The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #288 of 493
El Ten Eleven's latest album, Still Like a Secret has appeared on Spotify. Excellent rip roaring bass/guitar.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #289 of 493
Melodic, slow/fast, some vocals and nice use of the trumpet. Foxhole.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #290 of 493
It has taken me a while to get into Tarentel. They sound as if they are jamming and it can be a bit repetitive, but when in the right mood the sound works.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #291 of 493
Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges, on the Constellation label (which any post-rock fan should be familiar with).

Challenging and rewarding in equal measure; it's some of the most powerful music I've heard in years.

This is a step outside your usual post-rock instrumentation: For the most part, it's a solo saxophone, no overdubs or loops. Laurie Anderson appears with some spoken word contributions. Before you say anything about whether he belongs in this thread, give a fair listen to this video of him performing the first two tracks:

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #292 of 493
Outstanding. But I do not think it is post rock. Post rock is using the standard rock instruments to play progressive, experimental music. If anything I would class this album as minimalism. If you like it try the likes of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Terry Riley.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #293 of 493
NZ band Jakob now have some tracks available up on Soundcloud <http://soundcloud.com/jakobtheband/>.
This is instrumental music that you may find similar in style to Mogwai. 
Dynamic, impressive soundscapes.
Band website: <http://www.munarecords.co.nz/Jakob08/>

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #294 of 493
Explosions In The Sky's latest album 'Take Care, Take Care, Take Car'. If you like Mogwai and vice versa...

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #295 of 493
Epic, just wonderful

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #296 of 493
Yeah, I have been enjoying the new Mogwai as well.  Good stuff.  Overall I still think The Hawk Is Howling is the better record, and I don't at all care for the "vocals" that are on a couple of the tracks on the new one, but still, lots of the record is really cool music.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #297 of 493
I think that the vocals add a new layer to the music. Live the new album went down a bomb and the audience appreciated new as much as old. I was reading some reviews of the album and I think that with their whole output they could easily stagnate if they did not keep on adding. Post rock is a kind of limiting genre, unlike say prog rock.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #298 of 493
MOGWAI TOMORROW!!!!! :DDD

I'm thinking that it's going to be an absolutely blistering show, I'm getting super duper excited.

Also, on the subject of the new album, The more I listen to it, the more I like it... IT'S GOOD! :wink:

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #299 of 493
I will be there also! 

Also ASIWYFA's new album is on their bandcamp now and it is amazing!

http://asiwyfa.bandcamp.com/

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #300 of 493
I am going to see ASIWYFA for the second time next month. They must hold some sort of record for being constantly on tour. Thanks for the link to the new album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back