The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Oct 30, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #92 of 987
Alright, folks, enough with the price speculation! The low-ball prices in this thread are just plain dreaming! Why would a smaller, newer, quieter, amp WITH a built-in USB dac be the same price as a Hornet or SR-71? Doesn't make any sense at all. Similarly off the mark is the hope that Ray would do a 25% discount on pre-orders! How could that make sense? Sometimes there is a pre-order/Head-Fi discount but certainly $100 off. Don't get your expectations -- and the expectations of those reading this thread -- way too high (or low as the case may be).

OK, so Ray himself said in Florida this weekend that the price will be between $400 and $500. The Pico is $500, and the Predator is likely to be close to that number. It makes sense when you compare the two products -- both winners now that I and others had a chance to hear them ourselves -- and when even moreso when you compare the much smaller Predator to HeadRoom's Micro Amp and Micro DAC. Those separate are $400 each ($700 each for Ultra) and the soon-to-be-released Micro Amp with internal DAC will be $600. Realistically, Ray cannot be expected to release the Predator for too much less than $500.

More interesting is what the Predator will look like in the case and when it will be on the streets. Ray does amazing case work and I expect the Predator to meet his high standards.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #93 of 987
Mr. Samuels, sorry for asking all of these questions, but is there a date that you have in mind for releasing this information??? (pics and prices mainly)

Thank you so much!

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #95 of 987
shhhivering in Voltron's wet blanket.
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #96 of 987
Getting back to the DAC connection type, what were the primary factors in deciding not to go with an optical connector, in addition to USB? It's been suggested that power and size are the primary reasons, though I'd image cost is an obvious one as well.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #98 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, folks, enough with the price speculation! The low-ball prices in this thread are just plain dreaming! Why would a smaller, newer, quieter, amp WITH a built-in USB dac be the same price as a Hornet or SR-71? Doesn't make any sense at all. Similarly off the mark is the hope that Ray would do a 25% discount on pre-orders! How could that make sense? Sometimes there is a pre-order/Head-Fi discount but certainly $100 off. Don't get your expectations -- and the expectations of those reading this thread -- way too high (or low as the case may be).

OK, so Ray himself said in Florida this weekend that the price will be between $400 and $500. The Pico is $500, and the Predator is likely to be close to that number. It makes sense when you compare the two products -- both winners now that I and others had a chance to hear them ourselves -- and when even moreso when you compare the much smaller Predator to HeadRoom's Micro Amp and Micro DAC. Those separate are $400 each ($700 each for Ultra) and the soon-to-be-released Micro Amp with internal DAC will be $600. Realistically, Ray cannot be expected to release the Predator for too much less than $500.

More interesting is what the Predator will look like in the case and when it will be on the streets. Ray does amazing case work and I expect the Predator to meet his high standards.

Well stated, Voltron. I agree... I don't see this coming in for much less than $500.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #99 of 987
So what I want to know is...

in regards to the amp, is the Predator intended to be a step up, step down, or equal to the Tomahawk (build wise)?

RSA has a hierarchy with the Tomahawk, Hornet, and SR-71, and the description for the predator is essentially the size and PCBs of the Tomahawk, with SMD's of the SR-71. Not sure what's in the Tomahawk, to compare where this amp 'technically' falls.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #100 of 987
Yet another RSA delight for the eyes and the ears. Count me in!

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #104 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has the price been determined since the OP?

Ray said watch this thread for the latest. Pricing and Date have not yet been set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back