The Qudelix-5K thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,981 of 4,753
I'd really like to be able to use LDAC/aptX-HD on PC
You actually can, but you need to work for it :wink: :)

You install Oracle Virtualbox, then install Archlinux on it and set so it automatically captures your bt dongle when it starts. When done with the archlinux installation it will support only SBC by default, so you need to modify the bluetooth stack so it will support AAC/aptx/aptxHD/LDAC. So now we can connect the receiver with all of the above codecs, or even use it as sink with up to aptx HD(send audio from phone to PC). If you want the easy way out, you can consider the deed done and just copy your music to the virtual machine and listen to it from there.
If you want to take it further, you install Voicemeeter on your pc(we need the VBAN component) and instal VBAN receptor on the Linux VM. When setup and running, all audio from the Windows host is routed to the Linux guest. If you have NVME it takes around 15 seconds for all the setup to start when needed, and usses less than 100mb ram, so it can be left running in the background no problem. The whole process of starting the apps and switching to correct audio interfaces i have automated with bat file, so its a 1 click thing after you initially set it up.

Another option, simpler setup wise but might not be as convenient as you need a phone. Voicemeeter on pc and VBAN Receptor app on phone.Free version of receptor can stream up to 48/16 , paid up to 96/24. And then you stream audio from your pc to your phone, where you have your receiver connected through LDAC. Wont work over 2.4Ghz WiFi, either 5Ghz or phone usb tethered to pc. If you have an android box that has aptx HD or LDAC, that would also be good option by using ethernet connection.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,984 of 4,753
Actually decided to try the cable meant to be used with pc (c to usb) and plug that into otg and Neutron popped up asking for direct usb access. But it kept cutting out for whatever reason. I then also tried the standard c to c that came with it and it also worked then (Even said USB DAC or something like that in the app) but also kept cutting out. And I don't understand as the phones port isn't dirty or even dusty from what I can tell and it works fine on pc.
I'd like to report I fixed the issue.

Phone has an option to enable or disable otg connection and I only now realized I had to enable it. I don't know how I didn't see this sooner.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,985 of 4,753
My bad. I forgot about the "high quality audio" switch in connections -> bluetooth -> qudelix 5k. I forget whether it defaulted to on or off for the ES100 when I got it, but it certainly defaulted to off for the 5K. After turning it on, it defaults to LDAC.

I thought about disabling aptX from the 5K's app, but wanted to leave it enabled for when I use it wirelessly with Windows since at least my PC bluetooth adapters all only do aptX or SBC. It's a bummer, I'd really like to be able to use LDAC/aptX-HD or aptX-adaptive for lower latency on PC.

If your PC has an SPDIF output, take a look at the FiiO BTA30.
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphone/dp/B08LM68KN8

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,986 of 4,753
Yay! I've made an updated version of the soft TPU case I designed to include covered buttons with tactile feel on both sides so you can quickly and easily press the correct button without having to look at it. Perfect if you like to carry the device in your pocket or bag.

I have 3 versions of the case. Color choices in Black, Translucent Green, and Translucent Orange:
  • NEW: - Covered, Tactile buttons
    • PXL_20210228_164618978.jpg
      PXL_20210228_164435891.jpg

• Nibbed on side with the nibbed device button
    • PXL_20210228_215500238.jpg

• No nib
    • PXL_20210222_185801989.jpg
Always to love to hear feedback. Please reach out if you have any questions!

Attachments

• PXL_20210228_065823842.jpg
    PXL_20210228_065823842.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,987 of 4,753
If your PC has an SPDIF output, take a look at the FiiO BTA30.
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphone/dp/B08LM68KN8
"The world's first Bluetooth transceiver that supports LDAC"
Thank you, I think I'm going to buy this. If I was using Linux full time, I'd just grab the Pulseaudio modules, but using an audio forwarder app and a VM just seems too roundabout. Now if only there was an option on this transmitter for aptX-Adaptive so I can watch videos in my browser instead of always using VLC and messing with audio delay settings. It's like as soon as devices start showing up that support aptX-LL, the 5K appears with aptX-Adaptive instead. I'm hoping I can get it to be stable and close enough to synced using LDAC and the 100ms option on the 5K.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,988 of 4,753
Thank you, I think I'm going to buy this. If I was using Linux full time, I'd just grab the Pulseaudio modules, but using an audio forwarder app and a VM just seems too roundabout. Now if only there was an option on this transmitter for aptX-Adaptive so I can watch videos in my browser instead of always using VLC and messing with audio delay settings. It's like as soon as devices start showing up that support aptX-LL, the 5K appears with aptX-Adaptive instead. I'm hoping I can get it to be stable and close enough to synced using LDAC and the 100ms option on the 5K.

Back around Christmas of 2018, I managed to get an old Asus Netbook, running Mint Linux, to transmit BT LDAC to my Shanling M0 DAP -
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-3-5.874859/post-14681439

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,989 of 4,753
Just note that LDAC doesnt work if you connect BTA30 via USB to the PC, transmits LDAC only when coax/optical inputs are used.

Your phone should support aptx adaptive, so if youre curious you can try the chain - Voicemeeter(VBAN) on pc and VBAN Receptor on android. VBAN itself doesnt add too much latency by the look of it when set up with minimal buffer.By using some sync sample videos it seems its around 30ms.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #1,990 of 4,753
Just note that LDAC doesnt work if you connect BTA30 via USB to the PC, transmits LDAC only when coax/optical inputs are used.
I saw this in the specs. I don't have coaxial SPDIF on my PC which would give the widest range of supported sample rates, but I do have optical which looks like it's more than good enough.

Your phone should support aptx adaptive, so if youre curious you can try the chain - Voicemeeter(VBAN) on pc and VBAN Receptor on android. VBAN itself doesnt add too much latency by the look of it when set up with minimal buffer.By using some sync sample videos it seems its around 30ms.
My Galaxy S7 Edge doesn't have adaptive.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,991 of 4,753
I saw this in the specs. I don't have coaxial SPDIF on my PC which would give the widest range of supported sample rates, but I do have optical which looks like it's more than good enough.
Youre set then.
While win10 sort of made it easier to choose the needed output by the volume icon, it still lists all available outputs physical and virtual(most of which you dont need). So im using this little app for output switching as it can hide unneeded interfaces, might prove handy for your use scenario.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,993 of 4,753
Little question here from a prospective owner : I'd like to pair them with the HD560S and connect the latter single ended to the Qudelix 5K using this cable with an inline mic and a 3.5mm TRRS plug : https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-cable-ptt-12-m-dia-3-mm

Apparently at some point Qudelix mentioned that the single ended 3.5mm output would be compatible with TRRS plugs. I'm not interested in the inline mic at all (if it works it's a bonus but if it doesn't I don't care), but I'd like to know if the TRRS plug effectively works or not with the single ended 3.5mm output or if it could cause any problem / incompatibility. In fewer words : do you get sound out of the single ended 3.5mm output when using a cable with a TRRS plug ? Has anyone tried it ?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,994 of 4,753
Little question here from a prospective owner : I'd like to pair them with the HD560S and connect the latter single ended to the Qudelix 5K using this cable with an inline mic and a 3.5mm TRRS plug : https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-cable-ptt-12-m-dia-3-mm

Apparently at some point Qudelix mentioned that the single ended 3.5mm output would be compatible with TRRS plugs. I'm not interested in the inline mic at all (if it works it's a bonus but if it doesn't I don't care), but I'd like to know if the TRRS plug effectively works or not with the single ended 3.5mm output or if it could cause any problem / incompatibility. In fewer words : do you get sound out of the single ended 3.5mm output when using a cable with a TRRS plug ? Has anyone tried it ?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it works with 3.5 TRRS. You can select between the in-line mic and the 5K built-in mic in the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back