The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Feb 25, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #257 of 493
Any headphone that majors in detail and clarity, such as AKGs in general, are ideal for the many layered complex music of post/math rock. But Skylab, are we not going a bit off topic here, this thread is about post/math rock. Keep the headphone recommendations to the headphone section of the forum
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #258 of 493
OK OK - I was just answering a question - I should have resisted
redface.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #259 of 493
Quote:
Re Don Cabellero...

Whoops. Missed that mention. Turns out a couple other bands' names I dropped were also brought up earlier.

Huge amount of great music being recommended here, and I've been spending a chunk of this week on YouTube listening to examples. I don't know whether or not to thank everybody for all the albums I'm going to have to buy...

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #260 of 493

Quote:
Whoops. Missed that mention. Turns out a couple other bands' names I dropped were also brought up earlier.

Huge amount of great music being recommended here, and I've been spending a chunk of this week on YouTube listening to examples. I don't know whether or not to thank everybody for all the albums I'm going to have to buy...

Sorry about your wallet. 
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #261 of 493
Listened today to the new Mogwai album, finally. Generally liked it, but a mixed bag. Ironically, when I first was adding about Mogwai, I hesitated to check it out due to the complete lack of vocals. Picked up The Hawk is Howling, and absolutely loved it. The irony is that the tracks on the new record that have vocals are my least favorite by FAR. I could do without them completely. I like Mogwai when at their most brooding. Tracks 1, 4 and 6 I especially enjoyed. Solid effort, but not up to "Hawk", IMHO.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #262 of 493
Solid effort, but not up to "Hawk", IMHO.

I was a HUGE fan of Hawk, it was my first Mogwai album, and it just rocks so hard.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #263 of 493
Mogwai opened their gig with White Noise from the new album. The audience reception was as good for the new album as it was for the 'old classics'. I also love the epic closing mammoth of a track 'Music for a forgotten future'. Live, because the sound is so loud you hardly noticed the vocals, they just became another layer to the sound.

Next gig is a post rock double bill with Maybeshewill and Long Distance Calling.

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #264 of 493

Quote:
Mogwai opened their gig with White Noise from the new album. The audience reception was as good for the new album as it was for the 'old classics'. I also love the epic closing mammoth of a track 'Music for a forgotten future'. Live, because the sound is so loud you hardly noticed the vocals, they just became another layer to the sound.

Next gig is a post rock double bill with Maybeshewill and Long Distance Calling.

Jealous. Hardly ever get any decent post bands down in Aus.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #265 of 493
I know Matthew, I had had no idea that the Post Rock scene was so active and Scotland (maybe Mogwai's influence) is well and truly on the map. I subscribe to a site called Songkick which allows you to track bands and will e-mail you when one of your bands posts a gig near you.

So as of yesterday I am having a birthday treat and will be going to see Battles.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #266 of 493

Quote:
I know Matthew, I had had no idea that the Post Rock scene was so active and Scotland (maybe Mogwai's influence) is well and truly on the map. I subscribe to a site called Songkick which allows you to track bands and will e-mail you when one of your bands posts a gig near you.

So as of yesterday I am having a birthday treat and will be going to see Battles.

Thanks for the tip. Enjoy Battles, will be amazing no doubt!

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #267 of 493
An absolute epic of an album, Germany's Long Distance Calling new self titled work.......

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #269 of 493
Just got a ticket to see ASIWYFA when they come back to Glasgow in May.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #270 of 493
I'm thinking about going to see Mogwai down in Chicago in April... Will it be worth the trip??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back