ask because I'm driving my HD600 out of the qudelix, unbalanced. Applying Oratory's EQ (harman target) (see here if you don't know about Oratory's work: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/), I don't apply any precut in the standard options (where is is 0db, -6db, and -12db options), but instead apply the -5.5db of precut in the actual parametric equalizer (you can see Oratory's EQ values for the HD600 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0).

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,707 of 4,753
It's been some time after q5k.

Any need about the q5kS or anything?

I use it for more than one year .. as if every day.. a few days ago I was wondering what could be improved with this Q5K ..... I couldn't find anything .. I was wondering with these : a bit more power ? thx amp ? 4.4mm plug ? a new dac ? improve battery life ? less charging time ? But is there any one of these points a SQ improvement in real life or really more practical ?

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,708 of 4,753
Qudelix 5k newbie here. Tried searching before posting, but couldn't find anything about my issue.

I use a usb-c to lightning cable, using the 5k as a USB DAC (24bit/96khz - Apple Music Lossless) with my iPhone 12.
When pressing the play/pause button (blue upper) on the 5K, it automatically change the source to Bluetooth (A2DP#1).
Next/previous track works without changing source.
Do you know any way to use the play/pause button with the USB DAC and not just with BT/A2DP #1?

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,709 of 4,753
I use it for more than one year .. as if every day.. a few days ago I was wondering what could be improved with this Q5K ..... I couldn't find anything .. I was wondering with these : a bit more power ? thx amp ? 4.4mm plug ? a new dac ? improve battery life ? less charging time ? But is there any one of these points a SQ improvement in real life or really more practical ?
The Q5K - in my opinion - could use a complete physical makeover. Don‘t get me wrong. I am a fan of the functionality, features, and performance. But the unit feels cheap, the button layout is an exercise in light frustration, and the attached clip just adds bulk if you aren’t using the clip. Would I replace my Q5K with a new model that just upgrades the form factor? Probably not. But it is the one aspect of the Q5K that I think is sub optimal.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,710 of 4,753
The Q5K - in my opinion - could use a complete physical makeover. Don‘t get me wrong. I am a fan of the functionality, features, and performance. But the unit feels cheap, the button layout is an exercise in light frustration, and the attached clip just adds bulk if you aren’t using the clip. Would I replace my Q5K with a new model that just upgrades the form factor? Probably not. But it is the one aspect of the Q5K that I think is sub optimal.
The form factor sucks. The buttons click too easily. Is there even a lock option? I foresee accidental presses...

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,711 of 4,753
Strange ..
I feel the opposite as, for me, it is the only USB BT DAC on the market to be usable with a simple T-shirt and a short balanced cable ( ddHiFi BC50B) because of the convenient integrated clip and I can keep the smartphone android 10 in a pocket and be still in BT LDAC mode at 990kps. I got used to the buttons too ..

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,712 of 4,753
Strange ..
I feel the opposite as, for me, it is the only USB BT DAC on the market to be usable with a simple T-shirt and a short balanced cable ( ddHiFi BC50B) because of the convenient integrated clip and I can keep the smartphone android 10 in a pocket and be still in BT LDAC mode at 990kps. I got used to the buttons too ..
Absolutely makes sense! This is going to be one of those things that comes down to personal tastes and use cases. :)

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,713 of 4,753
Strange ..
Agree, I like the built in clip. I also seem to be of the minority but I really like the simple black plastic body. It is sturdy and I don't care if it gets thrown around. Glass and metal are more likely to break or show scratches but my Qudelix 5k is now over a year old and I can just throw it in a bag or clip it in a pocket and.not worry about a case or anything (mine is still in great shape). My only complaint is that, while I have gotten used to the button layout (there is a notch on one of the buttons so I don't even need to look), I do wish the buttons had more resistance to prevent accidental touches. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing about the design itself.

@jsmiller58 - also agree the clip is just personal preference. Look at how many people were complaining about the lack of a built-in clip on the IFI GO Blu thread. Think a built in clip vs no clip is just something where manufacturers will not be able to make everyone happy. I don't think I would buy if they didn't have an integrated clip.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,714 of 4,753
Agree, I like the built in clip. I also seem to be of the minority but I really like the simple black plastic body. It is sturdy and I don't care if it gets thrown around. Glass and metal are more likely to break or show scratches but my Qudelix 5k is now over a year old and I can just throw it in a bag or clip it in a pocket and.not worry about a case or anything (mine is still in great shape). My only complaint is that, while I have gotten used to the button layout (there is a notch on one of the buttons so I don't even need to look), I do wish the buttons had more resistance to prevent accidental touches. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing about the design itself.

@jsmiller58 - also agree the clip is just personal preference. Look at how many people were complaining about the lack of a built-in clip on the IFI GO Blu thread. Think a built in clip vs no clip is just something where manufacturers will not be able to make everyone happy. I don't think I would buy if they didn't have an integrated clip.
Yup, the form factor (plastic body, built in clip, buttons) are all up to personal taste, hence why I stressed what I wrote was “in my opinion” :). I am super happy that the existing form factor thrills some, and certainly for me the functionality and performance more than make up for what are to me the physical shortcomings.

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,715 of 4,753
I can think of one new feature that will improve on 5K's already formidable features: independent EQ for each channel.

Earphones don't come with perfectly matched channels. Graphs usually show this. The mismatch is obvious when you play a Sinewave sweep across the frequency range and hear the signal shift laterally when it should stay constant at the center. For instance, on my new Timeless, the signal shifts a quarter width to the right from 3khz to 3.7khz.

Independent channel EQ will help us to tweak out the difference between the drivers, improving stereo stability and soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back